Cutting out mid drive, turning over not starting!

jamesotter

Aug 30, 2017
Hey everyone

Been looking over the forum for similar problem but not found anything exact yet

A few weeks ago I started having a problem where my Ibiza wouldn't re-start after stalling, it took maybe ten attempts of taking the key out and putting it back in to convince it to fire up again, although it would always turnover absolutely fine.

Whilst attempting I noticed that the times it wouldn't restart there would be 2 things different to any normal start up procedure:

1) the check engine light would not be lit
2) the engine temperature dial would not rise at all

Anyway, after living with this issue for a while it started happening irregularly when trying to start it after being parked up., sometimes after a few attempts it would work, other times it would take 30 mins of trying.

Then after a while longer it started completely cutting out mid driving

Since that happened I got it home and parked it up on the drive, and now it will no longer start at all. When turning the key all the dash lights up except from the CEL and the engine temp dial

The car turns over but never starts!

Has anyone had this issue before or any advice of what it could be?

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
It turns over ok all the time? or does sometimes you turn the key and nothing happens at all??

Have you read codes with VCDS?

jamesotter

Aug 30, 2017
It turns over ok all the time? or does sometimes you turn the key and nothing happens at all??

Have you read codes with VCDS?

It always turns over and sounds healthy when doing so (not weak like a low/dead battery)

Waiting on a VCDS reader to arrive later in the week!

jamesotter

Aug 30, 2017
Update:

No codes displaying whatsoever on the OBD2 reader

I got the car to start tonight and it sat idling happily for 3 minutes and then just completely cut out again unexpectedly - and now it won't start again (no CEL when key in ignition again)

I haven't tried anything with the coolant temp sensor but based on the above do we think it could still be this in play?

JR_130

Mar 24, 2009
i had a similar issue on my old Ibiza
intermittently would cut out unexpectedly and turning over lots before starting.
garage scanned the car while it was in for a service, and was putting out a cam sensor error
got a New Genuine Cam sensor a few days later, easily diy fitted, and the problems went away.

I have had limited success with OBD readers, not showing up errors. if you can get VCDS or get someone with VCDS to scan for you, should give you a complete picture.
hope you get it sorted.

jamesotter

Aug 30, 2017
Update:

Not touched the car since yesterday

It now starts up without fail (tried about 10 times) even had it sat idling for 30 mins without it cutting out

Temp gauge working correctly

This thing has a mind of its own

Daren't take it out on the road in case it fails on me again at 30/40mph and have to pull over

Still clueless as to what could be causing this but logic is pointing towards a dodgy sensor??

jamesotter

Aug 30, 2017
6750d262af5a610d26c8b9bb4300fe55.jpg

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Those are useless unfortunately, they barely pick up any faults.
It must be a VCDS scan.

I agree but there was a good VAG specific one around that would give full range of VAG codes on that age of car - I sold mine as my cars are now too new for it and a newer version was not marketed, so I bought Carista to carry in the car while having VCDS for home use.

jamesotter

Aug 30, 2017
Realised I never updated this thread - turned out to be a very cheap relay in the engine bay somewhere, it was slightly burned out and causing the fault!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.