DA Detailing for beginners

ciaranmcw

Apr 21, 2018
Hi All,

I just bought a Dual Action polisher and am looking to do a fairly full detail in two weeks.

Just a few questions on which products are best really.

I am going to fully wash, decontaminate and clay the car prior.
Q1 - Do I need to de-tar also?

Then I was going to Polish and Wax.
Q2 - Do I need Compound?

I currently have the following two products for that
Autoglym Super Resin Polish
Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection

But from what I have read online, the polish is not very good at cutting and removing swirls long term.

So I have looked at the following instead
Meguiars Ultimate Polish
OR
Dodo Juice Lime Prime

Also considering getting Meguiars Deep Crystal Carnauba Car Wax to apply with the DA intead of the AG Gloss

(I also have Meguiar's G18216EU Ultimate Liquid Wax 473ml)

Any help is greatly appreciated

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
It really depends on the condition of the paintwork you are working with. The deeper the clearcoat is damaged, the more of it you'll have to remove and the heavier the cutting compound. The best advice I've gotten is to start with the least abrasive and if it's a stubbon scratch/swirl then move to something slightly more aggressive.

I heard ultimate compound is good. Some companies like autofinesse, poorboys and autobrite do different grades (1-3) of cutting polish as well as a finishing polish.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Tar removal is a good idea. Just spray on before the wash. Clay will remove it, but can also spread it about.

SRP is more a glaze than a polish really, it has a very mild cut. I've used Meguires Ultimate Compound in the past, its dead easy to use, doesnt need working to break it down and leaves a clear finish. SRP can then be used on top.

Not a big fan of Autoglym generally, Extra gloss protection is a very average product and not at all durable. There are plenty of better spray sealants you can use.

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
Forget autoglym extra gloss protection its crap at best.

Chemical guys jet seal is my preferred. One coat can give up to 12 months protection even without a topping of wax..

Top this up with a layer of wax and will last even longer

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

ciaranmcw

Apr 21, 2018
So I now have
Chemical Guys Vss Scratch And Swirl Remover
And
Chemical Guys White Light Hybrid Radiant Finish

I was thinking of getting the Meguirs Hybrid wax as it's on sale in Halfords - would it go SSR, hybrid radiant finish them the wax ?

I also have Sonax Xtreme Brilliant Shine Detailer if that's any use or better ?
And Carolan No1 Super Gloss

I plan to
Wash
Iron out
Clay
Polish
And whatever else then after

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Yes thats the correct order. As long as the paint gives nice and clear reflections after the swirl remover you dont need to use anything finer to polish it up, just use the radiant finish. Waxing on top isn't really necessary since the Radiant finish is a sealant as well, but it can give a deeper look to wax on top. It may not stick though and just fall off the sealant layer in a matter of a week.

The Sonax BSD is great stuff, its pretty much a sealant all by itself, and super cheap, so I use it after every wash as a drying aid and detailer. Using it like that you dont really ever need to use anything else until you feel the need to remove and swirls or scratches again.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.