:( Dahlback manifold does'nt fit MK3 Ibiza

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Well been playing with the ibiza today.. (day off Lupo playing.. well afternoon off..) anyhows..

Got round to fitting Dahlback inlet manifold and EVOshield insulator gasket this afternoon.
Good news is EVOshield works as well as my Jetta one did.. Stays very cool no matter what I did to the thing... significant improvment on "touch" feel to mani... it remained "cool" literally to the touch. - Did'nt do before.
Turbo and mani glowing red hot at the time, so it was some high boost playful testing shall we say.

Now the bad news which really pizzed me off.. Dahlback manifold does'nt fit Ibiza.. :(
It sits too high hitting bonnet. Not impressed at all sorry to say. Asked Dahlback to confirm before I bought it (Hans himself) if it fitted Ibiza... does it heck as like! Going to be returned shortly.
Not what you expect on something which costs that much. Not like its nearly missing the bonnet stiffeners, it hits badly, not allowing for engine movement as well.. its a simple no go. Bugger! :censored:

Going to make my own version I think in proper largeport style, plenum radiused ram pipes and slot filling cone inlet. Oh well. Gotta try these things I spose. :whistle:

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Its a shame Bill, ive seen the one on Ed's golf and it looks awesome.

Strangley enough its almost the same as the inlet manifold on the WRC Fabia I see the other day.

LCR mat

LCR Eater
Apr 4, 2004
merthyr Tydfil
simple solution cet a new bonnet made out of carbon fibre( with a nice big lump in it to fit) (could also put some air vents in)

ibizacupra said:
It sits too high hitting bonnet. Not impressed at all sorry to say

Reminds me of the time (many years back now) when i fitted a mates Dolomite sprint with a SAAB 16v fuel injected engine (they share the same block!) Basically we did all our research, spoke to loads of people, everyone said "yeah, goes straight in, people even claimed to have done it". SO.............

we whipped out the old engine, stick the new one in, rewired, re plumbed, made a new exhaust, changing fuel tank etc so we could get a HP injection pump in etc etc etc, all looked fine, then we turned the key, brum, brum, fired straight up, ran fine, sounded lovely.

then we tried to shut the bonnet DOH! :redface:

one angle grinder later and it closed :roflmao: (my mate drove round for about 6months with most of the plenum and throttle body sticking out the hole)

Anyway, i guess Bill you've got 3 options:

1) dry sump the engine and lower it in the car - major phaff!
2) carbon or similar bonnet or bonnet bulge.
3) make yourself a new one that fits

well theres a nice new winter project for you! :whistle:

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
max_torque said:
3) make yourself a new one that fits

well theres a nice new winter project for you! :whistle:

I'll be taking option (3) - LOL
winter project indeed.

At least the EVOshield works as I expected it to..

DOH! Blummin swedes eh! You'd think they would actually have fitted one to an Ibiza before saying "sure they fit no problem". Asked specifically. Grrr.

Oh well. :rolleyes:

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
Oh dear, bet that is'nt cheep :blink:

And they dont resume trading until next Monday....

I'd modify the bonnet, nice clearence bulge and a few vents for cooling....

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
pictures here>>
Spot the problem eh?
dahlback-bonnet-interferance2.jpg

Woops when slamming the bonnet down to see where it touched.. LOL
dahlback-bonnet-interferance.jpg

dahlback-bonnet-interferance3.jpg

dahlback-bonnet-interferance4.jpg

dahlback-bonnet-interferance5.jpg

Poor old dipstick was bent well out of shape also.. would need heating up and bending away to access it.

Glenn

Oct 15, 2001
Visit site
ibizacupra said:
Woops when slamming the bonnet down to see where it touched.. LOL.

I was thinking "You didn't.....did you?"
Then I saw this :
dahlback-bonnet-interferance.jpg

Ooops, he did!

Is that the EVOshield I can see between head & Dahlback?

dahlback-bonnet-interferance5.jpg

Chop 20mm out of each runner?

Or combine Badger 5 TB's with large plenum as discussed in another thread?

Shock_Xe

Mannifold looks good, but ooops, Its not even slightly too big, looks way out from the side view u took :blink:

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
its only for BT engines, pointless on a remapped car as you wouldnt max the flow out of the standard manifold.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I was going to fit EVOshield with Dahlback, but as you can see there was'nt exactly any spare room, let alone another 1/4 inch.. LOL
I did slam it to make a dent to see where it hit..

I could remove the stiffeners and help make more space, and mess about with engine mounts to try and drop the motor etc but why should I? It should fit FFS should'nt it? Not exactly a cheap component. Engine movement would also have to be allowed for.. so more space than removing stiffeners alone would be req'd I think.

The port filling is via a slot in the coned inlet, so even cylinder filling should be possible, and enhanced mapping to make use of this even airflow. Plenum is slightly larger than mine was, but not greatly. Dahlback did not say it will make power when I emailed him a Vortex arguement about their mani, but he said when optimised for ign and boost it can make more power.. (well that theory goes for stock mani aswell I guess.. LOL.. more ign more boost = more power)

Copra

Used To Be "mk4polo"
Feb 7, 2003
Hampshire
Visit site
thing is, what did you ask?

"will it fit the ibiza engine?" - answer to that would be yes
"will it fit the ibiza engine BAY?" - answer would be noooo!
thats prob what they will say anyways!