Daily commuter turned out to be a pocket rocket

DirtyDerv

Apr 3, 2012
In a far away Land
I went out and test drove some used cars over the weekend as I just cant afford to run 500 - 700 miles a week my celica and stubled on the odd looking Ibiza, I thought it's got a lot of Vag running gear so what the hell......

About 2 mins in to the test drive I made the guy an offer and I now have a 2003 Ibiza 1.9 tdi 130? ......

It corners like poop so need to do some work on it, loving the torque, really needs a service, but apart from that it's all good!

Have purchased oil, oil filter and looking for a decent panel filter...

How much does the tank hold? I popped £50 in there and it was off the chart, small tank? mone the less!

I have posted in the wated section if anyone has the following for sale

Lowering springs
Panel filter
strut brace
Brake fluid cap

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
It needs to conform to VW 505.01 standard - look at the small print, or tell us the brand name and type.

This thread in the Diesel Engine section of the forum gives a summary of the types suitable for the various TDI engines

505.01 oils are generally 5w40 or 5w30. Big list here

505.01 oil has a higher shear load tolerance. The usual reason given for this need is the shear loads in the unit injectors, but the most common symptom of low-spec lubrication in a PD engine is exhaust cam and cam follower wear and failure.

Because the PD engine has an extra cam for the PD unit injector itself, the inlet and exhaust cam lobes are narrower than would normally be the case for an 8-valve engine. This narrower cam means that the shear load under it is higher, and the exhaust cam fails first - presumably because it has a steeper opening ramp than the inlet cam.

The PD cam follower is a pivoted lever with a roller at the cam, and so although it has a very steep ramp to drive the injector, the roller minimises the wear.

Jan 21, 2012
google PD chocolate cam for further info, my brothers PD150 suffered cam failure within a year of purchasing the car( ~4 years old and 60K miles ish).

DirtyDerv

Apr 3, 2012
In a far away Land
You seem to know your stuff Muttley, so I will be popping off to vws online to get some oil, or see who's got some deals on?

Fussy engine..... I thought they were bomb proof! if treated right?

Jan 21, 2012
check the spec of your oil, it might be fine. in the small print it'll say what specifications it meets.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
DirtyDerv wrote

Fussy engine..... I thought they were bomb proof! if treated right?

Treating them right includes using the right oil . . .

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members