Damaged Tyre

Leonfr140

Aug 18, 2013
East Sussex
Hi

I have just noticed this morning this on my tyre, any suggestions as to what to do? Do I leave it as is, do I try and take that strip off, or do I have to fork out for a new tyre?

Many thanks

Chris

d532be7e7ffc03ab7d8f94b43b34c8b1.jpg

81fa0487898ae14e57d384a3bc68e9eb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
That is only the Rim Protector Bar.
Does not look like you have gone any further in to the tyre so you will be safe just cutting the loose bit off.

Last edited:

Leonfr140

Aug 18, 2013
East Sussex
That is only the Rim Protector Bar.
Does not look like you have gone any further in to the tyre so you will be save just cutting the loose bit off.

Cheers that’s what I thought! Thanks for the quick reply!!

Leonfr140

Aug 18, 2013
East Sussex
Just wondering if a suitable glue could be used?

Good shout hadn’t thought of that, I will be voluntary terminated my agreement in October so am starting to make sure it’s in alright condition, before I order a Cupra anytime soon!!

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
You won't get charged for that damage if you pull it off. It doesn't affect the safety or performance and doesn't need repaired. The BCA inspector will notice it if you glue it anyway as he will, or should, inspect each alloy and tyre tread. It will still be noticeable glued so just cut it off

Leonfr140

Aug 18, 2013
East Sussex
You won't get charged for that damage if you pull it off. It doesn't affect the safety or performance and doesn't need repaired. The BCA inspector will notice it if you glue it anyway as he will, or should, inspect each alloy and tyre tread. It will still be noticeable glued so just cut it off

Thanks for that, on the subject of inspection one of my alloys is scratched quite a bit

d32c195f9e4cda70dbe211954592a2dc.jpg

d6e2e0e0e7088204b51876aeab598281.jpg

I know it says about 50 mm do you think it’ll get picked up?

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
It will yeah but not all damage means costs, some damage is expected on used vehicle like stone chips and alloy scuffs but it has criteria like the size and depth etc of the damage.

My last Leon was just picked up on Thursday last week, my driver side alloy had a large scrape on the face. The BCA inspector told me that as it's not in the spoke, it deemed acceptable damage/wear and tear and wouldnt be charged.

It's the inspector that decides based on ghidelines,you might be ok with your alloy.

Leonfr140

Aug 18, 2013
East Sussex
It will yeah but not all damage means costs, some damage is expected on used vehicle like stone chips and alloy scuffs but it has criteria like the size and depth etc of the damage.

My last Leon was just picked up on Thursday last week, my driver side alloy had a large scrape on the face. The BCA inspector told me that as it's not in the spoke, it deemed acceptable damage/wear and tear and wouldnt be charged.

It's the inspector that decides based on ghidelines,you might be ok with your alloy.

Oh right thanks that’s very useful, I did buy a alloy wheel repair kit thing - it was in auto express but I haven’t opened it, it was just in case I need it, I’d rather not use it.

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
Stung me for £21 for a 2cm scratch on the lower lip on my front bumper though,must have been something on the road, stone or something

Leonfr140

Aug 18, 2013
East Sussex
Stung me for £21 for a 2cm scratch on the lower lip on my front bumper though,must have been something on the road, stone or something

Oh really, yeah I have a crack on the front bumper and it’s scratched a little, so I have booked in to be replaced I think rather than repaired in a couple of weeks !!

What about mileage , do you know how much it is per mile, think I might end up being 1,000 maybe bit more over

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
You'll definitely get billed for cracked bumpers

If your finance is with Seat then it's 6p per mile over your limit

Leonfr140

Aug 18, 2013
East Sussex
Glad I’m getting it sorted

I did think it around that, it’s a few pence more of you are on a contract hire

Thanks for all your help very helpful!

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
As above, I wouldn't be too worried regarding the damage to the rim protection strip; however it appears that the sidewall may have some damage in the area circled - obviously it is difficult to tell how deep etc from the photo:

upload_2018-4-22_19-4-41.png

Leonfr140

Aug 18, 2013
East Sussex
Haha thanks for that I did notice that after I took the photo!! Grrr so annoying, I’ll keep an eye out with that

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I have Ibiza Tagus 17 inch alloys on my Ibiza, had scuffed rims couple of times, but why oh why when scuffed, it's scuffed a white colour! In contrast to my black rims. Guess what? I just clean it, dry it, and apply some black nail polish, a perfect colour match. Believe it or not, it takes me at least 5 mins to find out, where the scuff was originally!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.