Damp Drivers footwell

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
I've noticed a fusty smell in the car recently and found the carpet in the divers footwell is damp, lifted the mat and saw very wet carpet, too bad to just be water coming off my shoes when i get in. Also I seem to get huge amounts of moisture and condensation inside the car, some mornings the windscreen is literally soaked with water on the inside and also the rear tailgate window suffers the same. It's so bad I have to use a towel so dry the inside of the front and rear screens before I can drive.
The car is as it came from the factory, not had a windscreen replacement or anything. Any ideas or anyone experienced similar? is this something that could even be sorted under warranty?
The car is not quite 2 years old.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Heavy condensation on the inside of a car’s windows is a tell tale sign that water is getting into the car.

Not sure about the Leon, but on the mk7 / mk7.5 Golf, the following have been identified as possible sources of water ingress into the front of the cabin, so some or all of these may also apply to the Leon;
  • Blocked sunroof drain pipes (if you have a pano roof).
  • Blocked or waterlogged pollen filter
  • Damaged door / window seals
  • Damaged seal between the door speakers and the door (quite a common one on the Golf, judging by forum members experiences on VW forums)
I’d also be checking the rear foot wells for damp carpets and the spare wheel well under the boot floor. If you also have water ingress in those areas, it’s worth checking;
  • Seals between the rear light clusters and car body
  • Seal around the tailgate opening
  • The area around where the tailgate hinges are bolted to the panel above the tailgate opening
  • The rubber sleeve(s) protecting the wiring for heated rear window and rear wiper that feed into the top of the tailgate. If the rubber sleeve is damaged or there isn’t a tight seal between a) the rubber sleeve and the entry point into the tailgate and b) the panel above the tailgate opening, its possible that water could get into the car.
If water ingress is the result of a manufacturing defect (e.g. defective door seal), then IMO fixing the problem ought to be covered under warranty. If it’s the result of an ‘external influence’ (e.g. as an external force resulting in a cracked light cluster), then I’d say that Seat are unlikely to fix the problem under warranty.

Good luck; I hope you get it sorted soon.

Reactions: Wings988 and Mr Pig
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise