Dash temp not working

Liam180cupra

Jan 27, 2016
My temperature for the cooling system on the dial is on and off.
Every now and then when im sat in traffic it comes back on to 90.
Its had a new temp sensor which hasnt fixed the problem.
Can anyone help?

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
If your water pump has never been changed you may still have the plastic one in there, my car was fine when I first got it untill I started to drive it fast, the water pump broke leaving the plastic propeler spinning in the engine, so had to change it for a new one

Last edited:

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
My temperature for the cooling system on the dial is on and off.
Every now and then when im sat in traffic it comes back on to 90.
Its had a new temp sensor which hasnt fixed the problem.
Can anyone help?

Hi mate, when you say it's not working, do you mean that it goes completely on and off? If so then the CTS (coolant temp sensor) provides 2 totally seperate temp feeds, one for the ECU and one for the dash gauge. Check the wiring on the CTS plug, and maybe clean the contacts inside the plug if they look dirty. If that is ok,then maybe check that the plug on the back of the dash binnicle is in properly as well. My money would be on a loose connection or just dirty contacts on your CTS plug though.

If you mean that the gauge fails to stay and 90C and it cools down slightly when moving at speed, then that is a faulty thermostat.

Last edited:

Liam180cupra

Jan 27, 2016
Hi mate.
Cheers for the reply.
When sat in traffic it goes to 90 then once i get moving again it goes to the bottom again.
Ive had it on computer its had a new temp sensor. Ill check the wiring.
Got my bro on it as he works at vw as mechanic. Hes not convinced its thermostat

Theo1988

Jan 18, 2012
Mine does exactly the same, on a long journey temp gauge is showing 60! After a few sharp turns and a little heavy acceleration it shoots back up to 90. I pay no attention to it for a while only to see that its dropped back down again. Quick question where can i get the part from to sort this and how much is the average labour to complete the job?.....

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Mine does exactly the same, on a long journey temp gauge is showing 60! After a few sharp turns and a little heavy acceleration it shoots back up to 90. I pay no attention to it for a while only to see that its dropped back down again. Quick question where can i get the part from to sort this and how much is the average labour to complete the job?.....

Sounds like your water pump is broken and it's slipping under hard power, that's what mine done, when I bought my car the water pump had the plastic one in it, and with me driving it hard it broke so when driving fast it wasn't spinning.

Water pump is cheap £20/£50 depending on where you go, and they have to drop the engine so it's a big job, I done my own so wouldn't no how much.

Last edited:

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Try the thermostat first it's cheap and easy fix, put it in a cup of boiling water to make sure it opens then cold water to close it, if all good stick it in. With what you say tho sounds like the water pump is slipping

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Yeh it does, but if he has the old plastic one in its could be breaking up like what mine done, so the temp only really went up when driving fast, driving slow was ok, but when it did go I could let the car heat up from cold all was fine untill I started revving her then the temp shot right up meaning the water pump was a gonner, dropped the engine took the water pump out and when I done that the bit that spins the water round was still in my block, was very lucky to just put my fingers in and pull it out.

Liam180cupra

Jan 27, 2016
I get what you mean.
Not enough room with engine still in?
I had a look at timing belt other day and it looks abit tight.
Timing belts can be done without removing engine?

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Not sure about that mate as my engine was down when I done the belt and water pump. The plastic casing is very hard to get of, I had to brake the side of wine to get it of so it would go back on easy.
You need to drop the engine A foot probably

Last edited:

Liam180cupra

Jan 27, 2016
Guy i got mine from said its been done but theres no proof.
The belt looks new but better safe than sorry

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
If you have had it a while and done some miles it's worth the while to just change them, if you can do it yourself then it's a cheap fix

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
£100 labour that's ok, I'll always try things first myself, I do most things on my car

Last edited:

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
There is no way it's the water pump, that wouldn't cause the temp to drop down when moving like that. It will be the thermostat 100%, if the water pump was gone it would lead to overheating when driven hard.

Last edited:

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
He does say temp is at 60 when he puts the foot down goes to 90, I did say try thermostat first

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.