Dashcam Fitted in my Mk3

ERIC3451

Jan 20, 2014
Northern Ireland
Apparantly it is possible that some insurers see a non manufactureres spec Dash Cam as a modification and will increase your premium!!! Goodness knows what the response would be from such an insurer if you informed them of a dash cam after a claim. Especially if you were hoping any footage would be helpful!

Just rang my Insurer to check they wouldn't regard a dash cam (permanently wired or not) as a modification before placing my order.

ERIC3451

Jan 20, 2014
Northern Ireland
Thanks-this article is very interesting (if not a bit "heavy" stuff in the legal sense) in that it does "clarify" that a lie does not necessarily invalidate a claim.

Never consciously lie to my insurers, but it is often unclear what insurers definition of some T&C'S are. Definition of modifications differ between insurers.

Once had an insurer who regarded metallic paint finish (as supplied from the manufacturers factory!!) to be a modification since it increased the value of the car!!.
Couldn’t believe their approach and even got them to confirm it in writing.

However any claims validity surely must depend on the merits of each and every individual case. My concern is always to try to be straight in the face of differing approaches by insurers and try to keep things away from conflict and the courts in particular.

Goodness, beginning to sound like a barrack room lawyer here instead of the John Doe I really am.

As I say this is an interesting article and well worth noting.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.