Daytime running lights and optical parking system.

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
Two questions.

1. I have seen plenty of picture of the DRLs with the LED lights but have not seen one with the standard lights. Are they the same ie. a strip round the outside of the headlight?

2. What are members experiences of the Optical Parking Sytem. Any tips on performance and usage?

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford
The DRLs on the standard lights are just a single bulb in the inner corner, no strip like with the LED headlights.

I can't comment about the parking system yet as I don't have my car

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

GTunney

May 28, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne UK
The DRLs on the standard lights are just a single bulb in the inner corner, no strip like with the LED headlights.

I can't comment about the parking system yet as I don't have my car

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

Scrich is right but if it helps any better it lights up like a small triangle in the corner of the light.

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
Scrich is right but if it helps any better it lights up like a small triangle in the corner of the light.

Thanks for that.

Shame it's not the strip version but the triangle sounds more restrained than all these multiple LED strings that most new cars are sporting now - to me they look like cheap Xmas decorations!

GTunney

May 28, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne UK
Personally I feel the standard lights look better and more aggressive than the LED lights. I think it would have been better if the LED DRLs followed the contours of the light instead of cutting off the bottom inner corner. Although I would have still liked to have had the LED for the dipped beam. I'll try and get a photo for you at lunch if you want?

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
I agree with you about the looks. To me there is something not quite right about the LEDs - distinctive though they may be.

They are pretty rare in Spain as they are an expensive option - no free Tech pack here although the other discounts are very good.

Yes - a picture would be great. Thanks for your help.

JK1

May 15, 2002
Bedford
Visit site
Best thing about the Leon DRLs is that it looks like a solid beam of light not multiple LEDs. I guess it's some kind of VAG patent as no other manufacturer seems to do it. Some other brands do look cheap, one of the new Citreons with three LEDs on each side of the badge, makes it look like it ram raided IKEAs lighting department!

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
OK I have the LEDs and the front and rear optical parking sensors. Like the LEDs: a chrome bar gives the impression that they do follow the whole shape but it's a clever illusion. The sensors are great and I wouldn't be without them on my upspecced SE. But read my other post for the SE bumper with sensors factory fitted.

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
On videos I've seen when the parking sensors are activated it pops up on the left side of the display in a small box, but some are full screen showing front and rear distances. Is this configurable or do you have to enlarge the box manually? hope that makes sense.

EDIT: here's what I mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we_t9F1uPzU&t=17m55s you see it popup on the left first then he presses a button to make it full screen but the next time its activated it goes straight to being full screen. Also looks like the front sensors are activated automatically, you can see the parkpilot button is unlit when he drives forward.

Last edited:

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
I personally think they look great and a bold statement by seat to make the car stand out, which is the whole purpouse of drls, so people see you, as someone else mentioned they look part of the car, not some cheap halfords after thought, which is how many of the other manufacturers drl lights look

As for led headlights, if it was an option on any car I buy in the future I would take it, I hate driving my audi a3 at night now, the halogens are like candles compared to the seat leds

Last edited:

AJ

Oct 16, 2013
On videos I've seen when the parking sensors are activated it pops up on the left side of the display in a small box, but some are full screen showing front and rear distances. Is this configurable or do you have to enlarge the box manually? hope that makes sense.

EDIT: here's what I mean .... you see it popup on the left first then he presses a button to make it full screen but the next time its activated it goes straight to being full screen. Also looks like the front sensors are activated automatically, you can see the parkpilot button is unlit when he drives forward.

Hi TerryT, on the Leon FR Demonstrator I tested every time I engaged reverse gear the parking sensors for front and rear were displayed in full screen.
Having watched that video you linked to, it would appear that you maybe correct as it looks like the front sensors are 'always on' and perhaps the small box only appears whilst you are in a forward gear and close to an object? The next time it goes to full screen at 18:18 mins, is when he engages reverse gear (you can see the yellow highlighted area at rear of vehicle) so that ties in with my experience with the parking system.

If this is the case I think its a great feature that the front sensors are always on, perhaps other people with this system can confirm whether it works in this manner?? :)

Shiners

Jun 29, 2013
Scotland
Yes, that's how the system operates on my FR. I first noticed the small screen appearing when I had the radio on and slowing to a stand behind another vehicle at some road works. The whole system is very good indeed.

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
Cool, thanks for the explanation. I always thought the front sensors only work manually.

masher69

Sep 29, 2013
Northamptonshire
DRL's are regarded as more of a fashion accessory than a necessity. Personally I think they enhance the new Leon's character and I probably would not have purchased one without them. They look stunning and define the car.

slo007

Jun 15, 2013
Aberdeen, Scotland
Just to clarify, the front sensors come up automatically if you drive very close to something. This happened to me on a round about when a truck pulled up next to me a bit too close and the sensors came on the screen to alert me.

StevenM

Apr 2, 2013
To clarify...

Selecting reverse enables full screen display.

Pulling up close to an obstacle in front enables part screen display. This function can be turned off in settings.

When part screen is active you can push the PDC button for full screen.

When full screen is active you can push the PDC button to disable the display.

The tone (and volume I think) for both front and rear sensors can be changed in settings also.

Sent from my piece of shite iPhone - according to Muz.

AJ

Oct 16, 2013
To clarify...

Selecting reverse enables full screen display.

Pulling up close to an obstacle in front enables part screen display. This function can be turned off in settings.

When part screen is active you can push the PDC button for full screen.

When full screen is active you can push the PDC button to disable the display.

The tone (and volume I think) for both front and rear sensors can be changed in settings also.

Sent from my piece of shite iPhone - according to Muz.

Thanks mate for clarifying, very useful information. Certainly looks like a very good system.

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
DRL's are regarded as more of a fashion accessory than a necessity. Personally I think they enhance the new Leon's character and I probably would not have purchased one without them. They look stunning and define the car.

They're also law now, I believe - from 2011 I think it has been mandatory for all new cars to have them.

I have to say though some designs suit car lines better than others - some (like a '12 Toyota [Aygo/Yaris or similar small] I saw the other day) looked like an after-thought - they were close together, centrally in the grille.

GTunney

May 28, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne UK
They're also law now, I believe - from 2011 I think it has been mandatory for all new cars to have them.

I have to say though some designs suit car lines better than others - some (like a '12 Toyota [Aygo/Yaris or similar small] I saw the other day) looked like an after-thought - they were close together, centrally in the grille.

I think the VAG group is the only ones to get it right on multiple cars.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.