dead alhambra :(

xxwiggyxx

hiya.first i will apologise as i only visit this forum when i have a problem.and i never reply to anyones posts but that is because i know naff all about cars :D
hoping someone will be able to help as our alhambra has been dead for 3 weeks now and im stuck in a tiny village with 3 kids going slightly insane.
we have a p reg alhambra and one morning had a bit of trouble starting it,which is unusual as it always starts first time.next morning it wont start at all.we replaced fuel filter.took the spark plug out and checked for a spark on the engine,and there was only one spark which only happened on the first turn of the key.friend suggested buying a coil pack but still no joy.we tried out our plugs,leads,coil pack and distributor on a vw golf and all worked fine.and the circuit running from the distributor to the coil pack tested fine too.
has anyone got any ideas where we go from here cos we are well and truly stuck!!!:help:

90landrover

Jul 1, 2008
Rhondda,S Wales
Just a thought but could it be the immobilzer shutting it down after the initial spark or have you lost the transmitter out of the key that tells the system to fire up ? Do you have a second key that you could try ( have you tried re synchroing the key to the car ?

xxwiggyxx

hi,thanks for the reply.we only have one key and that has no alarm button on it.dont think it has an alarm or immobiliser anyway.we tried to re synch the key a while ago as our central locking has not worked since we got the car,and it didnt work.where would we find the immobiliser if it has one.will tell other half to go and look

90landrover

Jul 1, 2008
Rhondda,S Wales
Have you dropped the key and lost the minute electronic box contained withing the key fob - this sends a signal to the ECU to start engine. What did you do to re synchro key - did you follow the manufactureres recomendations ?

xxwiggyxx

the keys have not been dropped or anything.when we got the car the central locking didnt work so we read the instruction manual and tried to synchro the key.it said that at some point if you turn the key a certain way it should make the windows go down,which it did,but it still did not solve the central locking problem.
should we try and get a new key??

xxwiggyxx

well after 6 months of our car being broken and 5 months of it being at the most useless garage in britain......the mechanic has found the problem!!!its the box under the passenger seat.apparently it is completely rusted and we need another one.
he says he is trying to find a second hand one,but as he seems to be in no hurry to find one i thought i would have a go too.can somebody please tell me where and what to look for??

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Water ingress intot he compartment under the passenger seat is quite common on them, usually makes the windows go loops etc.

But wont stop it starting (unless that problem is now sorted).

xxwiggyxx

Water ingress intot he compartment under the passenger seat is quite common on them, usually makes the windows go loops etc.

But wont stop it starting (unless that problem is now sorted).

the central locking has never worked and the guy at the garage says its the immobiliser broken because the box uder the seat is knackered :confused: does that sound right?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.