Dealer fault diagnosis

Hicks

Let's nuke 'em from orbit
Nov 26, 2002
Relocated Yorkshireman
Visit site
I recently got the ABS warning light coming on in my LC. Another forum member very kindly used his VAG-COM to retrieve the fault codes. I sent these to the local dealer, but amazingly they said they still needed the car in, as their diagnostic equipment tells them exactly what parts to order. The diagnostic procedure costs half an hours labour (£30 + VAT).

Call me cynical, but I find it hard to believe that they don't have some idea what the problem is from the fault codes I gave them. :confused:

Is this normal procedure for Seat dealers?

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
of course they know what the problem is - they are just trying to get a bit more money from you :(
Everytime i use vag-com or come in with the exact fault and explain what i think it is, i get told "we do not allow customer based resolutions or ideas - we must find the fault ourselves"

Try to help them to help you and get shot down. Not much you can do really other than try to find another dealer who will. (good luck with that search too... :( )

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
no not true - vag-com does much more than just find the fault codes. You can clear the faults with vag-com, so you can see if the problem re-appears, you can turn on/off features on the car like auto-lock/unlock and horn-chirp when locking, and the main use of vag-com is data logging - when you remap/chip your car or in fact modify it, you can get figures and see if your work has actually improved the car response.

Hicks

Nov 26, 2002
Relocated Yorkshireman
Visit site
I'll re-phrase, VAG-COM is pointless for me then.

But to summarise. The dealer will not accept my fault codes.
I can't even get an estimate for fixing this from the dealer without their fault diagnosis. To do this will cost me £35.50 if I decide not to let them fix the problem, which I've no idea how much they will charge.

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
i had a similar argument with my dealer... i got my fault codes and went to speak to them but the service manager was basically an arse and said that they would need to use their equipment to confirm the codes and even then, due to my modifications, they wouldn't be able to find the fault.

after deciding he was a t*sser i asked to speak to a technician... this guy was ok. He explained that their kit is differant from VAG-COM as it performs 'guided fault finding' ie they need to plug in and get the specific combination of codes and the software suggests what to fix. This is the standard practice and they aren't supposed to perform work without it (kinda makes sense... VAG develop this system to more accuratly diagnose faults therefore they want/need to employ it and get money for doing so!) also covers the technician if they spend ages barking up the wrong tree!

anyway, i asked him about my codes and he gave me some suggestions about where i could investigate the problem myself. But if i wanted them to do the work, i'd have to let them diagnose the fault.

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
just a point on price. My dealer was *only* going to charge £14.50p for reading and clearing the fault codes i had. £35 is a shocking price!

The advise from the Techy was free!

DaveP

Small Member
Oct 3, 2001
Wiltshire
Visit site
Andrew there is a dealer in chippenham, maybe they would be more friendly?

How about posting the codes on here? (not suggesting that I have a clue, but some people do).

Also there is vwvortex which, being american biased, seems to have more home mechanic type people and those codes might have already been discussed.

Hicks

Nov 26, 2002
Relocated Yorkshireman
Visit site
DaveP said:
Andrew there is a dealer in chippenham, maybe they would be more friendly?

How about posting the codes on here? (not suggesting that I have a clue, but some people do).

Also there is vwvortex which, being american biased, seems to have more home mechanic type people and those codes might have already been discussed.

I've tried the Chippenham dealer Dave, and they have exactly the same policy. Anyway here's the codes -

VAG-COM Version: Release 303.1

Control Module Part Number: 1C0 907 379 E
Component and/or Version: ESP FRONT MK60 0104
Software Coding: 0019970
Work Shop Code: WSC 78954
2 Faults Found:
01423 - Lateral Acceleration Sensor (G200)
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
01423 - Lateral Acceleration Sensor (G200)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit - Intermittent

Control Module Part Number: 06A 906 032 DE
Component and/or Version: 1.8L R4/5VT G 0001
Software Coding: 11510
Work Shop Code: WSC 11111
1 Faults Found:
17608 - Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249): Mechanical Malfunction
P1200 - 35-00 - -

Control Module Part Number: 1J0 959 799 AH
Component and/or Version: 8P Zentral-SG Komf. 0001
Software Coding: 04099
Work Shop Code: WSC 06441
Additional Info: 1J0959802F 8P Tõrsteuerger. FS0002r
Additional Info: 1J0959801G 8P Tõrsteuerger. BF0002B
Additional Info: 1J4959811C 8P Tõrsteuerger. HL0002r
Additional Info: 1J4959812C 8P Tõrsteuerger. HR0002r
1 Faults Found:
00943 - Heated Exterior Mirror: Driver Side (Z4)
35-00 - -

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
i have a slight smoke blast from exhaust when starting my car from warm. i think its the turbo.
so..... i book it in at the dealers. when booking i told them the symptoms and wanted them to hook it up to vagcom and see if the turbo was leaking. when i got there they all gathered round my car and then refused to look at it!

its been modded they said. so we cant work out whats wrong.
i argued saying does this mean you wont service it too? oh no sir we can do that but we dont know your car and if we diagnose wrong youll hold us liable.

so... seems unless your stock your on your own. youd think theyd want the money!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.