Dealer lost my service book

xxNickyxx

Mar 22, 2008
Nairn, near Inverness
My 2005 LCR was in for a service and they have lost the service book.

When I dropped the car off in the norning, I left the folder on the passenger seat with the service book sitting on top. When I picked up the car I was in a bit of a rush and didn't check if the book was inside the folder - bad move I know.

When I got home I checked the folder and the book wasn't in it, so searched the car and it wasn't there either.

Anyway, I had to pop into the dealer the next day to pick up parts I'd ordered and told them I didn't get the service book back when I picked up the car, so the conversation (with the spotty spikey haired boy who runs the service department!!!) goes like this:

Me: I didn't get the service book back after my car was in yesterday
Dealer: Oh, we don't take the books out of the cars
Me: Well it wasnt in the folder or in the car
Dealer: I've been doing this job for 7 years
Me: And??? Do you have the book?
Dealer: You would of got it back with the invoice
(and thats not taking it out the car how??!)
Me: No, I didn't get it
Dealer: Well, there was no books left over so you must have got it. Try searching the car again, all the places it might have fallen..........under the rear seats etc :confused: Or we can order you a new book

Where do I stand with this? Yes, I can get a duplicate book, but I only have the invoice for the first service, and I have a funny feeling that the garage only did the 10k and 20k services, not the 30k. Plus the garage is down in Glasgow, which is a 8 hour round trip from me!!

Can anyone help, and I don't want the car to only have a part service history when I eventually come to sell it.

cap r 225

the need for speed!
Feb 24, 2008
nantwich
www.seatcupra.net
personally i'd insist on a new book fully stamped up. unfortunatly there isn't much you can do about the invoices, might be worth a call if you know which garage did you previouse services as some keep invoice records and might send some sort of proof for a future owner!! hope this somehow helps?????

Torquemonster

Nov 20, 2007
:( I never leave my service book in the car.People steal them all the time to help sell cars on.It's amazing what you can do with a few stickers and someones service book.
I always wait till it's been serviced,then get the service reception folk to stamp it.Saves getting it covered in oil as well.
Has your car been serviced by Seat dealers all it's life?.If so,it's all on the computer and your garage will put in all the stamps for you. Should be able to send it recorded delivery as well. Don't know if they'll pay for it though.If it's other non Seat dealers servicing- then things might be a bit more difficult.
Good luck.Trust no one with your service book.:(

Deev

May 28, 2006
Croydon, South London
You only get a crappy duplicate service book anyway, which has a big disclaimer in the front of it that might as well just say "don't believe anything that's written in here" in big letters. I had to get one for my mk1 (although fortunately I found the original again).

xxNickyxx

Mar 22, 2008
Nairn, near Inverness
I dont think I have much choice to be honest, the duplicate book will have to do.

The garage said that there were no service books left over, so either they have chucked it out or it has been mixed up with others and handed to someone else. That worries me a bit! If I remember rightly the chassix number is written in the book isnt it?

Gonna have to put up a bit of a fight with the garage for some sort of compensation, as I will effectively have to sell the car with a part service history.

andycupra

status subject to change
i would ask the dealer if they can contact all those whos cars were in the garage that day and ask them to check for either an incorrect or additional service book.

I bet they will resist as its not exactly advertising themselves well to the other customers.. id also ask to speak to someone other than the chap on the service desk.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Get in touch with seat uk and see what they say,
As stated above you may only be supplied with a duplicate in the end - as origionals are very difficult to get hold of even through a dealership.
They've lost your property at the end of the day - they wouldnt have tried to cover it up or deny all knowledge if it was your keys they had lost would they?
In my opinion the book could have been misplaced in a number of locations, often the service book is handed to the technician who does the job (and they are expected to place it back in the car when they check over the interior) but it could still be in there tool box or it could have fallen out of the job card on the way to the car.
Seat uk would rather have one satisfied (not happy, just satisfied) customer than one, frankly p*ssed off customer who drags the name of that dealership through the mud.
hope that helps :) chin up - at least they didnt write it off.

SEATcarsdirect.co.uk

ill have to be honest and say this has happend to us before well as great and perfect as id like to think we are we are only human. But its down to how you handle the problem. When we did it we did contact all the people in that day as it may have been the customer at fault picking up the wrong book but it was our fault we had put 2 books in the pack by error we then gave both clients 25% off next service as our way of sayinbg sorry

cap r 225

the need for speed!
Feb 24, 2008
nantwich
www.seatcupra.net
it would be an unreasonable person who didn't except that mistakes happen, as you said above mistakes happen and it's how you deal with them. in your case it seems like you dealt with things very well and i applaud that! shame nicky's dealer isn't as competent!!!

Dan B

The dealer managed to lose the servce book on our brand new Leon TSI when we collected it, still haven't had a replacement through!

xxNickyxx

Mar 22, 2008
Nairn, near Inverness
Well after a very strongly worded email to the guy who owns the company, I finally got a duplicate service book which they had got stamped for me.

The duplicate book, in my opinion, looks very dodgy! It has duplicate written all over it and basically says that the details in it may not be correct! I actually managed to get a proper service book off ebay which I will get stamped - at least it will look like the real thing!!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise