DECAT Specifically Diesel but all thoughts welcome

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
So, as per my readers ride thread my cars booked in for a new turbo and some other parts, as part of the turbo upgrade the cat is removed.

This makes me a little nervous as I know the rules changed, I don’t want to have a car that fails the MOT as that’d be a pain, I’m tempted to see if they can fit a speed cat or something, had anyone had any experience of a de cat cat and the new MOT rules?

The car currently shows basically nothing on the emissions test, the MOT tester always comments on it, so I suspect the VW fix has been around a while.

Thoughts welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leeoncupra

Feb 12, 2017
Halesowen
So, as per my readers ride thread my cars booked in for a new turbo and some other parts, as part of the turbo upgrade the cat is removed.

This makes me a little nervous as I know the rules changed, I don’t want to have a car that fails the MOT as that’d be a pain, I’m tempted to see if they can fit a speed cat or something, had anyone had any experience of a de cat cat and the new MOT rules?

The car currently shows basically nothing on the emissions test, the MOT tester always comments on it, so I suspect the VW fix has been around a while.

Thoughts welcome.

My cat and dpf was gutted on my fr tdi

Mot didn't flag up anything and it was a legit one

leon mk1 cupra

steviecookieboy

Dec 22, 2018
Hi, i'm currently an mot tester & the rules changed last May 2018 if I remember right (mot'd my old 170fr the day before!) The new rules state that if fitted with a DPF (diesel particle filter) it is to emit no visible smoke of any colour. My 170 black smokes if I rev it from idle to full throttle (which is the test performed) & probably most diesels without a DPF do. We also should test the vehicle using the factory limits shown in a small rectangle box on the vin sticker (usually on the B post) If this reading/box has been defaced there is a higher (but still tight) limit to use depending on age, turbo, non turbo etc. You can find the mot manual via google if your interested.

I wish my car still had its DPF on for mot reasons & if yours is not giving you problems, I would leave it on.

Hope that helps? Steve

Last edited:
Reactions: Sharpy

Sharpy

Oct 2, 2018
Hi, i'm currently an mot tester & the rules changed last May 2018 if I remember right (mot'd my old 170fr the day before!) The new rules state that if fitted with a DPF (diesel particle filter) it is to emit no visible smoke of any colour. My 170 black smokes if I rev it from idle to full throttle (which is the test performed) & probably most diesels without a DPF do. We also should test the vehicle using the factory limits shown in a small rectangle box on the vin sticker (usually on the B post) If this reading/box has been defaced there is a higher (but still tight) limit to use depending on age, turbo, non turbo etc. You can find the mot manual via google if your interested.

I wish my car still had its DPF on for mot reasons & if yours is not giving you problems, I would leave it on.

Hope that helps? Steve

Thanks, luckily mine doesn’t have a dpf. In terms of the cat I’ll probably get a speed cat to be safe.

steviecookieboy

Dec 22, 2018
Thanks, luckily mine doesn’t have a dpf. In terms of the cat I’ll probably get a speed cat to be safe.

If it does not have a DPF it can have smoke & the limits are higher (age dependant) its only DPF cars they are punishing it seems!
If the DPF has been tampered with i.e cut & re-welded, sensors missing etc etc it means a fail without proof or a reason why, like cleaning for example.

Sharpy

Oct 2, 2018
If it does not have a DPF it can have smoke & the limits are higher (age dependant) its only DPF cars they are punishing it seems!

Seems odd. To be fair mine sees relatively clean even at high revs, although there is some. But it’s good to know all the same. Thanks again.