Depreciation

siwel

Apr 20, 2006
Hello All,

I've had my new shape leon for just over 4 months now and being my first seat I'm wondering how well these cars hold their value, not that I'm thinking of selling (waited long enough to get it!), just curious what it's worth now.

It's a 2L TDi Sport in metallic grey (the one that looks like silver, not sure the exact name off hand), with factory options mp3 player, space saver spare wheel, air bag disconnect, reverse parking and the metallic paint.

I think when I got it (early june) the dealer was trying to charge 17,100 for it or there abouts but I haggled a bit off that. Oh and it's got 2200 miles on the clock, so what's driving it off forecourt and owning it for 4 months cost me, any suggestions?

Cheers.

siwel

Apr 20, 2006
They do plummet a quite bit then. I'm looking to keep mine for a good few years so not too bothered about the initial drop, was just curious what getting a new car had cost me.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
No I would say quite a bit more than that.

Check out places like autotrader for similar cars, and obvoulsy knock off a bit off the price after haggling.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Seems the sportier models in the range hold onto their money a little better, they make up a large percentage of UK sales. It was inevitable that once the FR had surfaced and also when the Cupra appears in the New year this has a big effect on the residuals of the cars that come before them.

But things to weigh up are what you got for your money in comparison to similar vehicle marques.

Unfortunately to some members of the public. SEAT still do carry an unfair stigma, based on its past image, FIAT built, and being perceived as VW's poor cousin.

Though if these same people did a little research, they would discover they are exceptionally well equipped compared to their VW stablemates. The big let down for the marque in most owners eyes, is the poor customer service in some areas of the dealer network, though to give them their due, some are improving a lot, where as some are steadily getting worse, however that seems to be an issue with the industry as a whole, because SEAT are not the only ones to have rubbish dealers.

wurzel

Jun 2, 2003
East Anglia
Visit site
Seems the sportier models in the range hold onto their money a little better, they make up a large percentage of UK sales. It was inevitable that once the FR had surfaced and also when the Cupra appears in the New year this has a big effect on the residuals of the cars that come before them.

But things to weigh up are what you got for your money in comparison to similar vehicle marques.

Unfortunately to some members of the public. SEAT still do carry an unfair stigma, based on its past image, FIAT built, and being perceived as VW's poor cousin.

Though if these same people did a little research, they would discover they are exceptionally well equipped compared to their VW stablemates. The big let down for the marque in most owners eyes, is the poor customer service in some areas of the dealer network, though to give them their due, some are improving a lot, where as some are steadily getting worse, however that seems to be an issue with the industry as a whole, because SEAT are not the only ones to have rubbish dealers.

If the outgoing model is anything to go by residuals are strong on the sportier models as Zboyd says. I've just part ex'd my 2005 FR TDI for 2.5/3k less than what I paid for it, not bad for 18 months and 20000 miles.

Some members of the public are narrow minded and are "badge snobs" but at the end of the day who is laughing when you can get an equivilant to the golf with the same engines etc for 3/4K less. Although the Leon may not hold quite as much of its value as the golf it certainly won't depreciate an additional 3/4k to negate the initial saving.

Dealers in general suck, they are all there to make money and very few seem to be genuinely concerned about customer satisfication. From what I've expereinced BMW and VW customer service isn't that much better if at all compared to SEAT customer service.

siwel

Apr 20, 2006
Good idea to look in auto trader, I just had a look the cheapest 06 plate rather than a 2006 55 plate is a TDi sport with 14k miles on it going for 14,999 from a dealer and the next one has 4,700 miles going for 15,299. Neither has as many options as mine.

I wouldn't expect to get dealer prices for it but I feel better after seeing that, I thought 12-12.5k seemed a bit low.

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
wurzel said:
2.5/3k less than what I paid for it, not bad for 18 months and 20000 miles

Same boat as you mate, although I was offered 13k for mine, only 1k less than I paid for it 18 months ago !!

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
if you are talking about trade in value 12k sounds about it going by these prices.

old leon fr`s seem to be holding up quite well got 12k for my 54 plate cost me
3k to change up to the a3

2006 06 Reg SEAT Leon 2.0 TDi Sport (trade)
Kings Seat Southampton

5,500 miles
Manual
BLACK MAGIC
£13795
5 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Petrol, 5,500 miles, Black Magic, ANTI-LOCK BRAKES,DRIVER SEAT HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT,DRIVER, PASSENGER AND FRONT SIDE AIR BAGS,VOLUMETRIC ALARM,17IN ALLOY WHEELS,REMOTE CENTRAL

2005 55 Reg SEAT Leon 2.0 TDi Sport (trade)
Wilmoths Seat

22,000 miles
Manual
SILVER
Diesel
£13495
5 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Diesel, 22,000 miles, Silver, ANTI-LOCK BRAKES,DRIVER SEAT HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT,DRIVER, PASSENGER AND FRONT SIDE AIR BAGS,VOLUMETRIC ALARM,17IN ALLOY WHEELS,REMOTE CENTRAL DOOR

Rob GTI

Oct 28, 2004
South Wales
Dealers in general suck, they are all there to make money and very few seem to be genuinely concerned about customer satisfication. From what I've expereinced BMW and VW customer service isn't that much better if at all compared to SEAT customer service.

All dealers I have experienced suck BMW, VW and Seat!!! Still you got to buy and take your car somewhere!!!

siwel

Apr 20, 2006
I was thinking more what it's worth as a private sale rather than part ex, but I see your point.

Richard S

I was offered 12k for my 06 TFSI with 10k on the clock against a 55 plate £18k Mini Cooper S Works.

I'm going to keep the Leon and Revo it as the Mini was quick but not much quicker the the standard TFSI. The handling was good but it felt too small and go-cartish for me. I'm also too old to be driving a car with stickers all over it.:redface:

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
I was offered £12k for my Jan 06 TFSI with 12000 against a fully kitted TFSI FR with Xenon, BlueTooth, and 18" (Nov delivery).

Going to keep mine for the time being, to me it feels every bit as quick as the FR - and i have to say is going like a dream at the minute (touch wood). Might go for the Cupra when it comes out though as shouldnt be much more.

Leonlad, love your A3. A Dealer near me has the same car in Missano Red, have to keep looking away as i drive past so i'm not tempted :)

Last edited:

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
I was offered £12k for my Jan 06 TFSI with 12000 against a fully kitted TFSI FR with Xenon, BlueTooth, and 18" (Nov delivery).

Going to keep mine for the time being, to me it feels every bit as quick as the FR - and i have to say is going like a dream at the minute (touch wood). Might go for the Cupra when it comes out though as shouldnt be much more.

Leonlad, love your A3. A Dealer near me has the same car in Missano Red, have to keep looking away as i drive past so i'm not tempted :)

Just get it remapped, which will give you more performance than the cupra!