Descreening The Maff

jimmy123

Sep 27, 2010
has anyone got a befor and after rr print out yet? as if this works it would be worth doing

TRUMPY

its an oat cake thang!!!!
Mar 13, 2010
s-o-t
has anyone got a befor and after rr print out yet? as if this works it would be worth doing

would'nt bother mate my g/s figures dropped to 167 from 179, new maf and huge air filter now pulling in 184g/s

TRUMPY

its an oat cake thang!!!!
Mar 13, 2010
s-o-t
I think others have reported increases, but a back-to-back before/after RR is needed to validate any power differences

think its :censored: mate but thats just my opinion, you are right a back to back RR is needed, but dont want to go through another MAF :lol:

rsrich

Aug 23, 2006
www.turnpikeracing.co.uk
in the pursuit of absolute airflow, don't lose sight of the purpose of the screen - it's there to spread the average airflow over the full area of the MAF tube so that the sensor portion in the centre will always be measuring an airflow value which assumes the whole tube is flowing evenly, this may be more significant at low flowrates, where otherwise the tube may not be flowing uniformly. Picture if you will the situation where the air may be flowing in an area of the tube not occupied by the hot film sensor in the centre, there is clearly airflow in the tube but the sensor would not "see" it, hence potentially producing fueling anomalies due to the non-uniform flow across the tube area.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
as an example, welly previously had a smaller neck open cone filter on his, which had a reducer onto the maf.. this created a venturi into the maf, which "thought" it gained air, but all it got was a 'squirt' of air past the sensor which was accelerated past it by the reducer cone before the maf

Feb 22, 2009
South Wales
which part do you remove?

andrewsmaf2.jpg

is it all the mesh?

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I did on wellys. screened made more power, but read 10g/s less airflow

non-laminar flow across the sensor can make it believe theirs more air than there actually is...
its a temperature device across the metal film, so drafts to describe it crudely across the film element may not represent the actual airflow across the whole maf cross sectional area of the tube, which is why screens are there. Often you need x10 straight diameters of upstream flow to ensure non-turbulant flow by the measuring sensor.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.