Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Detailing question..

Discussion in 'Car Care and Detailing' started by Jimbobcook, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Jimbobcook

Jimbobcook MK2 Cupra R Stock+

A friend of mine has just ordered a new motorbike for 12k and wanted to know how to treat the paint on the tank and bits where he sits so they don't scuff.

I suggest clear wrap but wasn't sure if anyone had any better ideas? I can do paint sealant polish wax and the usual stuff but to stop scuffs I'm unsure haha

Ideas welcome if they're doable by me lol

2. bruceR

bruceR Active Member

A few of my mates have tank stickers (carbon fibre look) on theirs. As for the seat area, I would just keep applying leather cream or even a leather ceramic coating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbobcook likes this.
  3. Jimbobcook

Yeah I looked at a few of them sort of thing but he wants to keep the tank as is for now so it would be clear or whatever I could put on it...

Sorry bad wording on my part he's got the actual seat sorted with autoglym leather balm and cleaner, the bit that scuffs supposedly is just north of the crotch area to left and right when you get on and off the bike according to the review videos.

Would a ceramic coat stop scuffs from leathers etc?

4. bruceR

bruceR Active Member

Think you can get clear stickers as well, that would keep the look of original tank

Jimbobcook likes this.
  5. Jimbobcook

I know nothing about bikes paint I assume my car stuff will be useable with no issues... Thought about adding poor boys to the spokes to stop brake dust as he has 2 discs on the front lol then the usual polish wax for any other paintwork.

As I've never ridden a motorbike before is there any parts of the bikes body work apart from the obvious that shouldn't have products on as it gets very hot etc...?

He's looking for a coat that he gets home and just uses a filtered leaf blower to get rid of any water or stuff that's still attached after a ride...

6. bruceR

bruceR Active Member

Sorry Jimbo, I’m pretty much the same as you when it comes to bike detailing but I’ll ask around.

7. Jimbobcook

Thanks very much... I assume the paint is thinner as its not showing as much to the world like a car bonnet to which they have to do the same for the rest of the car...

8. ChrisM75

ChrisM75 Active Member

The only detailing products that will do much to prevent damage are the ceramic ones, and even then they wont do a lot. There are some spray on products that leave a thick coating, but they can be messy. They are like plasti-dip but shiny rather than matt.

This is an example, but its not cheap.

https://www.stealthcoatings.com/car-protection-liquid-wrap/

Jimbobcook likes this.
  9. bruceR

bruceR Active Member

Jimbo, just got message saying that they use Muck-off spray over all parts then snow foam then rinse and finish off with dryer. He also mentioned that the paint on tanks is pretty thick but on plastic fenders it’s quite thin in parts.
    Hope this helps

Jimbobcook likes this.