Devonmikeyboy passes the 300bhp and 400lb torque level from a 2L diesel.

shadowmaker

2.5TDI 228kW 587Nm@1,3bar
Feb 28, 2007
What brakes have you got on there?

They look awfully small :blink:

Well, rims are 21" so maybe they should look small.

Just kidding. Actually those are original brakes and they suck. For some reason my brakes are worse than original and I have Cupra R Brembo calipers and VW T5 300mm discs waiting for their turn, but at the moment I'm focused on fine tuning the engine. Brakes will do for now.

basstard, WTF is wrong with the Finns? :think: :p

timbotdi, you might guess my whereabouts from the previous line and this engine has been made by me and my friends.

basstard, headrotor is the pumping unit in the VE pump. Originally 11mm, now 12mm, which means 24% of more fuel.

No, the IC is 100x30x30cm. :whistle:

N-tercooler sprays -55 degrees of Celsius CO2 over my IC and should bring intake temperatures well below ambient temperature.

Oil cooler lines are taken from filter housing.

BTW, my friend is building an old MB300TD, and we put one of my modified (even bigger compressor wheel) GT37vnt on it. Target is 500hp and 1???Nm. Result will be seen later... Big BOOM maybe?

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
Here's a video where I tried to time 80-120kmh and 100-150kmh respectively. Didn't work out. :whistle: Maybe Mike has better traction with his 4wd...

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=4d6qogz

I am definitely glad i paid the extra and got 4WD this time. No wounder you couldn`t get much grip by the way the camera is rocking around it looks like you where driving around a rally course. Do you have any video of how much your van smokes ?

golisago

QUOTE=devonmikeyboy;1228414]Thanks Muddyboots :redface: . Going back to Interpro on 3rd February to try out a few ideas and hopefully by then the peak boost will be raised as the car is only running about 2 bar peak and 1.8 constant when the VT5 can peak at 2.6 bar and run 2.2 constant. Also going to a RR day at AwesomeGTi on March 20th plus the car is getting a write up in the February issue of Audi driver. My new goal is 350bhp with this set up and 400bhp is a nice round figure to aim for when/if the new injectors and turbo setup get fitted.[/QUOTE]

When is the propane plus Nos coming in to the equation is it on a switch or on the throttle at wot , by the looks of the map you have in there giving only 1.8bar which sounds like a standard boost map/level for the Vt2 , although the bigger comp/turbine wheels will give more flow would suggest its not the best map in the world.

This and the fact that the power band is so short and peaky , the peakyness suggests again that the propane and Nos are introduced at somewhere just before the standard injectors have given up the ghost , at this point you/your tuner will find it very hard to raise the boost pressure with the Nos turned on because the Nos is taking the fuel away from the turbo for it to act/react upon.

I say fuel meaning both the diesel and propane its all the same when in the mix , so i would think the best way of having it setup would be to have which ever fuels your using mapped together as one/collectively , then map the boost pressure against this if at this stage the boost pressure made by the turbo is at say 2bar and if there is still an excess of fuel/smoke left then the Nos can be switched on to clear the smoke and give more power.

The propane can be turned up here also but would think the Nos would get there before the turbo could react upon it giving more boost.

You would then be able to get/have more fuel injected down low by both fuel types and have better boost responce and power at this point , even if your able to buy larger injectors at 20% more flow they would run out of steam at the levels you want/are at .

Last edited by a moderator:

shadowmaker

2.5TDI 228kW 587Nm@1,3bar
Feb 28, 2007
I am definitely glad i paid the extra and got 4WD this time. No wounder you couldn`t get much grip by the way the camera is rocking around it looks like you where driving around a rally course. Do you have any video of how much your van smokes ?

For this old van it's just something like 500e to all the get stuff needed for 4WD conversion. Maybe I'll do it maybe not.

To be true, the pavement was wet and I have wintertires on it, so I have to wait the summer to arrive to find out the real traction. What makes this run more interesting is that I only used 70-80% throttle, because I'm still little afraid to floor it. Sissy eih...?:clown:

The road was quite smooth, but I hold my phonecamera on my hand, so maybe all the roughness on the video is due to me and my Perkinsson's disease... :funk:

There's no vid of the van hauling down the road, but I can see smoke on the rearview mirror. With Nos it should make much more power, but maybe this is enough...

Last edited:

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
Mikey, I'd say try and raise the fuel low down, adjust the actuator arm of the vnt system and if this fails, find someone to build you a ball bearing vnt since you are used to get things created for your car!!! :lol:

golisago

I don't see you having any problems in doing what Basstard has suggested in adding more fuel in the lower rpm area's , but its known that vnt's don't like too much fuel they will start to over speed/boost.

Also if you added more fuel does the VT5 have enough headroom to produce more boost later on up the rev range once again with out over boosting , a waste-gated vnt combo would be the best way to go for better boost control , where just perplexed to see that you have such little boost pressure at the lower rpm regions was this a diliberate input from the programmer/tuner.

P.S it would be nice to think that those who wanted too could meet up to have a good talk about all this and more!!.

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
where just perplexed to see that you have such little boost pressure at the lower rpm regions was this a diliberate input from the programmer/tuner.

P.S it would be nice to think that those who wanted too could meet up to have a good talk about all this and more!!.

How do you know how much boost i am running low down then Steve ? The car is still very much in the test stage running the same map as when i had the VT5 first fitted which was quite a "safe" map so as to try not to blow anything up. After i get the car back from the bodyshop it`s going to Allards for a few tweaks. One idea was to put my stock head back on to see what difference that made but a new more agressive map is needed and a bigger turbo. I might be up at Simon Coopers sometime soon as he is getting me a price for an imported Spec 3+ clutch as he is getting one for himself as well plus he might be fitting it as well.

Dude, just seen this thread - your an inspiration :worship:

:redface: Thanks fore the compliment mate but i just doing my thing.

golisago

the same map as when i had the VT5 first fitted which was quite a "safe" map so as to try not to blow anything up. After i get the car back from the bodyshop it`s going to Allards for a few tweaks. One idea was to put my stock head back on to see what difference that made but a new more aQUOTE=devonmikeyboy;1286355]How do you know how much boost i am running low down then Steve ? The car is still very much in the test stage running gressive map is needed and a bigger turbo. I might be up at Simon Coopers sometime soon as he is getting me a price for an imported Spec 3+ clutch as he is getting one for himself as well plus he might be fitting it as well.

:redface: Thanks fore the compliment mate but i just doing my thing.[/QUOTE]

Mike i am getting my info from other quarters this much is true but please its Lisa , my spelling is better than his anyway .

You seem to think that what i say is a criticism of your setup hence you when in fact its quite the opposite , you ask how i know how much boost pressure your using then say your going to get a more aggressive map done , its for all to see on your graph's the lack of boost you have down low which shows in its self the lack of fuelling = ( no fuel = no boost ) .

But wait a minute there are a couple of other variables to consider here Nos/propane , i say map in the propane along with your diesel before you introduce the Nos , this way you will have a more linear power/torque curve.

Then if you did/do get your race injectors you could then use less gas but also run it a long side the diesel and then run the Nos just to clear things up plus more power.

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
i say map in the propane along with your diesel before you introduce the Nos , this way you will have a more linear power/torque curve.

what do you mean by map the propane along with the diesel? the ecu only controls diesel delivery,,, [I'm not having a go, just need enlightment,,, :) ]

golisago

Lets just take the Nos out of the equation for a moment so you just have the diesel / propane left , the mapping of how much boost to use is setup against how much fuel your injecting irrespective of what type of fuel your using up to a point.

So lets take the scenario that you have the standard injectors and the VT5 turbo in place a long side other mods such as a large fmic extra fuel cooler slightly larger boost pipe etc , and then proceed to map/chip/re-programme the ecu LOL with all these variables , you would have lets say the perfect mapping for all the hardware mentioned.

If you change any of these variables such as fueling , turbo , etc you will have to have a re-map done would you not , so if the propane isn't mapped in collectively with the diesel fuel as one and added at a later stage it would be classed as not being mapped correctly , even if you dumped the gas in as in this case at wot and use Nos to make it burn one it would have an effect on your turbo/boost mapping and my rob the turbo of fuel to make more or good boost on.

I know someone who couldn't get more than 24/26psi because Nos was being used , using too much any way and it starts to quench the fire its started and you loose power and will subsiquently cool down the exhaust as well as the intake and create even more lag on off boost spooling.

So it would be best to use both fuels as one and then map your boost against it , some guy's companies now have other fuels plus Nos factored in so substances like Nos and propane can be added right the way across the rev-range etc.

golisago

Into account doesn't really cut it from one tuner to another , this means two or more different things Basstard!!

golisago

Deleted by goLisago.

Regards

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.