DGJ's Leon Cupra TDI - Staggered Rims, AP Coilovers, 312mm Brakes, Milltek Turbo-Back

joshy514

Fleet Air Arm by ability.
Mar 2, 2012
Gloucester
www.seatcupra.net
Haha mine are 'ft' bolts too! I don't really know, doesn't bother me what I torque them too, unlike a dmf! Could look it up though I suppose? 2 white knuckles is always a safe bet.

Sent from my iPhone

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Lol, as long as over-doing them won't cause my knocking somehow then that's fine! I didn;t use a torque wrench for my dog bone and that seems to have worked out pretty nice.

Saying that, the old bush was like an accordion when I took it off!

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
I roll without an undertray. Cooler bay temps and easier access (and nearly all the mounting points are snapped on my tray :p).

But yes you will need to remove it (5 minute job). It has made a nice difference, made everything feel a bit smoother and more connected transmission wise.

joshy514

Mar 2, 2012
Gloucester
www.seatcupra.net
I roll without an undertray. Cooler bay temps and easier access (and nearly all the mounting points are snapped on my tray :p).

But yes you will need to remove it (5 minute job). It has made a nice difference, made everything feel a bit smoother and more connected transmission wise.

What's an undertray lol? Bought mine to find out I had the side panels but no lower bit! From a dealer too!!!!

I wish mine didn't effect the way the car idled and drive the way it did! Mine was getting close to unbearable! Cabin shudder in reverse would make teeth fall out.... Mine is out now, gone are the days I wanted to put all of these fairy petrol mods in my car and turn it into a race car!

Sent from my iPhone

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Haha but.....Race Car! To be fair I just wanted smoother gear changes and better throttle response. It has picked up a bit and the power does seem a bit more consistent. Did you try de-torquing it slightly? And do you spend enough time in reverse for it to bother you that much?

Got any plans for yours when you get back?

joshy514

Mar 2, 2012
Gloucester
www.seatcupra.net
No that was probably the problem, bolts being torqued too much. No I haven't really, keep toying with brembos but I've clawed back some of the cash I had to spend on it the 3 months before I came out here, and don't want to spaff it all.... Also I'm going to Tunisia for a week, which will be over a grand with spending pennies! Got a sfs tip, coolant hoses and some Cree reverse bulbs, and I'm thinking about going a crazy plastic dip colour on the wheels until I get a refurb on them.... Just tidying it up to be honest dude, got too much oil going to the turbo, blows a fuse when I open the boot and its booked in with bill for the second time this year to finish the stage 1! Yourself?

Sent from my iPhone

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Fair enough, I'm in the same boat as I'm going away in just under 2 weeks so getting money together for that takes priority over car stuff. No immediate plans at the mo, once I'm back I'll look at fitting a catch can, maybe getting a Terraclean done to get things as clean as possible internally and then just run it until my tax/mot/insurance is all paid for in November.

Ah good stuff, looking forward to the finishing touches with Bill then? How do you find the current map you have?

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Cheers mate! They are a nice wheel but the laquered bare metal bit is starting to bubble and go cloudy quite badly. Sorry for the delayed response, have been a bit busy and not done much car wise at the moment.

Before I went on holiday in mid-July I fitted a catch can in the space where the relay box used to be, and moved the relays in with the loom just behind the airbox. It doesn't feel like it's made much of a difference to the driving experience, but if it's going to stop oil getting in to the intake tract and clean up the air supply I'm happy :)

I also recently got the torque app to have a little play around with, at £3 for the app plus £5 Bluetooth dongle I thought it was worth a punt.

So far I've had readings of:

128 hp (at the wheels)
188 ft/lbs of torque
And on a separate run I got 135.9 g/s mass air flow, which when converted using the divide by 0.8 scale that Bill favours gives me around 169.9 bhp at the engine! :funk:

I haven't had chance to record any 0-60 or 1/4 mile times yet as I can't find a long enough stretch of "private road" to log it on but I will do when I get chance. Current plans are to pass the MOT, get taxed/insured in October/November and then look at getting Golf GTi Recaros, spray the bumper grills gloss black and get a remap early next year.

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Got a nice picture of my car recently:

No exciting news, other than failing my MOT and having to get new tyres ordered, delivered and fitted with less than 48 hours notice! Thanks to Camskill I got 2 Nankang NS2's in 215/35/18 and got them fitted and passed the MOT with no other advisories.

Now that they're fitted though I've had no end of problems getting on/off my driveway, over those really square speed bumps and coming down ramps etc! There's only 14mm difference but it's really noticeable, so as soon as I can I'll be switching to 205/40-18s on the front and 225/35-18s on the rear.

Also had to "fix" the rear tow-hook cover because when it was resprayed a few months ago the guy didn't mask the plastic bracket behind the cover and I ended up with a shiny platinum bracket that just bugged me! So some pliers, cutters and brute force managed to break the bracket off and I now have a normal looking rear end again :)

Just tax and insurance and Christmas to get out of the way before the modding can continue!

goldie74

goldie74
Jan 1, 2013
Oxfordshire
Cars looking good mate,I know what you mean about the Nankangs i used to run them on my old Golf GTI the profile on them is really low,I found you you have to be extra careful not to damage your rims.

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Cheers mate :) I think it's because I went from a 215/40 to 215/35. I didn't expect there to be much difference but now I catch on almost everything!

And I had a brown trouser moment a couple of days after fitting the tyres as I hit the front edge of a dip where a drainage grid had sunk in to the road by about 4 inches! No damage or air leaks so far (touch wood).

RaviR50

Aug 15, 2012
Southampton
You panzy haha if you ain't rubbin you ain't dubbin lol. Do you have pretty good roads by you?? I catch everywhere I was nicknamed street sweeper at work cos they can hear me scraping up the road lol

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Haha oh I'm plenty rubbing at the rear! Especially when I have passengers in the back...

The roads are pretty shocking here, for every one they fix another one springs a pothole or just generally starts falling apart. They only ever do a patch-up job as well!

Haha, I know what you mean, I've removed my undertray and one of the inner arch-liners where it clips to because it was scraping so much!

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Finally got round to re-sealing my ebay oil catch can! It's located in place of the old relay box on the bulkhead, I noticed I had a water drip whenever I parked up and that there was some gunky deposit under the catch can:

I took the can apart to find this measly rubber gasket at the bottom which had done the grand some of f*** all to keep the oil in

I then disposed of that and sealed the can up top and bottom with instant gasket, had to let that set for 24 hours so ran with the standard PCV pipe on. My boost had been spiking at about 1.8-1.9 bar for a while but after re-fitting the catch can I have a very healthy 1.6bar spike with a solid 1.4bar up to 3.5k in 2nd and 3rd :)

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
What's wrong with this picture...

...apart from the huge nose dive :p

I took the side skirts off to give them a good clean and couldn't believe the amount of crud that collects in them!

passenger side on left, driver's on right, and below a couple of shots of the crud.

Going to give them a good clean along with the sills before this winter weather gets any worse.

Received a 1.8t pancake pipe on Saturday from SRS Spares (Darkside's 2nd hand parts division)

Gave it a quick clean up:

Ordered some jubilee clips and a short length of 51mm silicone hose to attach it to the PD150 red turbo hose. Just waiting on the silicone hose now and should have it fitted this weekend along with my newly cleaned sills!

Thanks for looking :)

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Very tidy looking car. Nice work! :thumbup:

Thanks mate :D hoping it will get even tidier in time!

looks soo high without skirts! like mine tbh :( i need a set badly

Lol I know what you mean, it looks ok now but looks so much better with side skirts! When are you getting yours fitted? I need mine back on badly:

:cry:

Anyone know a good way to fix this so my side skirt will go back on properly? And any good tips on jacking the car up when it's so low but only have a standard trolley jack that won't reach the subframe?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise