Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest. If you're not subscribing to us on YouTube yet, you're missing out on car news and reviews. Subscribe to our channel to get notified when we post new videos.

Diagram for PCV system on LCR anyone?

Discussion in 'Leon Mk1 (2000-2006)' started by DannyC87, Mar 16, 2010.

1. DannyC87

DannyC87 Rubbing is Racing :-)

Hello,

I have the standard oily residue on the PCV pipes under my intake manifold; decided its about time I sorted it so I plan to remove the PCV and fit a catch can.

Now I have seen multiple parts diagrams for the LH intake manifold PCV systems; but the LCR's is slightly different. I'm checked VAGCAT and the diagram is wrong! Anyone got a diagram, or willing to write a full explanation of what the PCV system does before I remove it?

From what I understand it uses vacuum from the intake mani to aid scavenging oil from the crankcase breathers? And the PCV valve stops boost going through the ventilation system when the intake mani pressure is positive? This correct?

If I remove the PCV system, run the two breather ports to a t piece and into a catch can, and then a pipe from the catch can to the TIP I will still maintain the vacuum source from the TIP yes?

Thoughts from people in the know please? :D

Cheers

2. DannyC87

Morning bump:)

3. Ape

Ape -----Hairy Hoonigan-----

I'd like to know this as well, I want to fit a Catch Tank to mine too. Diagrams / How too would be ace (not the how to from the MkIV forum either :p )

4. SalSheikh

SalSheikh Under the Hood

5. phatchoonz1

phatchoonz1 Full Member

I'll have a look on elsa this afternoon and see if I can find the diagram for it for you.
    I had my PCV system apart last weekend on my LCR as it was all blocked up with sludge after a cold winter and too many short journeys, I cleaned it out as best as I can, but i've got a catch can on order now which i'm planning to get fitted this weekend.

6. Ape

I would ask if you'd mind if I came and offered a hand, but you live a little too far away :blink: I've got friends in Orpington too! Could you get some step by step pictures up for us?

7. Gubien

Here you go:

[​IMG]

8. DannyC87

That is not the BAM setup? Throttle body is on the wrong side for starters. I found that yesterday on VAGCAT before posting up..

Thanks anyway :)

9. Gubien

It should be it, I can really see the point in showing the picture from the other side, as the manifold would cover for what yo uare trying to see.

It's the diagram from the ETKA spareparts program with the AMK/BAM listed.

10. Gubien

This might be better, found at elsawin:

[​IMG]

11. SalSheikh

SalSheikh Under the Hood

i think someone on a golf mk4 forum has done this mod and it is quite detailed...since then there has been a group buy organisd for an american make catch can saikou make i thinks.

12. Applemobile

There is a guide on VWVortex about cleaning and tucking the bay. MOst of the information is on there.

13. DannyC87

I am fully aware of the guide on MKIV section; there are just a few differences in the hose routing with the LCR. The brake booster pipe fro example is none-existent! Gubien's second diagram has helped alot. Thanks.
    The Saikou catch can you talk of; is this not the can that Robdon was using when his engine went bang due to over-baffling in the catch can?

14. phatchoonz1

phatchoonz1 Full Member

Sorry I didn't get a chance to get the picture up yesterday afternoon, looks like Gubien has posted the picture for me though!

This is definitely the layout for the AMK/BAM engine...

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

I'll try and get some pics of the install as I do it anyway though!

15. DannyC87

Thanks for the diagrams guys. I did this mod today, removed the PCV system and fitted a catch can (toyosport) with the exit of the catch can going to the TIP to draw vacuum.

The second brake booster hose I have blocked off and the spare nipple under the mani is also now blocked.

Car runs much smoother like this, idle is stable instead of jumping up and down as it used to. Cost me £40 inc. hose, t piece and catch can.

When removing the PCV I noticed there was a lot of oil around it so I'm guessing it has been leaking for a while; glad I did this mod for this reason alone!

16. Ape

Any pictures?

17. DannyC87

It was raining when I was doing it; will get some picture tomorrow if it is dry :)

18. Cuprar72

Cuprar72 Active Member

Can it b done with inlet manifold in place still? Looks a pain to get too, also where have u mounted catch can? Links to parts u used please

19. Tessitura

Its pretty simple to fit a catch can. helps to delete the n249 too.

you pretty much end up with a vac pipe from the mani to the DV, a vac pipe from the mani to the FPR.

a single pipe from the to of the oil cooler to the inlet of the catch can, which along the way meets up with the pipe from the rocker cover.

you then return from the catch can to the intake pipe.

you also have to blank off one of the bigger connectors below the inlet manifold. (with a bung)

all the pipework under the manifold you can get rid of, including the hockey puck(assuming you use a decent catch can).

https://imgur.com/a/LBASg

hopefully that works.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k30/tufftybloke/Random/Car/S3/Build/20100927_IMAG0340.jpg

on this pic, the 2 smaller pipes are the FPR/DV connectors, the larger one on the right you blank off.

as per above, its a real pain to do it all from scratch with the mani still attached, alot easier to just take it off, since you havta re connect all the vac pipes below it.

pm me on instagram if u need anymore help.

#19 Tessitura, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017