Diesel Engine Emissions Cheating

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
Firstly apologies, I searched in vain for something on this topic on this site and searched in vain for an appropriate place to raise this issue, maybe its me.

Does anyone know whether all marques under the VW group are likely to be affected by the VW Diesel emissions test software rigging?

I know from the ease with which people talk about DPF removal that this isn't something people here generally lose sleep about but a (hypothetical) mandatory recall and some extra filtering or software crippling might well do.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/volkswagen-emissions-scandal-11m-vehicles-worldwide-could-be-affected
In a new statement issued this morning, the German manufacturer explained that the engine at the centre of the controversy is the Type EA 189 four-cylinder diesel, and VW has said that the notable deviation between emissions results in testing and on-road driving were only for cars fitted with this engine.

But the company also admitted that the engine management software at the centre of the scandal is also installed in other Volkswagen Group diesel engines. However VW believed it doesn’t have an effect in the majority of cars in which it features.

Last edited:

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
From what I've read it's a big problem in the USA because the diesel NOx emission levels are far stricter over there than here in Europe.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
whilst NOx reduction has been about for some time (egr valve anyone?) it seems it's now the biggest target on the green brigades hit list.

It was unheard of 20 years ago.

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
I wasn't sure I understood the point of that remark and maybe I still haven't but just in case.
Speaking for myself only I bought the Leon FR diesel because I wanted a relatively quick car that wasn't silly on fuel, tax and insurance, I didn't do any research into emissions etc but assumed that it would pass all necessary tests.

The VW problem is annoying for anyone whose car is affected and gets a recall because the chances are good that they won't like what gets done to fix the issue.

I shake my head quite often at the casual ease people seem to display when talking about removing the DPF, I don't know about you but I quite like the idea that we don't yet have air quality like Beijing or Tokyo. Comments to the effect that one person's actions won't make any difference are basically a bit silly, I'd actually prefer someone to say that they just don't care.

generationgav

Feb 7, 2013
I haven't yet seen any indication that Seat's are affected - but then I have a Leon Mk2 1.6l TDi, what's the chances of this engine being affected?

If they "turn down" the engine or turn down the MPG then surely the products were sold against the sale of goods act?

In addition - what are the chances of the car tax being re-banded if there's more emissions?

On one hand I don't care, but if it affects resellability of the car (presuming it will) or there's a recall which changes something on the car I like then I won't be happy.

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
MJ seems a knowledgeable and patient chap (I remember him trying to reason with "Tuning Box Man")

His post #2 above applies to your first question.

Last edited:

generationgav

Feb 7, 2013
His post #2 above applies to your first question.

I take that as a yes - including Seat's. But I haven't yet seen a source which says Seat cars have/will be affected, so that was what I was more interested by.

I know I've got a 1.6 TDi - it makes a noise and makes the car move forward, but that's about all I know about it.

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
I thought it fairly unlikely that the same powerplant is manufactured differently but I guess that depends on the number of factories that make it. I could throw in national stereotypes about standardisation and efficiency but I will leave that to the reader.

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln

PAULTDI67

Oct 21, 2009
sheffield s.yorkshire
Yes i know it 's cars register'd after 4/17 but I'll not get into that cos it's covered in another thread in short gov's realised they're going 2 loose money on fuel duty/roadtax !!so if they re_test affected cars&find emssions r higher than vw claim they'll probably b ln higher tax group!!
BUT AS LONG AS MINE PASSES MOT I COULDN'T CARE LESS!!

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
Just suppose for argument's sake that Parliament after reviewing the fallout from this affair decides that emissions part of the MOT test should also test for Nitrogen Oxide and particulates (maybe it already does but it isn't currently such an issue).

Also just suppose that the road tax bands based on CO2 are scrapped and replaced with something that is a composite of total pollution footprint.

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
Just suppose for argument's sake that Parliament after reviewing the fallout from this affair decides that emissions part of the MOT test should also test for Nitrogen Oxide and particulates (maybe it already does but it isn't currently such an issue).

Also just suppose that the road tax bands based on CO2 are scrapped and replaced with something that is a composite of total pollution footprint.

Stirring the hornet's nest there mate. The DPF removal debate would be very much affected by this......

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.