Diesel instrument cluster in petrol car.

Dec 31, 2012
Hi everyone,

I took my car to an auto electrician today to have an issue sorted out with my car. They reckon it was the instrument cluster so they supplied me with a used one they had in stock and re-coded it. Thing is my car is a petrol 1.8 Turbo Cupra 180 and they put in an instrument cluster from a 1.9 Diesel Cupra 150?

(My old Petrol instrument cluster goes up to 8,000 RPM and the Diesel one they gave me goes up to 6,00RPM)

The new 'displayed' idle speed is 500RPM opposed to just under 1,000RPM it was previously. When I give it some welly it doesn't go that far round the tachometer, I thought it would have just idled at the same displayed revs (1,000) and holding onto the gear would rev out passed the 6,000 red line but it doesn't.

Will my car be ok like this?

Cheers.

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Diesel cluster converted to petrol...

ac98344bee1d12fbfc951f0571ff89e8.jpg
81e05bc0306b657b5aea15d2a5315162.jpg
3a5fefd75edc85fd0b63ab22d1a27a5f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Dec 31, 2012
Thats so shockingly simple it's overlooked a lot I guess. Ecu is telling it what to do isn't it, so display could be anything. Obvious now lol.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Guess it would explain my displayed RPM; ECU still detecting the same revs and the needle at the same point/angle per throttle input but just the diesel template has a bigger distance to travel between RPM. Just hope the speedo is correct lol.

Reactions: Andrewwright
Dec 31, 2012
My issue was an intermittent fault that would happen every morning with my car, battery light would be on, digital panel showing mileage/time was all messed up and after starting car the engine would cut out after a second or two. BUT then an hour or so later the digital panel in the cluster was showing correctly, battery light had gone and would start and run fine for the rest of the day.

The supplied cluster appears to have sorted the issue (Albeit it's only been one day) but I want to run the car a few more days just to make sure it was indeed the cluster that caused the issue, then ask for them to put the proper one in (i.e. Petrol). Why does everyone think? Thanks for your replies so far guys!

Deleted member 103408

Guess it would explain my displayed RPM; ECU still detecting the same revs and the needle at the same point/angle per throttle input but just the diesel template has a bigger distance to travel between RPM. Just hope the speedo is correct lol.

You should be able to check the spedo easily using google maps (if you are android) or waze as that will show you GPS Speed.

Reactions: A nice cupra T

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Thats so shockingly simple it's overlooked a lot I guess. Ecu is telling it what to do isn't it, so display could be anything. Obvious now lol.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Unfortunately it's not quite as simple as just swapping the foils over.
The eeprom needs to be flashed and calibrated otherwise the RPM and odometer will read incorrectly.
Also certain model specific lights will need activating / deactivation ie. Glow plugs

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
My issue was an intermittent fault that would happen every morning with my car, battery light would be on, digital panel showing mileage/time was all messed up and after starting car the engine would cut out after a second or two. BUT then an hour or so later the digital panel in the cluster was showing correctly, battery light had gone and would start and run fine for the rest of the day.

The supplied cluster appears to have sorted the issue (Albeit it's only been one day) but I want to run the car a few more days just to make sure it was indeed the cluster that caused the issue, then ask for them to put the proper one in (i.e. Petrol). Why does everyone think? Thanks for your replies so far guys!

Sounds like the same fault i had with my cluster. I think it all stems from poor soldier joints where the sockets on the back of the cluster join the circuit board inside. Mine would do it on cold mornings in the winter, and then be ok once the temp inside the car warmed up.

I agree with what everyone else has said, a diesel cluster isn't going to cut it as the calibration and warning lights will be wrong.

I mangaged to get lucky and get a deal on a brand new cluster that someone had sitting around for years, as new clusters are over £400 from SEAT!

If you search around on google, i did find a few companies that will repair your old cluster for about £150 if you post it to them, although obviously you can't drive the car without it as the IMMO is built into it.

Reactions: A nice cupra T
Dec 31, 2012
Unfortunately it's not quite as simple as just swapping the foils over.
The eeprom needs to be flashed and calibrated otherwise the RPM and odometer will read incorrectly.
Also certain model specific lights will need activating / deactivation ie. Glow plugs

Tested my speed using GPS and that's fine, just my displayed RPM is under-reading.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.