Difference between FR,T and Cupra Engines?

ant61uk

Sep 6, 2011
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Hi, looking at buying a 57 plate ibiza fr, and was just wondering if it is the same engine as the Cupra?

I know the ECU will need a different MAP but is the engine the same lump?

Also, If a buy the 150Bhp FR, what can it be tuned to with a REmap alone?

Thanks

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Had loads of questions like this between the FR and Cupra. A search will bring all the information you need ;)

To start with the Cupra has a bigger turbo but is a fair bit up from Ins group 8 on the FR.

Its not all about the engine power though as the Cupra has much better brakes and a even harder suspention to deal with.

R1ch85

1/4mile - 13.935 @ 100.54
Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
No, the turbos are the same. A Cupra has a larger air intake pipe, a large front mount intercooler compared to the side mount on the FR, and a different map of course. There may be other things but they have the same turbo for sure.

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
Suspension is also the exact same between fr and cupra. Basically the intake and intercooler are the only difference. An fr will map to 190-200ish

Suspension is different i thought? Apparently the cupra had stiffer shocks and softer springs in comparisson to the FR (hence the even more horrific ride quality lol)

xSCYTHERx

Jul 29, 2011
London
Hi, looking at buying a 57 plate ibiza fr, and was just wondering if it is the same engine as the Cupra?

I know the ECU will need a different MAP but is the engine the same lump?

Also, If a buy the 150Bhp FR, what can it be tuned to with a REmap alone?

Thanks

Got mine remapped to just over 190BHP the other day. Only cost me £100 more on insurance which is a hell of a lot cheaper than me trying to insure a cupra compared to the FR.....

ant61uk

Sep 6, 2011
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Bought the FR T

Ok, well ive bought a new toy, seat ibiza fr 57 plate, november 2007 1.8t, 39k miles (Crash Damaged) for 2k.

Went to look at it and needs a few panels, but should be a good weekend project.:whistle:

It has however got a smashed side intercooler ....:help:

Should I replace with a standard side fit or can a cupra intercooler be fitted directly on?

Does any one have any other recommendations?

Basically, im wainting to achieve about 210 bhp so if I have to replace some parts now, might as well buy the right ones.

Thanks

Dec 3, 2009
sounds great, 2k is a bargain! hopefully no hidden problems and literally only the panels!

yeah a cupra intercooler can be put on with 2 small cuts made to the inside of the bumper, there's loads of FAQs on it if you search, that will help increase bhp, although figures aren't everything

J44APX

No Smoke - No Poke
Oct 31, 2011
Boston
Yea, the Yellow FR, Its paid for and I get possession tomorrow hopefully... ;)

Does any one know what the part number is for a cupra intercooler?

Haha i was close to buying this to track it
Already been relisted once
Doesnt look like it needs to much work really

Anyway i will get off your thread now haha
Hope you enjoy it !!!
:p

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise