Difference between 'INSPEC' and 'OIL' service light?

celoader

Sep 12, 2011
Denmark
Hi guys,

I'm sorry if this has been asked like a million times, but on the way home from work today, the little spanner appeared on the odometer today with the word 'INSPEC', which I'm assuming means inspection...

Now, is this different from the usual 'OIL' message that appears next to the little spanner? Doe's it just need to be turned off, just in the same way that you tun off the 'OIL' message (the old trick with the reset button, ignition on, hold reset button for a few seconds...). Is it just the usual message that appears when the car needs a full service? I'd look in my hand book, but the car was originally from Holland....

I'm just asking to make sure that the car isn't telling me that it needs to be checked by VAGCOM, or if a normal service reset is enough? The car has only had an oil, filters and cambelt change about 2000 miles ago, so probably just didn't get the 'INSPEC' reset when serviced...

Cheers in advance!

"oil" means the car thinks its due an oil change according to milage
"insp" means it thinks its due a full service according to the milage.
if you want it off then follow these steps below
1, key in ignition in the off position
2, hold the milage reset button down
3, whilst still holding the button down turn the ignition on fully but dont start the car
keep holding it down until "---" appears then you can let go.
simple as that :D

celoader

Sep 12, 2011
Denmark
Cheers for the replies fellas, I had a google search before putting up the post, but couldn't find a definite answer on the 'INSPEC' message, but at least I know now! Anyway, the little spanner has now gone after the simple reset procedure, cheers!

May 10, 2019
For the Seat Ibiza (manufactured 2014 --> onwards) the service light reset works as the manual says
BUT YOU HAVE TO TURN THE HAZARD WARNING LIGHTS ON FOR THE WHOLE PROCESS:

1. Turn off the ignition
2. TURN ON THE HAZARD WARNING LIGHTS
3. Press and hold the "0/0 Set" button
4. Turn on the ignition (while pressing "0/0 Set")
5. Release the "0/0 Set" button
6. Press the button next to the "0/0 Set" button in 20 seconds (you only have to press it briefly) and the INSPEC_ text should disappear.

For the OIL light reset, you don't need to turn on the hazard lights, I think.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members