Difference in exhaust notes between DSG CUPRA 280,290 & 300

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Evening all,

Yep another thread about exhaust notes.

Never really seen many comparisons between the standard 280, 290 and 300.

I came across a post on YouTube which has a decent attempt. Unfortunately the video isn't in English but after the initial 20 sec intro it doesn't matter as it's just comparing the sounds under different scenarios.

Enjoy

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Daire92

jka

Cupra 300 DSG
Mar 27, 2017
Sweden
I have the 300 SC not much better tbh, and all the clips with sound from the outside is quite useless. its when you are inside that matters.

whiteyrfc92

Feb 12, 2018
All 3 don’t sound good to be honest, Cobra sport cat-back exhaust fitted and disconnecting the sound actuator on my 280 has fixed this though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
All 3 don’t sound good to be honest, Cobra sport cat-back exhaust fitted and disconnecting the sound actuator on my 280 has fixed this though.

A number of CUPRA drivers like me lease and aren't all that keen on the idea of messing with the exhaust.

As the far as the standard systems go the 290 and 300 don't sound too bad imho.

Then again I am coming from a stock manual 280 which seems virtually silent apart from the actuator.

whiteyrfc92

Feb 12, 2018
A number of CUPRA drivers like me lease and aren't all that keen on the idea of messing with the exhaust.

As the far as the standard systems go the 290 and 300 don't sound too bad imho.

Then again I am coming from a stock manual 280 which seems virtually silent apart from the actuator.

This is true, i can’t say i have heard a 290 or 300 in person so i can’t really comment other than from what i have heard from YouTube videos which obviously sounds far worse.

It’s a shame when compared to the Golf R etc. which sound a lot better IMO.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
It’s a shame when compared to the Golf R etc. which sound a lot better IMO.

Yeah both the S3 and Golf R have a more warbly/bassy sound track to the exhaust and I much prefer those in DSG transmission.

Instead the 290 just seemed to have a loud upshift crack.

The Hyundai I30N has been the best manual hot hatch I've heard in recent years.

razmeister

May 28, 2018
I've got a 280, and at full acceleration (approaching red line) - the engine note is quite nice, not sure how much of it is the actuator though. Agree the exhaust is a bit tame / lame.

Am considering a mod, but don't want it to be too shouty all the time, i.e. in comfort mode, would still want it to be quiet-ish...is that character retained if swapping for an aftermarket exhaust? Some of the later ones (290 etc) seem to be too "farty" which also sounds a bit fake I think. I've seen many people go for a backbox delete option, but wouldn't that affect the emissions come MOT time?

Looks wise, the standard exhausts look quite piddly also, from a distance they are barely noticeable. I've seen some with Audi RS style exhausts which look the business, IMO how it should have looked from the factory!

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
I've got a 280, and at full acceleration (approaching red line) - the engine note is quite nice, not sure how much of it is the actuator though. Agree the exhaust is a bit tame / lame.

Am considering a mod, but don't want it to be too shouty all the time, i.e. in comfort mode, would still want it to be quiet-ish...is that character retained if swapping for an aftermarket exhaust? Some of the later ones (290 etc) seem to be too "farty" which also sounds a bit fake I think. I've seen many people go for a backbox delete option, but wouldn't that affect the emissions come MOT time?

Looks wise, the standard exhausts look quite piddly also, from a distance they are barely noticeable. I've seen some with Audi RS style exhausts which look the business, IMO how it should have looked from the factory!
If you want a bit more growl but don't want it too shouty etc then have the centre silencer removed. Cheap to do and makes it's more sporty without any of the drone you can sometimes get with other exhaust modfications

razmeister

May 28, 2018
Thanks. Will look into centre silencer removal. Anyone know of any garages with experience in doing this? Also hoping it doesn't affect MOT?

Regarding tips, I've seen some replacement Audi RS style ones on eBay (here)....looking at the stock ones, they look like they are just bolted on too, i.e. not part of the actual pipe itself so hoping replacement is easy!

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
Thanks. Will look into centre silencer removal. Anyone know of any garages with experience in doing this? Also hoping it doesn't affect MOT?

I took mine to an independent exhaust centre local to me in Kent, simple job to take the silencer out and weld a new piece of pipe in. It cost me £96 if I remember correctly and I had no issues with getting my MOT from a SEAT main dealer.

Reactions: razmeister

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
Brilliant! Do you have a recording of the sound by any chance?
I do but I'm logged in on my work laptop at present and it's on my phone. Video's don't really do it justice as the quality of the audio is generally poor but it gives you some idea. You only really appreciate it when letting someone else drive your car down the road whilst you're outside.

The best thing I did to improve the sound was turn off the sound aktor

If you are on Instagram look at my profile (Blowski83) and you'll find a video from January time of me launching my car.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
FWIW. I queried doing a resonator delete with my Service Manager, he said it would not affect warranty, unless there was an issue directly related to the exhaust. He specifically referred to NVH issues.

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
Has anyone else noticed the small holes on each of the back boxes on the Cupra 300? If so what are they for.
Unsure but I hope someone knows as it might answer my question in another thread of what is physically different on the exhausts between the 280 and the 290/300 (apart from the centre silencer) as the idling sound is much deeper. Maybe the holes in the back box are the reason.

AndyP

Sep 5, 2017
Manchester
Unsure but I hope someone knows as it might answer my question in another thread of what is physically different on the exhausts between the 280 and the 290/300 (apart from the centre silencer) as the idling sound is much deeper. Maybe the holes in the back box are the reason.

I know that when the engine is running they blow gasses out.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.