Differences between the 2.0tfsi engines BWA, BWJ and BHZ

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Thats quite reassuring as it seems that there are a few of the K03s engines bending rods although there have been few failures.

anthony37

Take No ****!
Jun 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Are these code engines BWJ, BHZ & BWA gearboxes compatible with one another, could you use the other 2 with the BWJ engine as a swap?

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Yes. FR code boxes are shorter geared as memory serves though. Yours will have a JQN or KDU code box.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
The BHZ code is an engine code and that code belongs to an S3. If you plan to fit an S3 gearbox, then you should perhaps consider some other things like a diff and some driveshafts :lol:

You need to find a gearbox from a Cupra or Edition 30 ideally for gearing although an FR/GTi box will fit the engine - not sure if there is any other difference other than the gearing though - ie strenghtening. Also, I believe the gearing in the facelift Cupra is the same as the pre facelift FR but not 100% sure.

Last edited:

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
There are 4 gearboxes listed for the BWJ engine.

JQN .... 11/06 - 06/07
KDU .... 06/07 - 02/08
KPA .... 03/08 - 05/09
KZW .... 05/09 - 05/11

anthony37

Take No ****!
Jun 21, 2010
Edinburgh
There are 4 gearboxes listed for the BWJ engine.

JQN .... 11/06 - 06/07
KDU .... 06/07 - 02/08
KPA .... 03/08 - 05/09
KZW .... 05/09 - 05/11

Thanks for that TimSawf! After some searching this morning I found only two codes you mentioned, JQN & KDU, Now I have a more vast variety with these codes KPA & KZW!

They not very popular at scrappies and very hard to get your hands on one! Phoned around and got hold of KDU box for £906 at 247spares, thought I was going to pas out when they told me the price! Found one for £500 on E-BAY used but a bit sceptical on some of E-BAY's stuff.

I am sitting with a choice if I should just get the bearing sorted or spending the mnoney on a box? :confused:

anthony37

Take No ****!
Jun 21, 2010
Edinburgh
The BHZ code is an engine code and that code belongs to an S3. If you plan to fit an S3 gearbox, then you should perhaps consider some other things like a diff and some driveshafts :lol:

You need to find a gearbox from a Cupra or Edition 30 ideally for gearing although an FR/GTi box will fit the engine - not sure if there is any other difference other than the gearing though - ie strenghtening. Also, I believe the gearing in the facelift Cupra is the same as the pre facelift FR but not 100% sure.

That sounds interesting Al, so what's the ED30 box code I should be looking out for? I need to get this sorted before GTI International. :(

Al

Aug 29, 2005
No - you need to find one as per the chaps list above or per my link on the post I did about part numbers. Your best chance to find a proper box is through a find a part thing, or call the likes of Stattlers who keep those things in stock

anthony37

Take No ****!
Jun 21, 2010
Edinburgh
No - you need to find one as per the chaps list above or per my link on the post I did about part numbers. Your best chance to find a proper box is through a find a part thing, or call the likes of Stattlers who keep those things in stock

It probably would be cheaper to replace the bearing on the input shaft. I will have it sent away and see what the cast will be. Don't think it will be to much fingers crossed and if its not viable to fix I will go the other direction. :shrug:

EduN

Hello. Can the engine change BWA on BWJ in Seat Altea Freetrack just reinstalling. What may be difficult. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members