Dirty filter.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Gave the car a service this week, and just finished this afternoon (had to stagger things a little due to wifey being busy in the car and work etc.). So changed a filter this afternoon, and this is what it looked like.

filter.jpg

Diesel fuel filter. How dirty?

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Yeah, does look a bit yucky don't it. :whistle: Not sure when it was last changed, even though the car has full SH, so I think I'll do it myself from hereon in. 100k miles on the clock now so nothing much to lose.

I did the oil at the same time and I sucked all the diesel out of the filter housing with the Pela extractor. Black it was.

So, car's had a fuel filter (black), oil and filter (black), air filter (fairly black), and a pollen filter (very black), and just got a glow plug to change now then she's good to go. Oh, and a side light bulb popped again so need one of those.

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
I've never seen a fuel filter that black before! assuming that it was standard element colour went it started life.

Sometimes it make's you think about FSH at some garages.

You know its done properly when you DIY.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
The new filters (all of them) were white, so I seriously doubt that any of them have been changed at the specified intervals, oil filter excluded perhaps. Still, all done now.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Crikey, I'd never imagine a diesel filter could get that black !

The diesel filters on my Ibiza & Passats have all been complete canisters rather than changeable elements, so have never seen the condition of the filter elements inside.

Silly how highly the general public value "full dealer service history" isn't it...
(Same as for "one lady owner". How is that supposed to sell a car to me :D )

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Most of that crap will be from your tank - from the massive tanks at the station where you fuel up, even the garage cant ensure that your fuel is 100% contaminent free but at least it shows that your filter is working correctly.
If you had the other type of filter (a 3CO instead of a 1K0) you can normally, very clearly see alot of metalic brassy looking deposties on the flat surface on the top of the filter.

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
mine was changed last week at 90k, only because i asked the garage and makes me wonder what it was like.
a look through the service manual indicates that they should do on an Oil Change Service, which i believe is every 10k. but as you say, you never can tell what they do...

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
The intervals on a tdi are as follows: (please note that Seat change there mind on a regular basis)

10k - oil change
20k - oil and pollen filter + brake fluid
30k - oil change
40k - oil change, pollen filter, air filter, fuel filter and brake fluid change
50k - oil change
60k - oil and pollen filter + brake fluid + timing belt and tensioner
70k - oil change
80k - oil change, pollen filter, air filter, fuel filter and brake fluid change

This time last year the air filter was supposed to be replaced at every 20k interval aswell as the pollen, the timing belt is now changed every 4 years instead of 6 (regardless of milage) and there is now talk of pollen filter replacement every 10k.

Last edited:

LeeC

Nothing unusual there. I work on HGV's and filters are always like that. And the metal flakes you can see as well on merc trucks fuel filters, they have a little cartridge they sit in you clean. When you change it next time it will be the same, its nicer to have piece of mind that its done because you did it though.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Just to clarify, I service the Citroen Berlingo every 12k miles aswell, and change the fuel filter every second service. The van's done 240k miles now so it's got plenty of chance for muck in the tank. The fuel filter on that is about half the size of the Altea filter and I've not seen it anything like as black as that. :)

They both get filled up at the same service stations aswell.

Anyway, a new pollen filter to help stop the aircon smelling, a new air filter for improved breathing, a new oil filter and fresh oil for smoother running, a new diesel filter for the same, and I asked the wife if she noticed anything different about the car. She said...

"You've put some apple scented screenwash in, haven't you." :doh:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members