Dirty seat sport calipers

Oct 12, 2005
I am stick of my calipers been dirty and look more black than red. I am gonna take the wheels off at the weekend and clean the calipers. Whats the easiest and best way to do this. What products that I can get from somewhere like halfords.

Thanks

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
clean them with some wonder wheels cleaner but don't leave it on too long

then a good coat of wax to keep fresh dirt sticking on

try not to get any wax on the disks or you may not have very good brakes the first time you use them

Cupra_Jay

Orange Wheels FTW!!
Oct 25, 2006
Pub!!
when you say wax, do you mean normal car wax or do you need to get a special type of wax?

am in the same boat as chill, my seat sport calipers are more black than red, havent got round to taking my wheels of yet due to the fantastic weather we are having!! :ban:

i did think for a while about spraying my calipers black to make a change and to try and hide the brake dust better, but changed my mind, love them red

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
yup, normal body wax, the calipers probably only get to the same sort of temp as the body sat in the sun in summer time

so yes normal body wax on the wheels and calipers but not the disks

Last edited:

Ric 2001

Need an ID-ten-T form
I am stick of my calipers been dirty and look more black than red. I am gonna take the wheels off at the weekend and clean the calipers. Whats the easiest and best way to do this. What products that I can get from somewhere like halfords.

Thanks

You'll need to get something that is close to neutral ph levels, because your caliper will turn pink (unless they already are).

I did a good overhaul of the wheels and calipers the other month and there full of brake dust again. Looks funny because the back wheels are quite clean but the front are black.

But thanks for the tip on wax Nathwarr, will have to try this when the rain has died down abit.

Hudson

May 15, 2007
Bilston.
I'd use somehting like wonder wheels or Megs hot wheels with a bursh to get the ingrained stuff out.

As for waxing them its not going to last very long as your calipers get pretty warm when breaking and I dont spose a wax is gonna stand up to the heat.

I've read of people using jetseal on rims like on your paint work to seal the rim and helps cleaning later on so thi smay work on callipers too.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
i would remove em, clean em with soapy water. then polish them which will remove the brake dust, then repolish to seal the paint, then just keep on top of them. Must say my old brembos always had a nice shine on them. Think the Ap calipers have a slightly different finish on them. But don't use anything to harsh on them, treat it like you would bodywork etc

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
i took my wheels off the other day air blew out all of the dust laying about and used brake componet cleaner to clean everything up front and back then cleaned the coilovers the suspension and compounded (t-cut) the calipers then a thin coat of wax and they went froma palepink to a spanking new red :D

Image018.jpg

lovely jubbly!

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
they arent re-painted ;) but i must admit they dont look great again now and its only been a month or so i done them :lol: and i dont use acid on wheels ect would get them replaced under warranty but i dont want some appretice with bumfluff on his chin driving my beast :no:

Stephen O

May 4, 2004
Manchester
Speaking from experience!

Dont use ally wheel cleaner's at all, it tend's to turn the caliper pink! I used a small amount of t-cut then Auto Glym Super Resin Polish which brought back the shine. But the best bet is to clean em every time you wash the car, just stick some soapy finger's through the wheel, lol! Works a treat!!!

Oct 12, 2005
I used hot soapy water and its brought they up really well. I didnt even have to take the wheel off. However the paint is flicking off on one side. I have filled in it with caliper paint but now it has bright red dots on it.

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
Mine proper red and black. Not sure if ive had brake fluid on them in the past, but mine have permanent black marks on :(

Ah well, the car does get a fair bit of use.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise