Disaster Results - GTB2260VK Project for BMN Engine

pita100

Dec 19, 2013
Hi Guys,

It's gonna be a little bit long, so I apologize in advance:)

Sadly, this is my second round of this project. first round was ended with a cracked GTB turbo.:cry:

Background:

I have a Seat Leon FR TDI 2000CC\170HP (BMN) with DP (dpf was physically removed) and EGR Delete kit(beside that car is stock). car is remapped by respective tuner and was running great.

After a while, it came to me that I need(want) more power(we all do) so I decided to order and install a vacuum converted GTB2260VK turbo with vacuum actuator, manifold and 4 MAP bar.

Turbo has arrived, while installing the GTB turbo, the mechanic has noticed that the directions of the oil flange and the actuator tip was upside down(the actuator was facing down) so he had to open one side of the turbo(I don't know which) to do a "clocking" to the turbo and turn the chra so the connections will be in the right position.

also, mechanic has swap between the actuators, install the original(electric) one on the GTB instead of the one(mechanic) that came with him.

After installation completed, I remapped with custom map for this turbo, but car has no boost at all(85% Duty cycle)
also, Actuator could not been adapt on vcds under basic settings.

The mechanic has played with actuator rod length with no success. :(

I decided to take the car to someone with more knowledge then the one that installed the turbo,
he played with the actuator rod length again and reconnect all the vacuum pipes (with a help of vacuum diagram) and I got a boost and car that smoking like hell!:(
Car was running a slightly better then the original turbo but not as expected.

Logs showed 2.6 BAR boost( I didn't had a boost gauge on that time) at max with 35% average of duty cycle.

after a 100KM at high speed in six gear turbo has blow, housing was berg from the turbo (see attached pictures) and I'm crying :cry:

New turbo was ordered from top-tune. the turbo will come with tuned CR electric actuator(They cannot succeeded to tuned the original BMN actuator on this turbo) and the right directions for oil flange and housing connections.

They told me that this can be successfully run on a BMN engine and they did some successfully installation on this engine with the electric CR actuator.

Also, just to be on the safe side this time - I called Darkside and asked for they advice, they told me that if I will struggle to tune the ecu for a different actuator, then I should leave the OEM actuator plug in and connect the vacuum pipe to the actuator that will come with the GTB turbo.

So Guys - What do you think has happened there, What caused the turbo to explode ?
What was the main mistakes and what should I do now to avoid another round ;)
What do you think about running CR actuator on a BMN engine(it's impossible?) and about Darkside suggestion ?

I will be happy to learn from your experience and knowledge to avoid those mistakes again and finish this project with happy results.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

duke21

Mar 20, 2016
Hi. I have gtb2260 on bmn but octavia rs. I had mainly problems related to spool. First disaster of ex. manifold because i was trying to save. Later i welded exhaust housing to bmn manifold. After that problems with vnt. I opened turbo and find out no matter how i set stop screw, i couldnt close vanes enough. Additionally some vanes couldnt close enough.

In your case i think main problem is not using boost gauge. Why?
Because if i use cr actuator, ecu limits boost. But if i do trick told by darkside to attach pd170 false actuator, boost is going into sky. If i try accelerate with half throttle, boost jumps to 2.5bars even in 2nd gear. I wont imagine what would happen in 4th wot. I think that happened in your case.

Your tuner probably tryed to get better spool by raising smoke limiters. So there you have no boost and loads of fuel so much black smoke. Pm if you want to discuss.

PHILMEWAGON

Long member
Apr 4, 2013
Boro
The lads at Darkside know their VAG diesel. If they told you something I would stick to that advice.

Don't know about the first turbo, hope this new one works out for you.

pita100

Dec 19, 2013
Hi Guys, Thanks for you replies.
Duke, I'm using GTB2260 with CR electric actuator.
My boost according to gauge is 2.5 Bar.
Do you use a mechanic actuator(vacuum only)that came with the GTB and connected the ecu plug to the original actuator ?
I'm still dealing with smoke issues, my plastic manifold(swirl flaps) is leaking oil and boost.
I'm about to install this week, BKD aluminium manifold and remove the swirl flaps.
Also, I had installed Sachs carbon/Kevlar clutch with DMF. only done 100km till now and it look fine.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
You need to speak to Kilner! he has got the best results from BMN with GTB turbo fitted.

He is know as "K-Tune"

pita100

Dec 19, 2013
I had tried to send him a message, but never got reply.
Kilner - I need your help with mapping and tuning.

Found him on Facebook.
Hope he will end my problems.

Last edited:

pita100

Dec 19, 2013
Duke21 - Can you PM me please, I cannot send you a private massage.
I really need your advice.

duke21

Mar 20, 2016
I use CR actuator from Golf 6. I had faulty VNT so im waiting for new turbo which will arrive next week.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.