DIY boost controller

Gordz

Caught The Mod Bug Again!
May 31, 2007
North East
I remember a thread about this a while ago, and if i remember correctly, most people were saying that on a diesel it doesn't have too much of an effect upon performance, but on petrols they do.

But I could be wrong though!

Feb 22, 2009
South Wales
http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/-strse-176/Dawes-Device--dsh-The-Basic/Detail

hybrid.jpg

Dawes Device -The Basic Boost Controller
SKU: Dawes BBC

Advantages:

1) Classic Design: at an Affordable Price!

2) Customer Satisfaction: Rating of over 99%

2)100% Quality Inspection: Assures Fully Functional Controllers Everytime!

Applications: All wastegated turbocharged engines (not for VW TDI '04+), including OBDII equipped applications

Price: $35 (includes 7 page online manual)

Purpose: To provide an inexpensive way to allow more boost by eliminating computer control of the wastegate, and to save you $300, when compared to an electronic controller.

How it works: Our boost controller mounts in-line between the intake manifold (or turbo nipple) and the wastegate. The controller holds the signal from the wastegate until the desired boost level is reached. By conditioning the boost signal this way, the following results occur:

a) Time to Peak Boost is dramatically improved

b) More boost "area under the curve" for increased mid-range torque!

c) Boost limit is raised to the point that you, not the ECU, desire!

jabbasport

^^ Above description looks to be for wastegated turbos, not VNT..

I'd like to see these working over a period of time..

Personally i dont think the n75 etc would like boost being injected into the VAC lines and think it may induce a bit of a boost wobble on a diesel.

Interesting concept though..

kev

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
Unless your pumping in more fuel then you don't want more boost, you will get extremely high egt's and kill your turbo.

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
^^ Above description looks to be for wastegated turbos, not VNT..

I'd like to see these working over a period of time..

Personally i dont think the n75 etc would like boost being injected into the VAC lines and think it may induce a bit of a boost wobble on a diesel.

Interesting concept though..

kev
do you have an N75 with a wastegate?-- many app's just take a wastegate feed from the compressor housing-- this is where you would fit on of these and then crank it up to suit--- I did this on a Terrano many years ago(which I'd forgot) however you can backfeed pressure into the vac line to cut spikes obviously different aplication:) my Ibiza has had this for several years

air121005

Sep 28, 2006
Worcestershire
don't these work on petrols because of the lambda sensor detecting the exhaust gasses being a bit lean due to the ncrease in boost, the ECU then adds more fuel to compensate :shrug:

no such sensors on a deisel ;)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.