DIY Boost leak tester guide

Charlie20v

Aug 15, 2012
Derby
Hi, wondered if anyone could help me? would it be ok to plumb the airline straight into the inlet manifold via the brake booster vac pipe and block of the tip (pcv and maf)

Sprogpole

Jul 20, 2012
Leicester
Ezibleed brake bleeding kits have most of the stuff needed to make a boost leak tester, and it runs of the spare tyre so no compressor noise.

Works a treat for me :D

Greavesy

Jun 30, 2013
Donny
Anyone on Donny made one of these what would be willing to lend me for a day or two? Will provide beer tokens.

If not I'll make on myself.

chiR26

Anyone on Donny made one of these what would be willing to lend me for a day or two? Will provide beer tokens.

If not I'll make on myself.

If you make one can you help me check for leaks ;)
I'm often in my inlaws who live in DN5 although I'm from Cheshire.
Absolutely brilliant guide btw, my problem is I bought the car as is and I'm totally clueless.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Greavesy

Jun 30, 2013
Donny
Think I'm going to order the kit tonight to make one. Once I've got it built and tested I'll let you know ChiR26.

chiR26

I've already got one, need to set up a Donny boost leak testing meet :p

Sounds like a plan... if I don't sell the 172 20vt first. I'd probably come anyway, I do love any excuse for a meet.

Greavesy

Jun 30, 2013
Donny
Sounds like a plan... if I don't sell the 172 20vt first. I'd probably come anyway, I do love any excuse for a meet.

What you after mate?
My mates got a Megane 225 in back and I think he'd literally fall in love with a 172 20vt.

chiR26

Not after anything tbh.. It's quite a well known car. It was AndyRGs old car so you can be sure it was built to a high standard.. Ive not even listed it for sale and already there is 2 people selling their cars to try and buy it.. Someone came from South Wales to view/test drive yesterday and they're getting quotes fit insurance. . Can't see it being around long tbh. .

chiR26

Guy made me an offer id usually accept but on this occasion it gave me the opportunity to keep my little turbo :))
Also picked up my first cupra today but can't post pics yet :(

Last edited by a moderator:

cuprapete

Feb 18, 2010
Damp Devon
Finally got round to making my boost leak tester today.

made it out of a sink waste trap in the end as it fitted perfectly together.

hwz79j.jpg

Have also found a big leak in the PCV system so am going to have to look into how to remove the whole lot I think as it looks a right pain to repair/replace

Last edited:

chiR26

Quick Q, surely you can use the gauge on the pump? More a statement lol

ssbnumber34

Nov 26, 2013
Just tried this on my 180 through the pipe that goes to my throttle body, had to block up the intake sipe end too but for some reason the air goes down nearly as fast as its put in? what am i doing wrong here?

tully78

Jan 8, 2014
I just bought a bicycle inner tube for mine and cut the part off with the valve attached worked a treat...lol

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members