DIY fitting of parking sensors *Now with Guide*

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
After some research I decided to get a DIY parking sensor kit (£18 from ebay). Obviously its the most basic version, but should hopefully be good enough for me :blink:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190322960277&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I have searched the forum and it seems quite a few people have attempted / fitted something similar.

There seems to be three main stages to fitting..

1. Wire 'control box' to reverse light and also earth in boot.
2. Drill bumper and fit sensors, wire these to control box.
3. Find somewhere to attach buzzer and wire it to control box.

Does anyone have a photo guide or photos of fitting parking sensors, didn't find any in search..

My main query's are..

A. Where is the easiest place to cut into the reverse wire and to earth the connection on Ibiza's?
B. I'm guessing the bumper needs removed to fit the sensors.. Where is the best place to feed the sensor wires to the control box before refitting the bumper?

thanks in advance

Last edited:

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
Ok, sensors arrived. I ordered silver which proved to be much too light as my car is grey. They are designed to be spray painted if necessary so I sprayed them to match my car tonight.

I think I can feed the sensor wires through the grommet the number plate light feeds into the boot from reading a bit more on the net.

Still unsure where to splice into the reversing light, the light is in the tailgate and the wires seem to feed back into the car on the left side.. anyone have a wiring diagram? Failing that I will need to test each wire with a volt meter.

Hoping to 'try' to fit them the next dry afternoon I'm free, staring with finding the reverse light positive wire, and drilling the holes as the last thing that's done! I will do a guide if I ever figure it out if anyone is interested.

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
Ok, so the sensors are fitted so as promised I have taken pictures and written a guide. Hopefully this will assist someone in the future.

Items needed :-
1. Parking Sensor Kit (Sensors, CPU, power cord and buzzer) and correct size of hole saw
2. Screwdrivers (torx and philips heads needed)
3. Multimeter, wire strippers, electrical tape, connectors or soldering iron (depending on how you want to connect wires)

4. Drill :scary:

Step 1 : Colour code sensors

The original sensors were silver, so I sprayed them grey to closer match my car.

IMG_0433.JPG

IMG_0438.JPG

IMG_0440.JPG

Step 2 : Electric work

We need to identify the + wire to the reversing light (so the sensors will be activated when reverse gear is selected) and a ground point.

Turn engine on and select reverse gear, then turn engine off. Next turn the key half way to engage power, but not starting engine (battery light will be illuminated). You should see the reverse light on when you took at the tailgate.

Open the hatch under the light in the tailgate, you will see three wires. Using the multimeter identify the + wire (in this case its the red/black one at the bottom)

IMG_0445.JPG

IMG_0450.JPG

These wires reappear on the left side of the boot trim. Take off the trim on top of the nearside rear seatbelt.

IMG_0446.JPG

IMG_0447.JPG

IMG_0448.JPG

IMG_0449.JPG

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
Again using the multimeter identify where the + wire reappears, In this case its the top connector red/black on left (pin 3) changing to green/blue on right.

IMG_0451.JPG

There are sharp bits here... don't cut yourself like I did.

IMG_0454.JPG

Cut the + wire and use a connector (or solder) the + wire for the CPU. The grounding point is behind the connectors, cut the brown wire and use a connector to join the ground wire for the CPU. You can use electrical tape to insulate these if you want.

IMG_0455.JPG

IMG_0456.JPG

IMG_0457.JPG

IMG_0458.JPG

Final inspection of electrical work by a small dog! :happy:

IMG_0459.JPG

You may wish to 'test' the system at this point now you have power by connecting everything up before you continue.

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
Step 3 : Fitting sensors to bumper and fitting CPU/buzzer

Mask off area you are going to drill on the bumper, my sensor kit recommended 40-50cm off the ground and 30 cm apart where possible. Decide where you are going to drill with a tape measure and spirt level (if you want).

IMG_0460.JPG

IMG_0463.JPG

IMG_0464.JPG

Remove bumper (there is a guide on here I used.. thanks st10587) - http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=227420

There is an airvent where the spare wheel is you can use to feed the wires through.

IMG_0461.JPG

IMG_0462.JPG

Drill holes using hole saw and drill

IMG_0465.JPG

IMG_0466.JPG

Insert sensors and feed wires thought boot, tidy cables using cable ties.

IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0468.JPG

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
Find somewhere to put CPU and buzzer, and secure cables with ties.

IMG_0469.JPG

IMG_0470.JPG

IMG_0471.JPG

Refit bumper, tidy everything up and give it a test with a wall or something (be careful the first time!!)

IMG_0472.JPG

IMG_0474.JPG

IMG_0475.JPG

IMG_0476.JPG

--------------------

Thats it.. thanks for reading.

Last edited:

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
hmm, is seems some of the pictures should be rotated. Unfortunately I used G.I.M.P (image editor.. a bit like photoshop except.. open source) to edit the photos and it seems to have rotated them all by itself.... I should have known. :headhurt:

Disco_Biscuit

Ibiza Cupra Tdi PD200
Jul 8, 2007
Nice Job, personally i'd mount the buzzer behind the trim out of sight, you can still hear it ok ......

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
Thank all, The buzzer is quite loud and it would probably have been ok to put it in the trim.

Anyone else fitted these or something similar?

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK

Not sure exactly how far off the ground 50-60 cm maybe.. I put them in just below the bump strip things on the back bumper as you can see from the pics.

They work well, I've never heard the OEM beeps, but I would suspect the buzzer is harsher, its very loud in the car if you don't have the boot lit on, but otherwise its fine.. you want to be able to hear it above the radio too don't forget!

Feb 22, 2009
South Wales
Not sure exactly how far off the ground 50-60 cm maybe.. I put them in just below the bump strip things on the back bumper as you can see from the pics.

cheers I dont have the rub strip

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK

cheers I dont have the rub strip

The instructions will give a minimum and maximum distance from the ground, if its too low it will pick up the ground.. just the right height and it will pick up high kerbs :doh:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.