DIY hardwire dashcam installation

Datawolf

Jan 6, 2018
France
It's safe because I replaced a 20A fuse with two 10A fuses.
Anyway I only used the cig. lighter to plug the dashcam, so...

mat177n

Apr 24, 2016
somerset
hi all iv already got a front dash cam hardwired in. I'm going to replace it and get a new one that has front and back cams. my questions has anyone hardwired a rear cam in, where did they run the wire for the rear cam and where have they placed the cam on the rear windscreen?

BenWilliams21

Ben Williams
Aug 12, 2017
Hertfordshire
hi all iv already got a front dash cam hardwired in. I'm going to replace it and get a new one that has front and back cams. my questions has anyone hardwired a rear cam in, where did they run the wire for the rear cam and where have they placed the cam on the rear windscreen?
Most front and rear cam sets have 1 wire that links them, and is powered by the front camera so no power source is needed in the rear

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015

As Ben has said if the camera has a connecting rear camera then you just need to run a wire to the front camera, although not easy or neat.

I have a seperate rear camera mounted on the plastic trim at the top of the boot lid.

When I fitted a reverse camera I routed another add a fuse from the fuse box and fitted a 12v socket in the back as per the models that have one.

Note I find with tinted windows the rear cam footage is dark.

mat177n

Apr 24, 2016
somerset
As Ben has said if the camera has a connecting rear camera then you just need to run a wire to the front camera, although not easy or neat.

I have a seperate rear camera mounted on the plastic trim at the top of the boot lid.

When I fitted a reverse camera I routed another add a fuse from the fuse box and fitted a 12v socket in the back as per the models that have one.

Note I find with tinted windows the rear cam footage is dark.

Thanks for that was wondering where to put it because I know some cars have there DAB antennas in the rear window

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Thanks for that was wondering where to put it because I know some cars have there DAB antennas in the rear window

That's also a good point. I tried a Mobius in the back and it blocked signal almost completely DAB and FM (my antenna is at top of the rear screen)
My current rear camera, a Joovuu X blocks it in some areas and reverts to FM if available.

mat177n

Apr 24, 2016
somerset
That's also a good point. I tried a Mobius in the back and it blocked signal almost completely DAB and FM (my antenna is at top of the rear screen)
My current rear camera, a Joovuu X blocks it in some areas and reverts to FM if available.

Yer I was thinking about putting it at the bottom of the rear windscreen. Don't know if it will affect the DAB low.

BenWilliams21

Ben Williams
Aug 12, 2017
Hertfordshire
Fitted mine today. Biggest pain in the **** was tucking the cable away. Not helped by the -2 and not being able to feel my fingers ha
867e775318dca576e86a39b8a6f20af5.jpg

mat177n

Apr 24, 2016
somerset
Fitted mine today. Biggest pain in the **** was tucking the cable away. Not helped by the -2 and not being able to feel my fingers ha
867e775318dca576e86a39b8a6f20af5.jpg

Lol. I'm just waiting for my new fr then I'll get a new cam. Where did you put it on the rear windscreen and has it a affected your DAB reception?

BenWilliams21

Ben Williams
Aug 12, 2017
Hertfordshire
Mines on the front. Gonna see if I can fix my old one and put that in the rear.

I don't use DAB so not really an issue for me.

weasley

May 19, 2017
South Oxfordshire
I fitted a front one a few weeks back and it has seriously dented DAB reception. I gather this is because I ran the power cable up the passenger A pillar - I intend to try and find an alternative route, perhaps along the bottom of the windscreen and up the driver's pillar.

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
I fitted a front one a few weeks back and it has seriously dented DAB reception. I gather this is because I ran the power cable up the passenger A pillar - I intend to try and find an alternative route, perhaps along the bottom of the windscreen and up the driver's pillar.

weird, my DAB is still spot on and that is exactly where I ran my power cable.

Reactions: kazand

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
I have nearly no issues from two cameras in the front, which have the cables running up the passenger A pillar.

Just in really poor reception areas.

I did have more but changed the power supply to a two port tom tom usb, I found these cheap Chinese USBs caused big interference.

In the rear the one camera does cause more issues, in poor reception areas will take out FM too on occasion.

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
What sort of cable have you used? Are you able to swap out the power cable in case it's cheap cable? Like others, I have my power cable running down the a pillar with no adverse affect to dab reception.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.