Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest. If you're not subscribing to us on YouTube yet, you're missing out on car news and reviews. Subscribe to our channel to get notified when we post new videos.

DIY hardwire dashcam installation

Discussion in 'Mk3 Leon Guides (5F) 2012-2020' started by terryt, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Titchy

Titchy Active Member

Anyone had any experience with the below cams

Thinkware F770

Blackvue DR590W

Both are same price range i like the look of the blackvue however their hardwire kit seems difficult.

2. Maypack

Maypack Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage

I’ve got the BlackVue DR590W and I like it a lot. Very stealthy cam imo only given away by sticky mount on windscreen. Mine is connected and powered via the OBD port as it has a parking mode. On starting the engine, the camera actually tells you if there has been an impact whilst it has been parked up.

3. Keyzer Soze

Keyzer Soze Active Member

4. marty_34

marty_34 Active Member

i opted for a next base, got a 32gb memory card, great field of view the quality of the videos is first class, the other option is you can piggy back off the ignition as well as the cigarette lighter, some of the newer cars it throws up an error if you go through the ignition for the live feed. managed to get mine quite high up behind the mirror so it isn't obvious that it is there. had mine installed for a year now its already repaid money as it captured debris falling off a wagon that caused paint damage on my car. evidence presented to the 3rd party insurers, paid out no quibbles

stepdey and Walone like this.
  5. Keyzer Soze

Keyzer Soze Active Member

There is a bit of an issue, every time the car auto starts when pulling away, the camera feed appears in the rear view mirror, guess it needs a permanent supply, either that or I turn stop/start off

6. Persmash2

Persmash2 Active Member

Hi everyone,
    I've bought viofo a129 dual dashcam and its parking kit which I can use it to connect directly to my fuse box.
    You can check the cable from the link below.

https://www.banggood.com/A129-Car-Camera-3-Wire-ACC-HK3-Hardwire-Kit-for-Parking-Mode-p-1379471.html

My question is that I dont know which fuses should I use for the yellow and red cables. As far as I know yellow should be connected to one of the fuses which gets currect even the car is off and for the red one when we insert and round the keys halfly. Does anyone has a knowledge regarding to that? Sorry for my English.

Thanks in advance.

7. steedy27

steedy27 Active Member

Hello - Looking at getting the same dashcam - is the ODB port in the MK3 permanently live then so you can power the dashcam from it while parked?. You can get this version on the ODB power cable which also stops battery drain, is this the one you have?. https://www.blackvue.com/power-magic-ez

8. Maypack

The OBD port is live yes. I actually use this https://www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/dash-cam-accessories/blackvue-obd-power-pro-cable which works the same way as the item you linked to. It has battery protection and can be switched to allow recording when parked or just whilst the car is moving.

9. steedy27

steedy27 Active Member

10. bunziboy

bunziboy Active Member

Great help this thread. Just fitted a BlackVue DR650s-2CH.m to my Cupra ST. The rear camera was a pain, mainly due to the stiffness of the rubber seals and having to strip all the rear plastic. I fitted a Power magic pro power supply so had to fit a permanent live. I used a spare micro fuse. It’s important to get the polarity correct for the tap-in fuse adapter if you use an existing fuse.

Attached Files:

bgb likes this.
  11. bunziboy

bunziboy Active Member

Some more photos

Attached Files:

bgb likes this.
  12. zeffania

zeffania Active Member

Numpty last night. Left a big gap whilst following and they were beeped from the other side even after I let them out

13. bigup

bigup Active Member

Chaps, thanks to this thread I know what fuse to piggy back on. But which fuse shall I use on the free slot on the piggyback adapter? Or is that not needed? Camera is a ddpai

Thanks

14. zeffania

zeffania Active Member

The piggy back has 2. One for the camera, should already have a fuse in and the one you remove in place of the adaptor. The slot you are using still needs that fuse to work

bigup likes this.
  15. JCM27

JCM27 Active Member

What's the main difference between hardwiring and just plugging it into the USB port in the glove box? I currently use the USB plug which turns on when I unlock the car and off when locked.

16. Maypack

Some Dashcams record when the engine is off and the car is impacted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. JCM27

JCM27 Active Member

Thought as much, thanks!
    I had the dash running 24/7 on my old car and wanted it just for driving on this one so suits my needs just to use the USB socket.

18. bgb

bgb Active Member

On my quest for a Perm. Live, would the attached pic and fuse position/theory on moving up one notch be applicable and the 'done' thing? On a Skoda forum it seems to be correct for the Octavia VRS, and a MK7 GTI by looks of it.

My Thinkware F770 seems to have the necessary gubbings to know when to activate parking mode, and switch off if the battery volt level gets too low..
    [​IMG]

19. IL Cattivo

IL Cattivo Active Member

Hi All,

I decided to opt for a Vantrue N2 Pro dash cam (256GB Mem, 1080P HD Front & Rear cam)
    Getting it hardwired professionally on Wednesday so that I can benefit from the parking sensors it provides when the ignition is turned off.

Do dash cams with these parking sensors still kick in when it's raining, thus sensing that type of movement outside? Not overly worried as the hardware kit is supposed to monitor the battery level. Just wondered if anyone has experienced issues with weather like wind or rain with this function?

Cheers

20. Maypack

Wind and Rain do affect my Blackvue and cause it to record the movement but it doesn’t register the impact of rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk