DIY hardwire dashcam installation

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
Buy the stuff Terry has listed and a new USB cable which should solve the problem and hardwire it the same way.

You run the usb cable from the camera to the converter which is plugged into the fuse box.

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
Just been looking at getting some bits to hardwire and notice that on eBay you can get the step downs with dual USB ports, so potential to run two usb devices if needed from one hardwire. Worth doing this to future proof do you think?

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
So I have got / ordered:

Mini 0805 Dash Cam
6ft USB cable
32gb class 10 micro SD card
3amp fuse
Fuse tap
12v - 5v usb converter

Have I missed anything?

Last edited:

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
So I have got / ordered:

Mini 0805 Dash Cam
6ft USB cable
32gb class 10 micro SD card
3amp fuse
Fuse tap
12v - 5v usb converter

Have I missed anything?

That's what I make it too Chris, worth noting:

The usb cable is a USB to micro USB with a right angle

The eBay link to the USB stepdown is from China, so may take a while to arrive. Uk ones available but double that (is this the actual one terry got?)

Whilst reading up this avo, I'm sure I read somewhere that class was hit and miss for some reason and better to go for 6 or 4. I'll try and find where I read that...

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
I've ordered this USB cable which matches the part number on the Amazon link but means you don't have to spend £10 to get free postage

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=111428870614

I went ahead and ordered the converter from China as the camera won't be posted until 12th March if you order from Gear best anyway so it will arrive in time.

From that thread about the class of card, it seems that the instructions havnt been updated since the 0801 camera was released so in the 0805 class 10 is fine.

Mines on its way now so will just have to try it and see.

Last edited:

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
I got my parts from the eBay links posted and the cable from Amazon/Vebox (free delivery from them). I bought them a while back way before getting the dash cam so I was prepared once I decided on the camera. Chances are the parts will come at similar time frames to the camera from Gearbest. I'm using a 32gb Samsung EVO card and have had no issues yet, class 10 cards aren't that much more so no point risking getting a slower card.

The dual USB module should work fine, I saw them as well and they would be good if you plan to have a rear camera as well.

Last edited:

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
One other thing to be aware if you don't have a mini 0805 and get an angled USB cable is to get the correct angle. The Startech right angle USB with the mini 0805 means the cable goes straight up the windscreen. If you have a different cam the port might go in the other direction.

Last edited:

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
One other thing to be aware if you don't have a mini 0805 and get an angled USB cable is to get the correct angle. The Startech right angle USB with the mini 0805 means the cable goes straight up the windscreen. If you have a different cam the port might go in the other direction.

That's a good point Terry, I checked the 0805 USB position against the cable and it seems to be a right angled cable required, you can also get left angled cables which are oddly enough cheaper!

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
That's a good point Terry, I checked the 0805 USB position against the cable and it seems to be a right angled cable required, you can also get left angled cables which are oddly enough cheaper!
Can confirm as its what I'm using ;)

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
Bit of a miserable day but here a screen cap from the cam

dashcam12.JPG

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
Impressive quality for the size!!

Does yours have the km/h / mph bug or have you just not changed it over to MPH?
Not sure I really want the speed displayed.

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
Mine does have the kph bug :( hopefully firmware should fix that. I prefer not to have the speed displayed as well but it has to be on if you want to check the speed in Registrator Viewer othetwise it doesn't get logged with the gps data.

arizla

Dec 7, 2014
Bishop Auckland
Items I've ordered.
2X A118c/B40 DashCams (Ordered from GearBest).
2X Samsung 64gb Evo Micro SDXC Class 10 cards.
1X Fuse piggyback.
1X 12v to 5v Double usb converter.
1X 2m usb cable (Front camera).
I just need to measure up 1 more usb cable and figure the best route from fuss box to rear camera.
Any advice would be most welcome.

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Ya'll are over complicating this!
Just get a car hardwire kit from joovuu.com, think it's 10 quid, and wire the neg into the car and pos into the interior light. You can choose a type of USB connector (mini/micro) on the site to match your cam.

If you really want full stealth:
- Mobius dashcam with wide angle lens, 8inch lens extension and supercapacitor battery replacement.
Two screws pop open the mobius, pull out wire for battery, remove it, and replace with supercapacitor.
Then lift lever at end of lens ribbon, remove lens replace with wire from lens extension. Plug lens into end of lens extension.

Now you can hide the wiring kit, and mobius into your roof trim and just have the little lens poking out.

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
Mine does have the kph bug :( hopefully firmware should fix that. I prefer not to have the speed displayed as well but it has to be on if you want to check the speed in Registrator Viewer othetwise it doesn't get logged with the gps data.

Seems like if you enable the GPS co-ord stamp it fixes the khp/mph but found another issue, not with the camera but the car. In some lighting conditions the grille on top of the dashboard is reflected onto the windscreen and is bang in the middle of the shot:

dashcam13.JPG

Will have to use a CPL filter to fix that or re-aim the camera.