Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest. If you're not subscribing to us on YouTube yet, you're missing out on car news and reviews. Subscribe to our channel to get notified when we post new videos.

DIY hardwire dashcam installation

Discussion in 'Mk3 Leon Guides (5F) 2012-2020' started by terryt, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Peller

Peller 2018 Cupra 290 without the copper bits

I see what you mean @Maypack. One of those cameras is not far off my yearly insurance costs!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

paddy6789 likes this.
  2. Peller

Never had a any experience with dash cams etc, there goes my thought of a £100 easy fix from eBay

paddy6789 likes this.
  3. paddy6789

paddy6789 Mk3 Cupra R

I have the Blackvue DR900 which was a tad pricey but I wanted a 4K camera and the ability to connect it to my in car WiFi. It also spams me on my phone whenever a leaf blows past the windows. I mean, who doesn’t want to know about that?

There was a few thefts near to me, and after my previous Cupra was run into, I just wanted something to provide better security than my last setup.

I had a Koonlung K1S which looked and worked great, except for when I hardwired it in to work 24/7. It would overheat all the time. But when it was left to just power on and off with the car, it was awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Legojon and Peller like this.
  4. GeoffGeoff

GeoffGeoff Active Member

I have a nextbase and it’s been great so far. The newer higher end ones have some form of WiFi connect to your phone but I think this may only be to a live view and access recordings (I.e. not a notification function as I think you are after...but you may be able to log in on you phone to see if the car is there where is should be...not really what you’re after and sounds like a home CCTV may be better but worth looking in to?).

Peller likes this.
  5. GeoffGeoff

GeoffGeoff Active Member

Ahh looks like Paddy beat me to it with one that notifies you...was about to go investigate but just saved me some time, cheers.

paddy6789 and Peller like this.
  6. Peller

Thanks guys, I've been doing a bit of Google research and it does seem expensive to have the system Paddy has but it's very tempting.

So many scroats looking about our cars these days. My parking position is just unfortunately just out of sight for home CCTV.

I'm even thinking of a wee homebrew idea that involves the tearing down my useless RING doorbell thing!

7. Maypack

Maypack Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage

It may be costly but it can be transferred across cars when you change your car. You can also make it a little cheaper by buying a lexar sd card instead of the Blackvue sd card as certain lexar cards work (I have one fitted in my Blackvue Dashcam).

I’m looking to upgrade my system to a DR750 at least in the near future and transfer my DR590 (basic, no live view but it does have motion sending) to my wife’s car.

Well worth it in my opinion. You know it makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#387 Maypack, Feb 29, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    Peller likes this.
  8. Peller

As I'm just looking for an overnight solution maybe I should just plasti dip this baby(!) black to match the interior.

I'll need to lay of the ale soon or I'll put a Cupra Tribal logo on it before asking if it'll fit a Mk6 Formentor or standard fit in Egypt.

Seriously, It seems like a viable idea for my overnight worries. It has a re-chargeable battery and good range with it's own viewing screen!

I'm marvelling in my own magnificence![​IMG]

#388 Peller, Feb 29, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    Maypack likes this.
  9. Nick Hopkins

Great set of instructions, many thanks for the original posting. Just used them to hardwire in my 2017 leon FR.

My nextbase cam comes with a rear camera as well that plugs into the main unit. Can anyone suggest the best way to run the cable to the rear window? Preferably with it well hidden?

Many thanks.