DIY hardwire dashcam installation

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Not being a downer or anything but it looks like a chinesse knock off.

I might be wrong and only wish you get good out of your money

When I was young, every young person wanted Blaupunkt car hi fi as it was one of the best, made in Germany (since 1923) looks a lot better than the photo.

I work for one of the big 4 supermarket and we sell a lot of Blaupunkt elec goods have very few returned so I was happy to buy this make.

guari

Nov 17, 2014
Don't get me wrong, I know blaupunkt is great. There's just something that didn't click. Anyhow I'm sure I'm wrong and you'll get a good one!

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
The Blaupunkt TV's sold in supermarkets aren't made by them, the brand has been licensed and they're usually made in eastern Europe, not to say they aren't any good but they have no relation to the company that made the stereo's from the 80's. I'm guessing this cam is also Blaupunkt by name only.

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
The Blaupunkt TV's sold in supermarkets aren't made by them, the brand has been licensed and they're usually made in eastern Europe, not to say they aren't any good but they have no relation to the company that made the stereo's from the 80's. I'm guessing this cam is also Blaupunkt by name only.

Yes that may be it. still not lost much comes with 1 years warranty, and I got it from one of the 4 shops in Norwich.

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
when i was young, every young person wanted blaupunkt car hi fi as it was one of the best, made in germany (since 1923) looks a lot better than the photo.

I work for one of the big 4 supermarket and we sell a lot of blaupunkt elec goods have very few returned so i was happy to buy this make.

one word grap

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
The 0805 camera still isn't instock so I've asked them to cancel my back order and I've ordered the 0806 instead.

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
Got my dash cam yesterday. I wired the usb connector last week and I am using the cam with the cig lighter at the moment to make sure it works properly.

Any tips for getting the cable across the pillar? Could it be routed inside the pillar or is down the door seal the only option?

When you run the cable across the top of the pillar, wby does the pillar not stick out when it's fitted again?

guari

Nov 17, 2014
Got my dash cam yesterday. I wired the usb connector last week and I am using the cam with the cig lighter at the moment to make sure it works properly.

Any tips for getting the cable across the pillar? Could it be routed inside the pillar or is down the door seal the only option?

When you run the cable across the top of the pillar, wby does the pillar not stick out when it's fitted again?
I'd advise with taking the power from the fuse box and running the cables from there. The cig lighter option is a good temp solution but not really a good long term one.

My opinion, of course

If you are not handy (I'm not) pay a car electrician, it's a 25 min job.

Last edited:

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
I already have the USB converter wired into the fuse box. Done it myself with out any problems. As I got the camera yesterday I wanted to try it and make sure it works so its temporarily connected to the cig lighter.

I'm hoping to finish hard wiring it to the fuse box on Saturday, all I need to do is run the USB cable from the fuse box to the camera hense my questions about getting the cable in / through the pillar.

Last edited:

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
The cable is too thick to run across the top of the a pillar trim. The only way is to either have it visible or pull the trim off. With the trim off the cable will run inside the pillar to the door seal The pillar won't bulge out at all.

Edit: if you peel back the door seal you'll see that there's a gap between the edge of the a pillar and the car body, so when you push the cable into the seal you are running the cable in this gap down the pillar.

Last edited:

trebor

Dec 13, 2014
Worcester
Test fitted mine this evening, just need to complete the hard wiring .. but sods law it started raining so I had to just use the cig lighter plug to test things out.

For those Mac enthusiasts that don't have Windows, check out Dashcam Viewer by Earthshine Software

Free to test drive with up to 5 videos in a folder and a very reasonable $15 to purchase.

N77

Mar 29, 2015
Hi All,

Have just joined and was wondering if anyone has wired one of the cameras into the light console at the top of the windscreen.

I have a MINI 0801 that I took out of my previous car (Audi TT) that I had wired onto the light fitting, as this got power when you unlocked the car and was wondering if this was the same with the Seat Leon?

Thanks in advance

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
Welcome to the forum.

No idea about the light fitting. Terry's instructions are great and the USB cable he used is very thin so it's very easy to hide away. Wiring to the fuse box is probably as easy to do.

leemac

Jun 24, 2007
Bristol
I too ordered the 0805 from gearbest and fitted it all today.
When I plug the fuse into the permanent live on the board it works perfectly, however when
I move it down to the ignition live position I've got nothing
Any ideas?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I too ordered the 0805 from gearbest and fitted it all today.
When I plug the fuse into the permanent live on the board it works perfectly, however when
I move it down to the ignition live position I've got nothing
Any ideas?

I think some of those ignition live fuses need the engine running.

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
With the fuse in the lower position (controlled by ignition) you should get power as soon as the ignition is on (engine does not need to be running).

If it's not it could be a blown fuse or dodgy fuse tap or converter.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise