DIY hardwire dashcam installation

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
I just used a blunt screw driver and prized it off. Not idea but I didn't have trim removal tools. It pulls off from the front side and opens outwards like the door.

It takes patience getting the rubber seal back in place when your putting the panel back on but I used a small screw driver to flip the rubber seal on top of the plastic.

To get to the screw, just undo it about half way, poke the bare wire in and tighten the screw up. Give the wire a tug and it should be stuck in place.

strummer

Jan 30, 2008
I just used a blunt screw driver and prized it off. Not idea but I didn't have trim removal tools. It pulls off from the front side and opens outwards like the door.

It takes patience getting the rubber seal back in place when your putting the panel back on but I used a small screw driver to flip the rubber seal on top of the plastic.

To get to the screw, just undo it about half way, poke the bare wire in and tighten the screw up. Give the wire a tug and it should be stuck in place.

Worked a treat, cheers. Mobius now up and running! :) Will post pics of my install as soon as I get a chance.

Last edited:

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
0805 doesn't have parking mode. The g sensor is just to set set the level to auto protect a file.

Motion detect can be used when parked (needs permanent live) but should be turned off for normal recording.

So i could set up a permanent live for use when parked only when you wanted it as such, recording would be constant but would save changing settings. Food for though...

strummer

Jan 30, 2008
Worked a treat, cheers. Mobius now up and running! :) Will post pics of my install as soon as I get a chance.

As promised, photos of my new install. Mobius with lens extension and its battery replaced with a capacitor. I've mounted the lens on the back of the rearview mirror, only thing visible from within the car is the cable running between the lens and the unit but I plan on tidying that up anyway. I did try to get a photo of it from outside but it's nigh on impossible to get the right angle and lighting so that it is visible.

GpmzqlZ.jpg

GAwOaHm.jpg

RMpy0mS.jpg

Ks62rsq.jpg

Last edited:

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Nice strummer. Not easy to position the lens i bet but very hidden. Easy to stick on the mirror?

Last edited:

strummer

Jan 30, 2008
Nice strummer. Not easy to position the lens i bet but very hidden. Easy to stick on the mirror?

I just used a black self adhesive pad for the lens and the unit. I might need to get better ones for the unit though because it's stuck onto glass.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Well my 0805 is all in, pretty much as per Terrys. Went for a double USB 5v out converter incase i add a rear cam at a later date.

Now anyone with a mini 0803 etc, what software do you use? Having trouble showing a map, video plays ok.

Have tried the software that comes with it (Qtplayer) and also Registrator viewer - same issue.
Gps has a file along side and the later shows speed, just no map.

EDIT the Qtplayer says no internet connection - but i do!
The Reg viewer say Javascript no enabled? - but it's on PC and up to date!

EDIT: solved, was a PC issue!

Last edited:

GRECIANITE

Nov 1, 2014
I've just hard wired mine in, but now my DAB reception is probably only 50% of what it was before!!

Any ideas!? Thanks!

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
My DAB was dodgy yesterday, I switched my camera off but it didn't solve it. Wonder if the USB converter is causing it.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Mines still OK after a few weeks, I used the same converter as terry.

Last edited:

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
I've not used DAB that much recently but I've not noticed any issues with mine. The camera is probably still drawing power when switch off, you would need to disconnect the fuse.

GRECIANITE

Nov 1, 2014
The strange thing is that it was fine when it was not hard wired. What kind of DAB stuff is around the fuse box, or where the wire would have gone?

I'm rubbish, I don't even know where the DAB attenae is!

trebor

Dec 13, 2014
Worcester
My 0805 camera failed after 3 weeks - I noticed the speaker making some very odd noises one day as I got to work and turned off the ignition. It did that for 15 mins and was flashing the screen off and solid white, then after that was completely non-responsive.

Replacement unit sent by supplier and this worked for 2 days then today when I returned home after about 2 hours driving, I removed the SD card to review footage and found no videos just a load of log files. Took the unit off the screen to plug direct into ciggy socket as I can't view screen very well with it hidden by rear view mirror .. turns on (LED illuminates blue) but display stays black, no startup tone and no recording, just updates the log files.

Seems a different fault to the first one, so have I been very unlucky or are these of suspect quality? Do I look at a more expensive solution like the blackvue ?? Thing is I purchased a second gps mount etc and wired it into the Evo too, so changing to something else will be a pain.

Frustrated.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
The strange thing is that it was fine when it was not hard wired. What kind of DAB stuff is around the fuse box, or where the wire would have gone?

I'm rubbish, I don't even know where the DAB attenae is!

Assume the FM is the rear screen, DAB also?

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
My 0805 camera failed after 3 weeks

Seems a different fault to the first one, so have I been very unlucky or are these of suspect quality? Do I look at a more expensive solution like the blackvue ?? Thing is I purchased a second gps mount etc and wired it into the Evo too, so changing to something else will be a pain.

Frustrated.

Unlucky. So much crammed in a little case. Blackview is so much bigger. I also have a mobius, no issues so far.

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
Has anyone experience issues with the 0805 not recording, and sometimes not powering up? Mines been fine for the last 2 months or so, but recently it's stopped coming on with the ignition intermittently, or powers off (I believe) during a drive. I only noticed this when I saw gaps in recordings on my memory card and have been paying a bit more attention to it. Although it can be tricky to spot it not working due to the camera being behind the rear view mirror!

I am suspecting the USB step down may be at fault, as recently I had no power to the USB cable end when trying to charge my phone as a test when I noticed the camera wasn't on. How reliable are the step down's and has anyone else had a similar issue?

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
Any chance it might be a loose ground connection?

Actually quite possible, I'll double check that Terry first good point - It's all open to how well you capture the cable before re-tightening the screw (if we've all used the same place to earth). Will check when it stops peeing down!!

Last edited: