DIY Mk2 Vinyl Parts *Updated*

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
Got a hold of a 5m x 1.2m roll of Gloss Black Vinyl.
Plan is to do my roof and the front bumper.

Went out tonight to do part of my bumper. Heres some photos of what i have done:

DSC03595.jpg

DSC03596.jpg

DSC03598.jpg

DSC03601.jpg

DSC03603.jpg

DSC03605.jpg

DSC03607.jpg

Ended up doing my badge with the left over vinyl i had in the garage, i plan on getting the black surround grille, so this was only really a practise!

DSC03609.jpg

DSC03612.jpg

DSC03614.jpg

Last edited:

Moley RUFC

Up in the Lickeys........
Nov 20, 2006
Lickey,Worcs
Are you planning on doing the bottom bumper like the Cupra? How easy was it fit and fit? Is it self adhesive or apply with water and squeegee it out like normal vinyl?

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
Yeah, i do eventually plan to do the lower bit. Tonight i was just over eager and went out and rushed this to see how it would look.

The vinyl its self was really easy to work with doing this, but you really do need to be in a warm enviorment to control the vinyl best.

It is self adhesive. Comes in a roll, then you peel of the paper backing as you go along. I did order a felt squeegee with the vinyl, but i find it easier to just use my fingers.

I cleaned up the bumper, with fairy liquid, then wiped down with petrol to remove some sticky tab residue, then washed off with water, and dried.
The whole time i had a fan heater blowing towards the bumper to keep some heat.
I tried doing a spare mirror cover i have, and was very impressed with the result, but i did get one or two crease, at the largest of the curves.

I decided i will just spray my spare mirror covers gloss black instead.

As for the roof, i think it will generally be quite easy, albeit time consuming. Only thing worrying me about the roof is getting a good finish along the edges!
I also got a seal pen for sealing them.

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
I cut a rectangle oversized for the area, and trimed around the edges once i had applied the majority of the vinyl.

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
Done a few more parts.

Done the lower section of the front bumper now, along with the rear seat badge. I have also debadged the rear lettering. Oh and i did have the optional chrome strip on my car, so i also one this black, and i have to say i really like how it looks now!
Also, purchase the black mirror covers from Seremotors, and i painted the grille surround black.

DSC03757.jpg

DSC03772.jpg

DSC03770.jpg

Oh and the biggie, i tried to do my roof. What an absolute nightmare, but i got there in the end! Wasnt happy with the overall finish, so i ended up removing it. Will look into getting it painted in the future.

DSC03762.jpg

DSC03763.jpg

In this last pic ^^ you may see i tried out some black "LEON" lettering on the rear bootlid. It looked quite nice, but i decided against it!

Got some more photos i may upload later.

Last edited:

JMP

May 27, 2004
Nice work! Can you share tips on how you painted the front grill surround black? Im thinking about doing it also, after checking out some aerosol paints for plastic. What kind of paint you used and did you sand it & primed it? Is it gloss or matt black?

NickP

Apr 23, 2003
Colchester, Essex
Visit site
Nice work! Can you share tips on how you painted the front grill surround black? Im thinking about doing it also, after checking out some aerosol paints for plastic. What kind of paint you used and did you sand it & primed it? Is it gloss or matt black?

Why not just buy a black grille surround? -

They're only around £20 - £30 :)

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
I didnt do a very good job of my grille surround as i majorly rushed it and didnt give it a good gloss finish. I did sand down the chrome and then prime with 2 or three coats.
If you get the grille off of the car, you will see the chrome surrounds clips onto the grille. Just unclip and paint, saves any masking.

The grille cost £25. Im one for trying a DIY before forking out money :p! I had the paint and primer in the garage, so i went for it.

Cheers for the comments! Its extremely hard to work withat times!

P.s Mike, as you can see, ive had alot of inspiration from your car! Hope you dont mind! :)

Heres a photo of what it was like with the black vinyl "LEON" lettering:

DSC03759.jpg

Last edited:

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
Did a quick edit of the roof. When i get it done properly, this is how i want it to be done (And how i want my wheels too!)

Before:
DSC03763.jpg

After:
edit222.jpg

I like it alot more when it is continued over the hatch :D

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members