DIY short shifter

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
Since there is no short shifter available for the mk4 I am gona try to malk my own. Something along the lines of this.

Only problem is there dont look like there is enough meat on the bracket to move it safely (to where the red circle is)!!
20072008246-1.jpg

I'm gona have another look when I get time at work to see if there is any way to e-enforce it somehow.
On the pluss side, there is loads of room to do the side to side bracket.
20072008244.jpg

Last edited:

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
Looks interesting, good luck! What did you have to remove to get access to the linkages in the second pic? I need to take a look at mine.

Damoegan

Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
Kriso - You only need to take off the intake pipe to the airbox to get access, the black bit you can see on the right of the pic is the battery box. But I had the airbox off aswell as I was smoothing it. Its a lot easyer with the airbox off though.

ross p - I have searched, only thing I could finde was the one for the leon thats in the first post. Have you seen one for the mk4?

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
you have got the adjustable type clips so should all be good

have you dry tested the angles ? to see if its worth doing ?

ross p

Back at last....
Jul 13, 2007
Glasgow
www.firstrespondernm.co.uk
Kriso - You only need to take off the intake pipe to the airbox to get access, the black bit you can see on the right of the pic is the battery box. But I had the airbox off aswell as I was smoothing it. Its a lot easyer with the airbox off though.

ross p - I have searched, only thing I could finde was the one for the leon thats in the first post. Have you seen one for the mk4?

the one for the leon fits the mk4

i got my dad to make it at his work and it fitted right on:) big difference!

Damoegan

Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
the one for the leon fits the mk4

i got my dad to make it at his work and it fitted right on:) big difference!

The one for the leon does NOT fit the mk4 20VT gearbox as the cables have a diferent type of connection on the end. The leon ones have a pin with a little circlip type of clip that keeps the shifter cable onto the pin and the 20VT is a ball & socket type.

LEON
2000265730723734821_rs.jpg

mk4 IBIZA
20072008245.jpg

you have got the adjustable type clips so should all be good

have you dry tested the angles ? to see if its worth doing ?

No, not yet mate. But I will once I get the time to have a proper look when I have more time.

Am I right in thinking that its only the diesel ibiza's that you can't get a short shifter for?

I'm not sure if you can get them for the diesels but you deffo cant get them for the petrol ones.

Last edited:

drewbar

There was a short shift advertised in Golf+ magazine for the 6 speed boxes distributed by regal autosport, I cant find it on their website but if anyone is after one rather than DIYing one it might be worth a call. I think the quote rrp was £110 though.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members