Do i go 6 speed

phil_m

Nov 30, 2005
Suffolk
Hi Guys not posted much on here but need some advice.

I am wanting to get lsd fitted but cant make my mind up if i should go 6 speed or not, i have a agu golf running around 350hp and have heard that the 5 speed box is not that strong, so do i change and get the 6 speed lsd or stick with the 5 speed.

Cheers

Phil

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
6spd VAG box? 02M type?
big.. and might get in the way of your VF34 intake/actuator perhaps..

heavy.

bigger clutch tho.
had one in my mk4 golf.. liked it.

02J is fragile in my experience when pushing >350 tq

phil_m

Nov 30, 2005
Suffolk
The 6 speed LCr box will fit, i think its the TT ones that there are space issues when fitting.

The thing is i dont want to go splashing out on 5 speed lsd if the box is not gonna last.:think:

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
some triple shaft boxes are failing... which I am guessing is doen to lubrication getting to the bearings in the furthest shaft.
its also a blummin heavy box..... Really heavy!

Ibiza sport man

Dec 13, 2003
Kettering
Visit site
ibizacupra said:
some triple shaft boxes are failing... which I am guessing is doen to lubrication getting to the bearings in the furthest shaft.
its also a blummin heavy box..... Really heavy!

It's big, but not as heavy as you might think. The magnesium alloy case helps. It's 8.5 kg heavier than an 02J.

Bernard

caney

Apr 24, 2005
as bill says it's a bloody tight! it will fit though as i have a ihi on my tt. they are bloody heavy though as i have a spare in my garage which i lifted out of my van into my garage:cry: 2 days off work with backache:censored:

EddyH

Aug 9, 2002
Pontefract
Visit site
I'm also in a similar predicament. I'm about to give my Octavia 4x4 a big power increase. It's currently running the standard short ratio 5spd box with a helix clutch. It's been handling my current 280ftlb's of torque without incident but I'm a little worried how it will cope with significantly more. Options seem to be a TT box which is a difficult install AFAIK will be quite expensive and I also believe it'll mean losing my helix clutch. Another suggestion has been to replace the rivets in the standard diff with bolts to strengthen it. I also assume I have the option of fitting an LSD which whilst undoubtedly strengthening the diff will I see any other benefit given my car is 4wd? It's also been suggested to me that I consider fitting the internals from a longer geared 5spd 1.8T such as a Golf or Octavia vRS as it's suggested that the short ratios in the 4x4 aren't particular suited to BT applications.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

caney

Apr 24, 2005
EddyH said:
I'm also in a similar predicament. I'm about to give my Octavia 4x4 a big power increase. It's currently running the standard short ratio 5spd box with a helix clutch. It's been handling my current 280ftlb's of torque without incident but I'm a little worried how it will cope with significantly more. Options seem to be a TT box which is a difficult install AFAIK will be quite expensive and I also believe it'll mean losing my helix clutch. Another suggestion has been to replace the rivets in the standard diff with bolts to strengthen it. I also assume I have the option of fitting an LSD which whilst undoubtedly strengthening the diff will I see any other benefit given my car is 4wd? It's also been suggested to me that I consider fitting the internals from a longer geared 5spd 1.8T such as a Golf or Octavia vRS as it's suggested that the short ratios in the 4x4 aren't particular suited to BT applications.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.
hi eddie i had my 6 speed strengthened maybe drop them an email to see if it's available for a 5 speed?http://www.hpamotorsports.com/product_drivetrain_gears.htm

Dec 9, 2002
CARDIFF
Visit site
silver surfer said:
6 speed is heavy but you also need clutch ,flywheel,drive shafts and gear linkage
even second hand its not cheep:help:
You shouldn't need a 6 spd shifter or driveshafts,i didn't when i switched from 5 to 6spd ,but you will also need a starter motor for the 6 spd due to different flywheel etc.I only paid £350 for a 6spd box ,flywheel,clutch(which was like new),starter motor.:cheers: Andy

Last edited:

EddyH

Aug 9, 2002
Pontefract
Visit site
ANDY BLUNT said:
You shouldn't need a 6 spd shifter or driveshafts,i didn't when i switched from 5 to 6spd ,but you will also need a starter motor for the 6 spd due to different flywheel etc.I only paid £350 for a 6spd box ,flywheel,clutch(which was like new),starter motor.:cheers: Andy

Thanks, that's good to know. What car did your 6 speed box come from? TT, S3 or something else?

Dec 9, 2002
CARDIFF
Visit site
EddyH said:
Thanks, that's good to know. What car did your 6 speed box come from? TT, S3 or something else?
Eddy,It came from a A3 quattro 6spd facelift ,i bought it from an ebay auction.If you some more info about the box swap ring Jock at Westec he did the work for me.:cheers: Andy

phil_m

Nov 30, 2005
Suffolk
Thanks for the input.

I am liking the sounds of keeping the 5 speed box and getting it strengthened, does anyone know of any company's in the UK that can do this and roughly what sort of costs are involved.

Cheers

Phil

EddyH

Aug 9, 2002
Pontefract
Visit site
Just an update to say I've given the go ahead to have a 6spd box (along with driveshafts atc..) with a Spec Stage 3+ clutch and flywheel fitted. This won't be happening for a few weeks as that's when my engine will be going back in.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
phil_m said:
Thanks for the input.

I am liking the sounds of keeping the 5 speed box and getting it strengthened, does anyone know of any company's in the UK that can do this and roughly what sort of costs are involved.

Cheers

Phil

Frozen Solid do cryo treatment on gears and components which is something I may evaluate on my next box

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members