Does anyone have a Freetrack?

alnsaz

Dec 7, 2005
West of Scotland
Just wondered because I've yet to see another on the road and don't see any posts from other owners?

I've had mine 9 months after chopping in the Leon FRTDi for the bigger car and have no complaints

Still has the 170hp diesel and handles well for a big beast - plenty space for the wife and 2 under 3's too. Looks good in Track Grey and turns a few heads

Cheers
Al

syrup1971

Hi,

I'm a new member. I just picked up my Freetrack yesterday, from Sytner in Huddersfield.

Drove it back today, chuffed so far, seems to be a great blend of MPV/SUV/Sports car.

I got it in White, I like the way it looks, contrasting strongly with the bumpers.

alnsaz

Dec 7, 2005
West of Scotland
Glad I'm not alone!

Funnily enough just after posting I passed a silver 08 plate freetrack on Busby Road in Glasgow - anyone on here I wonder?

Syrup hope you enjoy the new car - I saw a couple in white at a Greek Seat dealer in Crete, looked good. Let me know how your ownership goes mate!

syrup1971

Well I'm happy so far. trip computer is reporting around 43 mpg, heated seat keepimg bum warm, good performance ...

MajorPickles

Hi,

I am a new member and bought a 08 freetrack in Dec which is my first Seat.

Really happy with it's performance, space and equipment and needed the extra ground clearance for work.

just wondering f anyone knows where i can get the optional steel sump/engine protector that seems to get mentioned in every review?, asked local dealers in herts and Beds but they can't find it.

A part number would be good.

Cheers

MajorPickles

Many thanks alnsaz,

Found the part number just after i posted the thread, strange that i had been searching for it for months then it just appeared (must have been just added!!!)

i will try the Irish route as have been told by Seat in cambridge that the part is not yet UK type approved?? so can't be ordered here and i thought we were all europeans!

Cheers

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Hi,

I'm a new member. I just picked up my Freetrack yesterday, from Sytner in Huddersfield.

Drove it back today, chuffed so far, seems to be a great blend of MPV/SUV/Sports car.

I got it in White, I like the way it looks, contrasting strongly with the bumpers.

got any pics? are considering one in white presently

darrellr

Apr 2, 2006
monmouth
I wish fervently that I'd bought the Freetrack. I got the 'normal' XL instead which has now got stuck three times at two different stables. It is so light on the front and, in hindsight, we need greater ground clearance. A freetrack, whilst not a full 4x4 drive, would have been a much better bet.

I approached two dealers who had ex-dem Freetracks regarding swapping but the cost to change was always set too high.

I'm now looking to sell my XL and buy a 'proper' 4x4 from a different marque.

syrup1971

got any pics? are considering one in white presently

I have uploaded some to

www "dot" photos "dot" longstaffs "dot" net "/" SeatAlteaFreetrack4 "/"

Don't seem to be allowed to link, because I haven't had enough posts.

Don't see too many around, but I still like the colour.

Does show the dirt up though!

Hope the pics help.

Chris

syrup1971

Very Happy so far.

Consumption seems fixed just over 40mpg (according to the trip). Mostly motorway journeys, though I don't have an especially light right foot away from the lights !

Seats are comfy, engine is great. Audio system is adequate (better than most, but not as good as I'd like).

Used, I think it is amazing value. If you were paying new prices, there is quite a wide choice at that price point, but as a used £11-12K car, for a 1year -18 months old car, it is terrific value. I don't understand, why the skoda Octavia Scout is so much more. Seems to start out a couple of grand cheaper than the freetrack, but used it is 2-3K more.

Anyhow, recommended so far.

Chris

morepower

Mar 12, 2009
We just bought on today! Tack Grey and on a 57 plate with 9000 miles on the clock. It is to replace our old Renault Scenic RX4. It seems we have a thing for querky cars and it seems Freetrack is the car Renault should have made. I only had a brief test drive but it was long enough to know the car has more than enough punch with good sharp brakes and drives more like a sports hatchback than a 4x4.
The spec is stunning and so much more car than we had expected to get. We would have been looking at a 60,000 Mile BMW 3 Series for our budget and picked up this stunning car for £11,000 with a new dealer fit tow bar! It seems for the spec we have just bought the car has lost almost £10,000 in less than 18 months! All I really know is we are really happy and know it is a bit of a Marmite car but I really do like the look of it.

So hello from a newbie and hopefully I will post more as I have already planned to fit a chip as we had one on our old Renault and got about 10MPG more after it was chipped so if we can gain a bit more economy we will be really happy.

MajorPickles

Welcome

Glad you like the Freetrack, I've had mine for nearly 4 months now and no complaints.

When it comes to remaps, chipping etc check out the Mk2 Leon section as there seems to be some worries around the DPF which can cause problems (I take it you have the TDi?).

I get around 40mpg on a motorway runs so not as economical as a Leon, but no wheel spin either so you save on tyres.

Also there seems to be alot more settings on the computer to change than other Alteas so worth a look.

Enjoy:D

morepower

Mar 12, 2009
Welcome

Glad you like the Freetrack, I've had mine for nearly 4 months now and no complaints.

When it comes to remaps, chipping etc check out the Mk2 Leon section as there seems to be some worries around the DPF which can cause problems (I take it you have the TDi?).

I get around 40mpg on a motorway runs so not as economical as a Leon, but no wheel spin either so you save on tyres.

Also there seems to be alot more settings on the computer to change than other Alteas so worth a look.

Enjoy:D

Thanks,
The Renault RX4 was not great where economy was concerned as it did about 30-33MPG as an average. But it was a bit underpowered and at 105BHP it was a lot of car to drag round. After fitting the chip it went up to low 40's so the chip is more for improved economy than getting away from the lights.

I hope to get to grips with the car at the end of the week once they sort out the car for us as they are fitting the tow bar and electrics before we pick up the car. So next week I will be glued to the manuals so when my wife gets back of her hols I can makes sure she knows how it all works.

Thanks for the welcome. Just hope it is as reliable is the Renault was...In 8 years we only had a few problems and luckily none of them were too serious.

RockyFreetrack

Just bought ours and love it, absolutely awesome! A great value used car!

Anyone know how you get the rear aux to work through the stereo speakers?

Last edited by a moderator:

alnsaz

Dec 7, 2005
West of Scotland
Welcome Rocky & Morepower!

Nice to see these vastly underated cars are now being noticed - although I quite liked being unique!

Rocky it depends what you're plugging in - I've a normal dvd player (powered via an inverter from the 12v socket) which is attached to the rear with the red, yellow & white 'phono' cables. Comes through the speakers well and the tv screen is excellent. You can buy infra red headphones so those in the back can watch/listen to a film while the cd/mp3 still comes through the speaker

Anyway hope you enjoy - I've just given mine it's first wash for over a month and it looks good sitting on the drive. Marmite car is a good description...lucky I love marmite!

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
Just wondered because I've yet to see another on the road and don't see any posts from other owners?

I've had mine 9 months after chopping in the Leon FRTDi for the bigger car and have no complaints

Still has the 170hp diesel and handles well for a big beast - plenty space for the wife and 2 under 3's too. Looks good in Track Grey and turns a few heads

Cheers
Al

I think I have seen you a few times on the Ayr Road in Newton Mearns. Could that be you?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.