Does anyone have a Freetrack?

cadman2k

Jul 15, 2003
Visit site
headlamp washers

The oval pieces are in the bumpers, are they supposed to come out then go back in? Fuse 52 is yellow in the car , 20A. I have checked and replaced that one, Fuse 50 2 along is Blue , but the manual states something different?
I have tested with the sidelights, headlamps, and full beam on and nothing!!!
Is there a simple way to get at the headlamp washer behind the Oval piece?

MrGringo

Hi All, thanks for your advice. I'm sure you'll all be pleased to know that we went to see one at the weekend and have put a deposit on it so should be collecting it next week some time. I will however miss my Golf GTi a lot but needs must...

I'm sure I'll be back on here soon, thanks again.
Matt

Hampton Caught

No It's These Trousers
Dec 8, 2009
Near Hampton Court
Hi All, thanks for your advice. I'm sure you'll all be pleased to know that we went to see one at the weekend and have put a deposit on it so should be collecting it next week some time. I will however miss my Golf GTi a lot but needs must...

I'm sure I'll be back on here soon, thanks again.
Matt

Come on, Matt. Tell us about your car!! What colour, age, mileage etc? How/ when did SWMBO change her mind? ;) Cheers, Steve

cadman2k

Jul 15, 2003
Visit site
Another Question Do Freetracks as standard have the adjustable height wheel on the dashboard for headlights? (near to the dash dimming wheel). The manual states that if the wheel is not there then the car is fitted with Gas (xenon lights). Can an owner confirm that.
Thanks

MrGringo

Come on, Matt. Tell us about your car!! What colour, age, mileage etc? How/ when did SWMBO change her mind? ;) Cheers, Steve

Oooh the suspense....

it's an '09 TDI with 30k in black. OH doesn't really like the interior but we have both agreed it does everything else we want / need in a family car and things can be changed a little inside. Planning to wrap or replace browny dash bits with silver altea bits for her which I don't think will be much trouble. Also I'm quite keen to try and find out if I can get a facelift climate control buttons to work, coupled with a RNS-510-a-like head unit. Left an offer on the table with the dealer who came back the next day after we'd thought we'd left it so that's good :D

Reason we started looking at the moment is because I saw one up north with body-coloured bumpers and fancied that, but it sold at the weekend... (anyone on here?). This one is newer and similar mileage so I'm happy but thinking of getting the bumpers sprayed. It doesn't look too bad black/black so it depends on the quotes I get but I think it will top it off.

ritch_b

Jul 27, 2012
Oop north
Another Question Do Freetracks as standard have the adjustable height wheel on the dashboard for headlights? (near to the dash dimming wheel). The manual states that if the wheel is not there then the car is fitted with Gas (xenon lights). Can an owner confirm that.
Thanks

Mine has the height adjustment for the headlights, but they're certainly not xenon! As far as I'm aware, all UK Freetracks, irrespective of headlight type, have the headlight height adjustment control.

R.

ritch_b

Jul 27, 2012
Oop north
... keen to try and find out if I can get a facelift climate control buttons to work...

Weirdly, I'd been thinking about this earlier today. I really, really, really don't like the heater controls on mine; they're the awful up/down buttons and it takes ages to adjust the temperature if you're going from one extreme to another.

The dial-based version in the newer Altea XL is much better, but I wasn't sure if it would be an option to swap it; there's the matter of it being a different colour too. Still, I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has done a swap and whether it worked out of the box or not!

PHILMEWAGON

Long member
Apr 4, 2013
Boro
New Freetrack owner checking in!

2008, 39k, 2.0 TDi in Black.

drove 160 miles to make it mine - there seems to be a big conflict between what guides such as Glass feel the car is worth and what dealers feel the car is worth. If you check most of the ones on sale in the UK at the minute are out by a pretty big margain.

Anyway this one was more or less on the guide price so i had it.

test drove it, got forced back into seat under acceleration, bought it!

cadman2k

Jul 15, 2003
Visit site
New Freetrack owner checking in!

2008, 39k, 2.0 TDi in Black.

drove 160 miles to make it mine - there seems to be a big conflict between what guides such as Glass feel the car is worth and what dealers feel the car is worth. If you check most of the ones on sale in the UK at the minute are out by a pretty big margain.

Anyway this one was more or less on the guide price so i had it.

test drove it, got forced back into seat under acceleration, bought it!

Welcome....
You would probably find the same trying to part exchange one.....
My view is that they are limited in numbers and in demand to a limited number of enthusiastic buyers. Places like Autotrader have about 10 available at any one time, compare that to a Audi A3 or a Golf :) I was on the lookout for one for a year till one came on the radar that i snapped up. I think I paid about 1K over the market value but the history/mileage was the clincher (came direct from SEAT UK)
I would guess a 2008 with 39K can go for anything up to 9-10K from a dealer, so if you were under that you did ok, you can pick up a 100K + Mileage one for a anything for about 6K.

Did you buy it from a dealer, is it standard? does it have any extras?

Markyar

Welcome....
You would probably find the same trying to part exchange one.....
My view is that they are limited in numbers and in demand to a limited number of enthusiastic buyers. Places like Autotrader have about 10 available at any one time, compare that to a Audi A3 or a Golf :) I was on the lookout for one for a year till one came on the radar that i snapped up. I think I paid about 1K over the market value but the history/mileage was the clincher (came direct from SEAT UK)
I would guess a 2008 with 39K can go for anything up to 9-10K from a dealer, so if you were under that you did ok, you can pick up a 100K + Mileage one for a anything for about 6K.

Did you buy it from a dealer, is it standard? does it have any extras?

Yes...agree with that Cadman - it really is a difficult vehicle to price. There still isn't anything which comes close (in the price bracket) to it in terms of performance, 4x4 capability, space, and standard equipment...not by a long way!

I'm in the unfortunate position of having to sell mine in the next couple of months, I've got a Caddy van for work and the Freetrack - I need a bigger van and just can't justify keeping a car and van...so regrettably she has to go, as I have a new VW Transporter on order which is being delivered in a few months time.

It's probably one of the lowest mileage Freetracks around I would guess with just 24,000on the clock. It's April 08, bought it from Spur Garage, Hampton Court, when it was a year old at 8.5k miles...it was the promo car for Joe Worsley (the England international rugby player). So I've only put 15k on it in 4 years - mostly on the motorway to western France, I'll really be sorry to see her go...but needs must I suppose.:cry:

PHILMEWAGON...just a thought - but I suppose that the new car has had the injectors and loom replaced under the Seat recall?

All the best
Markyar

cadman2k

Jul 15, 2003
Visit site
Yes...agree with that Cadman - it really is a difficult vehicle to price. There still isn't anything which comes close (in the price bracket) to it in terms of performance, 4x4 capability, space, and standard equipment...not by a long way!

I'm in the unfortunate position of having to sell mine in the next couple of months, I've got a Caddy van for work and the Freetrack - I need a bigger van and just can't justify keeping a car and van...so regrettably she has to go, as I have a new VW Transporter on order which is being delivered in a few months time.

It's probably one of the lowest mileage Freetracks around I would guess with just 24,000on the clock. It's April 08, bought it from Spur Garage, Hampton Court, when it was a year old at 8.5k miles...it was the promo car for Joe Worsley (the England international rugby player). So I've only put 15k on it in 4 years - mostly on the motorway to western France, I'll really be sorry to see her go...but needs must I suppose.:cry:

PHILMEWAGON...just a thought - but I suppose that the new car has had the injectors and loom replaced under the Seat recall?

All the best
Markyar

Markyar, it will be interesting to see how much you get for it when you sell it, I think the freetrack best months to sell will be oct-feb when the 2nd hand 4x4 market prices are always higher with the winter months.... At 24K i bet yours is one of the lowest...
Ypou should get top 2nd hand money for that.

I had been looking for low mileage example for a year., I know I paid over the odds for it but found it October last year - mileage...was 4K when I got :) like New....now has about 8K on the clock.......... should do ok on it if I ever come to sell it...:)

PHILMEWAGON

Long member
Apr 4, 2013
Boro
hey!

just got back from picking car up thought id hang on til now to get back to u :blink:

The car is just a vanilla model - it doesnt look like the original owner bothered. Having said that aftermarket options are getting better and cheaper by the day so if it doesnt have BT on it now it will soon!
Did indeed get it from a Dealer not private.

The car has a full service history which doesnt show whether it made the recalls or not: using VOSA dot Gov and searching 2005 onwards there are a few, call SEAT?

Phil

edit: You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more.

Last edited:

cadman2k

Jul 15, 2003
Visit site
hey!

just got back from picking car up thought id hang on til now to get back to u :blink:

The car is just a vanilla model - it doesnt look like the original owner bothered. Having said that aftermarket options are getting better and cheaper by the day so if it doesnt have BT on it now it will soon!
Did indeed get it from a Dealer not private.

The car has a full service history which doesnt show whether it made the recalls or not: using VOSA dot Gov and searching 2005 onwards there are a few, call SEAT?

Phil

edit: You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more.

For the likes of injector replacement/wiring loom replacements under the 'campaign' give either your local seat service department a call or the suppling dealer. you will need to give them your VIN, they can check on the database to see if these jobs have been done under previous ownership

PHILMEWAGON

Long member
Apr 4, 2013
Boro
hey,

has anyone had to access the 3 inputs in the back (aux)? I never bought the car for the ICE but on checking today the 3 inputs are not properly secured (work fine) and they wobble around like they arent properly secured.

if you had to get at them did you find you could just pop the small oval cover in front of them off or did it require some dis-assembly of the middle console?

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
Hi Major Pickles, Is it possible for me to get a copy of the fitting instructions for the Freetrack towbar kit? and does anybody know what the part numbers are for the wiring loom and detachable towbar or what make to get and where from because my Seat Agent say's they do not stock or fit Freetrack towbars so it looks as though I am on my own. aggie

ritch_b

Jul 27, 2012
Oop north
part numbers for the wiring loom and detachable towbar

I failed to get the dedicated wiring loom from Seat, despite much effort from David at Sere Motors; the range of wiring listed was confusing as hell and each enquiry about each kit to Seat was met with a reply of non-availability. That put me off getting the towbar from them too. The service from Sere was cracking, as always, I should add; it was Seat UK who weren't much cop in this case.

In the end, I went for the Westfalia detachable; it's a standard fit for the Altea XL and FreeTrack. It's this one here. Fitting time was most certainly not the 60 minutes Westfalia reckon; it took that long to get the light clusters out and drop the rear bumper!

I went for the dedicated wiring loom on the premise that it'd plug directly into the port that's next to the rear-offside light cluster. That didn't quite work though and it ended up having to be extended and run to the front of the car for wiring into the CANBUS, which added a bit more work to things. A minor update is needed with VCDS to let the brain know the towbar is there; it knocks off the reversing sensors when connected to a trailer and also, I gather, activates some kind of stability control program. Bear in mind that I'm used to an 18 year old Audi, so all this stuff is like witchcraft to me.

Only other thing is that there's a cover available to, erm, cover the bumper cut out that's required for the towbar. Mine came from Sere and was about fifteen quid, if memory serves, delivered to my door.

Not sure if that helps any or muddies the waters!

R.

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
Many thanks Rich B. Now I know that the Westfalia Detachable Tow Bar 344 048 Fits the Freetrack I am buying a new one off ebay for £200. The wiring loom is another matter as my Freetrack is LHD I have still got to suss this out. I am going to contact Seat Spain and see if they will send one out to me. I don't want to run a wire to the from of the car if I can help it. Thanks again you have been a big help. aggie

ritch_b

Jul 27, 2012
Oop north
I'd forgotten yours was a left-hooker Aggie! My initial thoughts would be that the wiring will be the same, but if you can get the wiring loom that connects directly to the pre-wired connector, that would make life much easier! Hope you get it all sorted!

Markyar

Freetrack for Sale

Well, as I've posted before, the time has come for me to sell my Freetrack...it's just that I have a Transporter Kombi on order and can't justify keeping my Freetrack and Caddy van, so they have both got to go to make room for the Transporter.
I'm really going to be sorry to part with the Freetrack, I've enjoyed the experience greatly.

So if anyone is in the market for a Freetrack, then check it out - this website lists all the images, history, spec etc. alteafreetrack.weebly.com
The Autotrader add has just gone live...so I'm bracing myself for the Canvassers cold calls!!!

All the best guys.
Markyar :cry:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.