Does power coating alloys weaken them?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
So... I've done the Google... and of course, its always possible to find someone who's wheels have cracked just days after having them powder coated. Plus, I read some wheel manufacturers recommend you don't because it weakens them.

I realise there's going to be loads of people that have done it. So just wondering if I'm worrying for nothing? Also, is there anything I should watch out for? Eg, do they all use acid baths or is there a safer way to strip them?

I've found a place that will do it in a day locally for £240 a set. BUT... they don't rebalance afterwards. Is that a problem?

Oh... and does it make them more difficult to clean? I know that sounds weird but at the moment they are effortless to clean. Does the powder coating change the smooth texture?

Last edited:

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
I wouldn't have thought so as it's a coating. It's a cosmetic change that's put on top of a physical structure that's forged (if it's OEM or big named aftermarket wheel). But what do I know. Having said that, I had a set powder coated and one of them buckled, but they weren't OEM, they were replica wheels.

I'm thinking it was a coincidence as they were old.

Last edited:

t121anf

May 14, 2004
Powder coating won't change the surface, blasting them prior to doing so might.

Like painting it's depends how good your coater is.