Does the Cupra dash rattle? (soundaktor)

Jan 11, 2020
Hi,

I had a Golf GTI but returned it to the lease company after 3 months of the dealer being unable to fix a rattling dashboard. On the Golf this is very common and is made much worse with the sound actuator thingy. Basically the dash would rattle, but with the car in 'sport' mode it rattled and vibrated like hell due to this setting increasing the fake sound volume.

Does the Cupra suffer from the same problem as the Golf?

Thanks
Harry

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
My brothers golf R did the same, its not a problem with the cupra as far as I'm aware, at least I've not seen much of it on here plus I never had it on my 290, although most people unplug it or turn it down as it sounds terrible

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
I didn't have a dash rattle on my '17 GTI but instead it developed a nasty door car rattle. Even dropped it of at the dealer for a full day for a fix but of course they couldn't hear it.

My Cupra has been completely rattle free so far, only had it 5 weeks though.

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
I didn't have a dash rattle on my '17 GTI but instead it developed a nasty door car rattle. Even dropped it of at the dealer for a full day for a fix but of course they couldn't hear it.

My Cupra has been completely rattle free so far, only had it 5 weeks though.
Haha don't get to excited it won't last, you'll find your door cards rattling in no time

JonnyG

Mar 18, 2019
I've not had any rattles with my Cupra so far - dash or door cards.

I'm surprised your Golf dealer couldn't fix the rattle on your GTi - it's a common problem as you say, and dealers have a fix for this. You can always adjust the soundaktor volume % down too with VCDS or OBDeleven.

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
I've recently got a 2015 Cupra, I've not put many miles on it but had some on/off rattles so far.

The plastic that surrounds the instrument cluster rattles sometimes and the front and rear passenger door rattles. Not really looked into what is actually rattling but it doesn't do it all the time.

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Only rattles I get is from the door handles on the two front doors (yes that’s right, when I touch them the rattle/ vibration stops)

I did had an awful rattle which was driving me bonkers then realised it was the chewing gum pot In the centre console lol

Jan 11, 2020
Thanks for the replies.

The dealer had 6 attempts in total at fixing it on the Golf. They replaced all sorts including bits of trim. On one of the trips they turned the soundaktor down and I kicked off saying that is not a fix!

In the end they said they needed to remove the dash. At that point, I'd had enough so ejected it.

Total shame really as other than that it was an amazing car.

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
CUPRA R
Terrible dashboard rattle from new made worse by the sound aktuator in CUPRA mode

Dealer pulled the plug on it. TOTALLY SILENT now. Fantastic.
Lovely engine noise .

Reactions: Lmbarrett83

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
CUPRA R
Terrible dashboard rattle from new made worse by the sound aktuator in CUPRA mode

Dealer pulled the plug on it. TOTALLY SILENT now. Fantastic.
Lovely engine noise .

Even though its a fake noise I find you need to it be able to actually hear what the engine is doing without looking at the RPM. From inside the car the engine is pretty much silent.

It was the same with my MK2 and I ended up getting a non res Scorpion exhaust.

Jan 11, 2020
Even though its a fake noise I find you need to it be able to actually hear what the engine is doing without looking at the RPM. From inside the car the engine is pretty much silent.

It was the same with my MK2 and I ended up getting a non res Scorpion exhaust.

This is exactly what I found with the Golf. It was so quiet without the fake sound you basically could not even hear the engine.

Why VAG decided to use a device that essentially rattles the car is beyond me. Everybody else just uses the speakers and gets the same effect for less cost and none of these rattle issues.

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
Luck of the draw from what I worked out... my 64 plate 280 was silent for 3 years my 67 plate 300 is terrible, dash and doors rattle.

I don't think the soundaktor helps, but I think the dash rattles aswell in general for me.

Some seem to be better than others, I have resorted to turning the music up

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.