Does this sound normal for a start stop system when engine is turning on?

Olsun

May 10, 2019
Hey I was wondering if my Ibiza was making normal sound when start stop system turns on? My Ibiza has automatic transmission DSG7 with 1800kms on the meter. I'm the second owner of the car and I purchased it from a Seat authorized car dealer. Other than this my Ibiza runs and drives good with no issues.

Does your Ibiza make this sound?
//cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5d17ed516456c/MOV_0759.mp4

Skickat från min H8266 via Tapatalk

Dillon Lawrence

Jun 24, 2018
Mine definitely doesn't have the pronounced rattle yours has.

It's not exactly silent starting back up and there's a slight judder, but yours sounds much louder on the video.

Olsun

May 10, 2019
Mine definitely doesn't have the pronounced rattle yours has.

It's not exactly silent starting back up and there's a slight judder, but yours sounds much louder on the video.
Yeah it's very loud which i sometimes don't use at all. It should be silent. Mine sounds like a wrench being dropped inside a engine room making all these random scratch sounds

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Perhaps go to the dealer and 'test drive' another 1.0 TSI DSG, and see what you think....although I'm inclined to say this is a little 'louder' and more 'juddery' than what I remembered, assuming your car was silent when you recorded, the mic still picked up a lot of background noises... I'm sure if you didn't compare with the another 1.0TSI DSG, the dealer would say this is a 'normal' 3 cyl engine 'quirk.' Assuming it was serviced since the first owner and you feed it decent petrol? I found that Esso Supreme 97 (in UK) gave my 1.0TSI the smoothest engine, both when accelerating and idling.

Olsun

May 10, 2019
Perhaps go to the dealer and 'test drive' another 1.0 TSI DSG, and see what you think....although I'm inclined to say this is a little 'louder' and more 'juddery' than what I remembered, assuming your car was silent when you recorded, the mic still picked up a lot of background noises... I'm sure if you didn't compare with the another 1.0TSI DSG, the dealer would say this is a 'normal' 3 cyl engine 'quirk.' Assuming it was serviced since the first owner and you feed it decent petrol? I found that Esso Supreme 97 (in UK) gave my 1.0TSI the smoothest engine, both when accelerating and idling.
I never thought bout that. The car was serviced accordingly to the dealer. I will call my Seat dealership and ask them bout it. It might be dsg thing

MalteseSeat

Aug 1, 2018
Mine makes the same noise. Do you ever get a clunk when you swap from Park to Drive and start moving? As if one of the brakes didn't unlock?

Olsun

May 10, 2019
Mine makes the same noise. Do you ever get a clunk when you swap from Park to Drive and start moving? As if one of the brakes didn't unlock?
I think that's the auto brake system when going of steep hills. So your car doesn't roll down. Mine does the same. But the car is cheaply built so you can hear the gears switching

Olsun

May 10, 2019
Got back from the Seat dealer today. The mechanic guy tested my car for a ride and listened to the engine. Without doing a obd scan just by the sound he wasn't sure 100% if it's wrong or right. But he insisted for me to drop by when im free with the car so he can check it out with a scanner.

Im happy this seat dealer was very helpful. If your DSG7 seat makes this sound please go check it out.

Olsun

May 10, 2019
Any updates @Olsun ?
Oh yeah but nothing has been done yet to the car. That's why I haven't updated yet. I booked service for my car before going to vacation and let them know that I will drop my car after my vacation ends. I'm in another country for vacation so couldn't drop it before leaving. I will take it to the Seat dealer at 12 August. But I will update after that. Thanks for checking up

Reactions: MalteseSeat

Olsun

May 10, 2019
Sorry for very long late reply I totally forgot this thread

To the main issue there is nothing wrong with the car. The Seat dealer told me that the sound made by the starter is normal and that's how it supposed to sound. So any Ibiza owners with automatic gearbox don't be worried

Reactions: MalteseSeat

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Sorry for very long late reply I totally forgot this thread

To the main issue there is nothing wrong with the car. The Seat dealer told me that the sound made by the starter is normal and that's how it supposed to sound. So any Ibiza owners with automatic gearbox don't be worried

Hmmmm? Sorry to be be a "Party Pooper" but it doesn't sound good though does it? Personally I'd be wanting to hear another one, maybe their demo (if they have one with that gearbox) or sales car? If he literally meant the starter motor is ok making this noise then I disagree - the starter pinion recoil should not make a noise like this. so we're left with it being something to do with the flywheel DSG clutch pack which I have no experience with so can't comment with authority, but I can't believe that it should sound like that?

Olsun

May 10, 2019
Hmmmm? Sorry to be be a "Party Pooper" but it doesn't sound good though does it? Personally I'd be wanting to hear another one, maybe their demo (if they have one with that gearbox) or sales car? If he literally meant the starter motor is ok making this noise then I disagree - the starter pinion recoil should not make a noise like this. so we're left with it being something to do with the flywheel DSG clutch pack which I have no experience with so can't comment with authority, but I can't believe that it should sound like that?
They only had manuals in demo but they took in the car in the morning around 8 am and I came back the same day picked it up at 3 pm. Im no expert but I had no issue with the car since then.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
This answer from that dealer sounds a bit like the answer people were getting when complaining about the starter motor running too long after the engine has started, one "fix" fits all - and that "fix" is - "they all do that/nothing wrong that is the way it is meant to sound"!

Reactions: Crossthreaded