Donington BTCC under threat

Blimey - this is all a bit confusing...will it or won't it happen?

Gow has said it will happen if the appropriate licences are in place and general press states that they're looking for another venue in case.....ooooo the plot thickens....could be an expensive weekend all round if they move it.

Anybody already got tickets/hotels etc?

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Seems to me that while a circuit is undergoing a huge re-structuring and construction work it shouldn't be open to racing unless they can assure safety is not compromised. So I would fully support the MSA if they feel the track is not upto spec.

Reports of a potential debt crisis recently have been concerning too, however Simon Gillett seems confident that once the FIA inspection has taken place they will move forward with the plans.

Quoting Autosport "He also hopes that plans for the debenture scheme which will fund the circuit's revamp, that were originally due to be unveiled in March, can be announced in the next few days."

Hoping for funding and having funding are two different things surely?

Hope they sort it out successfully, Donington is a great and historic circuit and always produces thrilling racing.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Hoping for funding and having funding are two different things surely?

I am hoping to be a Millionaire soon - can I have a Porsche now?

Hope they sort it out successfully, Donington is a great and historic circuit and always produces thrilling racing.

You're right... except it used to be... but now it's been molested into a headline grabber

It's a massive oversight that they have no run off on the current circuit!

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I am hoping to be a Millionaire soon - can I have a Porsche now?

You're right... except it used to be... but now it's been molested into a headline grabber

Aye another Bernie inspired debacle, like Octagon and Brands Hatch. Lets hope not.

chungster

SCN Veteran
May 27, 2001
Bedfordshire, UK
Visit site
nice thread over on CGTI about the matter.

http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=182660

I mean, what kinda muppets would dig up an tunnel THAT close to the track, and then think its safe???

IMG_5092.jpg

absolute idiots and too right the MSA should revoke their licence.

Ian Carvell

Britcar has just moved our race from Donington to Rockingham on the 2nd May....shame because I love Donington, but Rockingham is a good alternative I guess.

Although I can see the problem with running the race with yellow flags from McLeans to Coppice with the speed differential that we have...if we get stuck behind a back marker in the yellow flag area it could cost us 10 seconds each time!!!

Fulvio has been instructing there recently and had NOT been happy! I know instructing and racing are different but I think it's a bit scarier when you're sat next to someone driving instead of being in charge of your own destiny!:D Nicer is you've got some 'space' to play with!

Still - they need to stop planes dumping fuel too so I think they have a bit of a job on all in all! The telling is when you have to use swarfega to get the film of crud of the top of your trucks after a meeting there...yuk.

jonbonb

i went to watch the GT cars racing at silverstone last sunday which was a race that was ment to be held at Donington, last minute change, i was told it was something to do with licencing! dunno details but doesn't sound great for BTCC round! GT's were good tho, mate of mine works for a team called Parr and his car won its class in one of the races so good times :D

chungster

SCN Veteran
May 27, 2001
Bedfordshire, UK
Visit site
bit silly isn't it. you're spending £100m to redevelop the track, yet don't pay the rent on the lease.

now you're potentially going to forfeit the lease and lose all the dosh you've splashed out on so far on developing the track (if those bills are paid for, which may not be)

This Simon Gillett character sounds rather pants! Bit like the pants mad idiot on the Apprentice!!!!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.