door seal replacement

nick9one1

Feb 14, 2010
Grimsby
I've been having the usual problems with my door skins leaking.
Last week I tried some silicone sealant, it worked well on the passenger side but not so well on the drivers.

Looking at alternatives,

1. OE skin seal from a dealer (unknown price)
2. Reseal with silicone
3. Using a sealing strip designed for boat hatches, lockers, car boots etc.

http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/bbCMS/shopping.asp?intDepartmentId=4

It was the Plain Expanded Neoprene I thought looked good.

you would bond it to the door skin then it would seal against the door when you tightened the bolts. Much like the OE one.

I'm about to order some but I'm unsure how thick I should go for? from memory the OE sealant is about 5mm?

12mm x 6mm x 6meters Grand total: £9.87

marv_n69

Standard'ish Cupra R 225
Jul 30, 2009
mine is the same mate but only drivers side footwell. Tired a few checks people mentioned on here but couldnt find anything out the ordinary. Seat were saying £120 all in to replace the seal ;-(

Keep us posted on what you decide mate and if it works ;-)

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
The genuine seal from seat is around £25 for all four doors, it's a very sticky compressible seal, nothing like in your link.
Takes the work out of bonding it yourself (unless that is what you want to do :))

marv_n69

Standard'ish Cupra R 225
Jul 30, 2009
Is that the door seal or the door carridge seal or are they the same?

nick9one1

Feb 14, 2010
Grimsby
Is the seal you get from SEAT not just a loop/strip of waterproof foam (neoprene) that has a single sticky side?

something like 6mm x 6mm?

Hamzilla

Feb 12, 2008
Watford, Herts
I have bought this from a Seat dealer a year ago and still need to fit it.
Its proper black rubber not yellow sponge foam or neoprene, and is sticky on both sides.
It comes in a hexagonal box for extra class :p. I will take a picture of it in next few days if you like.

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
I recently done mine with some Innotec stuff.......miles better than the standard stuff and will never leak in a million years now!

Its like a round foam with a very sticky outter....its used to re seal lights, doors or anything else that needs sealing in the motor trade.

marv_n69

Standard'ish Cupra R 225
Jul 30, 2009
I checked that out and all looked fine, covered with silicone just incase though lol!!! Next stop is a new door caridge seal

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.