Down pipe and turbo 5mm gap

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Ive noticed something. but im not sure if this is normal!
The gap between the turbo and the down pipe. there like a 5mm gap (fit a small screw driver throught the gap).
Started and checked, i couldnt seen any smoke coming from the gap.

Any suggestion guys?

DSC00822.jpg

DSC00821.jpg

longman

Stumped!
Mar 13, 2007
Nr Maidstone, Kent
I will have a look at mine as soon as I can.

Its possible that the Gap is there to take up any difference in fit between a male conical fitting from the turbo and the female equivilent on the DP. If the nuts are then tightened to a set torque, it will ensure a good seal bewteen the 2 parts.

The gap could be taken up more or less depending on the fit of the 2 parts

Just a guess from engineering experience. Could sketch if this makes no sense!

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
I will have a look at mine as soon as I can.

Its possible that the Gap is there to take up any difference in fit between a male conical fitting from the turbo and the female equivilent on the DP. If the nuts are then tightened to a set torque, it will ensure a good seal bewteen the 2 parts.

The gap could be taken up more or less depending on the fit of the 2 parts

Just a guess from engineering experience. Could sketch if this makes no sense!

That would be great! :D

longman

Stumped!
Mar 13, 2007
Nr Maidstone, Kent
I thought that initially Dave but he said he had started it and checked with no smoke. I would have thought it would be REALLY obvious if it was blowing then.

If its not, my above is all I can think of. Although, mine should be the same if I am right!

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Can you see through the Gap and see daylight the other side?

so took another shot, the pictures were taken from the top.

ive used a 2p coin. it goes in about half way. there are 3nuts i think that boldts the dwn pipe and turbo.
From loking from the top, the 1st left nut has a gap, that the 2p coin fits in, the 2nd nuts is tight so cant get the coin in,
i cant get under the car but assuming there is a gap 3rd nut as the 1st nut has gap.

ABCD0006.jpg

longman

Stumped!
Mar 13, 2007
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Still going to check mine....

I mean could you see daylight right through the gap, through the centre of the down pipe, not just around the edges where the nuts are?

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Still going to check mine....

I mean could you see daylight right through the gap, through the centre of the down pipe, not just around the edges where the nuts are?

no i cant but the penny ive tried goes ina bit then gets abit jammed,

longman

Stumped!
Mar 13, 2007
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Not trying to dis anything DPJ says. He most probably has more knowledge on it than me but if the gap is not all the way through and out the other side, through the centre of the pipe and turbo outlet, I would still thing my initial comment was probably true.

See what MIJ say I guess would be the best bet!!

This is what I meant...:

untitled.jpg

longman

Stumped!
Mar 13, 2007
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Dave

I am probably wrong mate. I have seen a set up like this on a 205GTI but that was ages ago and haven't looked closely at my Leon....

You have had yours off and in bits haven't you?

I am just surprised that Big Lads car does not sound like a tractor and emit flames from beneath whenever he lets off!!

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
the car feels abit sluggish some time spooling up plus you can hear it also. Its booked in with them 2morow morning.