DPF Experiences

Your experience of the Diesel Particulate Filter?

• Never seen DPF lights, no problems

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Seen DPF lights, DPF cleared with no problems

Votes: 56 23.8%
  • Seen DPF lights, had problems clear DPF

Votes: 26 11.1%
  • Seen DPF lights, new DPF required covered by warranty

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • Seen DPF lights, new DPF required NOT covered by warranty

Votes: 15 6.4%

• Total voters

cambobfr

I bought mine at 6 months old with around 7k on the clock. Almost straight away I had a problem with a sensor on the DPF. The sensor was replaced and all was ok, only occasionally saw the DPF light. The last two years however, I've not seen the DPF light at all. Having said that, I recently got an engine warning light which turned out to be caused by DPF sensor failure again. Since the warranty has just expired, I hard to fork out to have it replaced. Total cost for parts and labour, £197. I don't want to have to fork out this kind of money every time a sensor goes, so I'm now intending to have the DPF removed and a DPF-delete remap at a cost of around £745. This should also give me an mpg improvement of around 10-15mpg. Long term, it's the right move, but I'd definitely need to have the car for a few years for it to really pay off.

stewb

Evening all. I drive a TDi FR 2007. Where to start..........it has never run properly. Issues with cold start, misfiring, fuel injection, DPF etc etc.

I have had injector #4 and the fuel pump replaced on warranty.

I get lots of misfire and choked exhaust noise, but the dealer says its all DPF regeneration. So why is it doing it most of the time ? I drive 50 miles at speed each day.

The car broke down end July and I was towed home. Since the car is now out of warranty, I was charged £840 for injector #1 replacement. The car still ran rough and a couple of weeks later the DPF light came on, coupled with EMS light and ECS light, and into limp mode. New exhaust pressure sensor fitted. 4 days later, still lots of choked exhaust and misfire, plus idiling at c1000rpm. DPF light came on and back to the dealer.

Please can anyone help diagnose this issue, the car is costing me a bomb, and the dealer has not resolved these issues.

Thanks in anticipation.

wjohnson

Dec 17, 2008
The way I see it you've got two options I reckon.

a) Get rid of it and buy something without a pesky DPF.
b) Have one last spend on it and get rid of the DPF.

This is what I've basically said to myself should anything happen to mine. I would try stick to option b, its not that expensive (Compared to replacing the bloomin thing) Nets you a shed load more power and "should" fix a lot of the problems your detailing here.

That probably doesnt help much but thats what I would do.

stewb

Thanks. Its back in with the dealer now, so I will see what they come up with this week.

Stewart

ippo seat

I have a 2007 Altea 170 tdi fr & the dpf light has come on once about a year ago & cleared after appox 2 miles of driving at motorway speed. The car has covered 44500 miles & i have owned it since new 28000 of those miles were coved in the first year before i changed jobs so not sure there is a real problem with dpf.

jasonbarry

I have had a FR TDI 170 since November 2007, bought with 10,000 on the clock at 10 months old. I have had 3 DPF 'failures where the light comes on and it goes into limp home mode. The first two times despite driving at high revs it failed to clear and was into the Seat garage.

The 3rd time, it did clear temporarily a couple of times and then came back on. I mainly do rural roads as part of my commute and then into commuter urban traffic. The car is certainly getting a good run each day and the last time it failed in January I was actually doing regular motorway miles.

These have all been covered under warranty but now with the car 9 months out of warranty the injectors have failed. Like several posters, it's a great car to drive but it appears there are known problems with the 170 TDI engine

FinGerS o FuDgE

I've only ever had one problem with the DPF. Had it burnt off at a local garage and an EGT sensor on the exhuast replaced. My brother has a Leon FR and had exactly the same problem a week after.
Since then it's been fine. I'm going down the DPF Delete route within the next week or two as I no longer do high mileage & the DPF will end up clogging up.

Check out this topic if you haven't already, for some more info. A few of us have been trying to figure out through Vagcom, when & how the DPF goes into regen and how the crap system works:

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=289443

Lee

fadam

Oct 21, 2010
Cleveland
Ive had my 08 fr for around 3 months now and love the car but ive had the light on to clear the dpf around 4 or 5 times, My partner uses it for work which is about 7 miles each way through towns so is around 30mph. When we bought it we didnt know that we should have a spare car to use for this kind of journeys :banned:
The limp mode has now come on and it is in the seat garage. I was told it might be done under warrenty if it was just to reprogram the software that apparently fail sometimes. When i told them it had done 91000 miles they told me its not covered under warrenty, And that the dpf filters have an expectance life of around 90 -95000 miles then need replacing. [:@] Wish i had known this before i bought the car. Ive never bothered about milage on vag cars before, Just sold my A6 with 183000 miles on and ran like a dream and never had any problems with that car at all. If it needs a dpf then im affraid its going to be coming off. Cant beleive vag had got it wrong with this pdd ones, but apparently the newer cr version are ok again. Maybe should of saved up a bit more and got a newer one :doh:

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I have had a FR TDI 170 since November 2007, bought with 10,000 on the clock at 10 months old. I have had 3 DPF 'failures where the light comes on and it goes into limp home mode. The first two times despite driving at high revs it failed to clear and was into the Seat garage.

High revs will not clear your DPF it will block it up more. 2.5k revs is what's needed to clear it.

FenlandPosh

I am looking at buying a Leon FR TDI 170 but after reading all this and many other threads about this DPF i'm worrying about it and thinking I should stick with my clapped out Mondeo that I know is reliable. Should I be as worried as I'm getting or are these problems only on a small percentage of cars?

greenakd

Jun 20, 2007
Devon
I had a few issues with my 08 FR TDI with the DPF mlight coming on at regular intervals. So Far so good (touch wood) with my new 60 FR TDI had since September and no issues yet with the DPF. Only another issue with some slight grinding on Right corner and a rattle that seems to come and go.:shrug:

steroidchris

Feb 14, 2011
Brierley Hill
Ive just bought a 56 reg leon 170 fr. Does anyone know if the 170 has had the dpf fitted since it's production because i spoke to a tuning company earlier and they said that not all early models have them. Can anyone back this up for me??? I want to get it tuned up but this dpf business frightens me.

Wai

Hi all,

I brought my FR in Oct 2009, dealer in Marshalls Cambridge didn't say anything to me about the DPF, everything was fine till 2010. DPF has been on several times, over 10 times (I've lost count!), it's been to the dealers in Cambridge, Manchester and Stockport, several times, had various sensors replaced. The last straw was last week, usual thing, DPF light, then while trying to do a re-gen the limp home light, and then the emissions light. Took it to Marshalls Cambridge, after one day they decided to replace a sensor and then the next day they said that the DPF needed to be replaced! The total cost was to be £1800! I told them to get lost, considering I don't drive short journeys or like a nan! I paid the £150 they wanted for the "work" they had apparently done, which still had all the lights on, and they made me sign a disclaimer saying that I refused to get the work completed. I argued for about 30 mins but they weren't budging so I took my car elsewhere.

I had looked up some options and Jason at JWE in Hungtingdon was fantastic. He offered a cleaning service which he did, took him around 2 days, but he cleaned the filter and did a remap at the same time and was 1/3 of the price! Might never bother taking it back to Seat, and will be probably be doing the DPF delete or removing it completely.

Deleted member 62438

I voted - No problems.
Car Age - 6 weeks
Mileage - 1100 miles
Driving style - 90% trips under 5 miles. School runs/social calls/shopping. Foot flat down when road clear.

Glenn240

As said by others no mention of dpf or peculiar driving technique when buying 170 FR 57 plate 40,514 mls from Perrys at Aylesbury however the dpf was regenerated by Perrys or some work was carried out relating to dpf before I collected vehicle 14th dec 2010 since then I have done 3,500 mls. The engine management light has been put out by a friend at least three times fault code ( unknown component earth fault ) then glowplug light comes on when driving with loss of power, to clear this I turned off and on ignition whilst still driving, However 1 mile from home last week eng man light is on glowplug light comes on and switching ingition wont clear glowplug light then dpf light comes on and FR goes into limp mode the FR is taken to perrys for a regen, What a cheek they want to charge me but I insisted it was still within the years warrenty they said i had when i brought FR, Only then did they start to explain dpf stuff!!!!!!!!!!! if i had known about dpf i would have brought a different vehicle.

steroidchris

Feb 14, 2011
Brierley Hill
I've only owned my tdi Fr for 3 weeks and hadn't had the dpf light on, had it mapped yesterday and coming back from a decent run on A roads earlier, not really caning it and not driving miss daisy about, it comes on for about 5 seconds also with something on the display, that I didn't catch. Any ideas why it came on for that short of time?

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I've only owned my tdi Fr for 3 weeks and hadn't had the dpf light on, had it mapped yesterday and coming back from a decent run on A roads earlier, not really caning it and not driving miss daisy about, it comes on for about 5 seconds also with something on the display, that I didn't catch. Any ideas why it came on for that short of time?

It will be DPF + Glow plug warning light

That is the start of the End :cry:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.