Dpf regen

Paul Smith

Sep 10, 2018
Ok so my questions were answered today. The previous owner told me the dpf was removed and mapped out, I had my doubts but cool.

Driving home today dpf light came on. After 20 miles of driving with 2 briefs stopped when i re started the car the light was gone.

So how do you force a regen? Does it do it itself? How do you know it's done?

Sturtz1987

Nov 18, 2015
Ayrshire
I'm pretty sure you can check the saturation etc with vagcom and force a regen.

I know I can force them with my autotel code scanner.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I'm confused. Why would you want to force a regen when you don't have one? That doesn't sound a great idea to me. If its been mapped out, they should have mapped out the sensors as well. When you force a regen, more fuel is injected and the exhaust system gets hotter. I have no idea the consequence of doing that with no DPF.

Sturtz1987

Nov 18, 2015
Ayrshire
Ive completely missed the first paragraph as well sorry. Yeah I'm with you, if your dpf light has cane on then it sounds like there a problem with the method that it's been mapped out.

Paul Smith

Sep 10, 2018
My theory being that maybe it's not actually been removed. I think I will need to find a way of checking if the casing has been removed or hollowed out

Sturtz1987

Nov 18, 2015
Ayrshire
My theory being that maybe it's not actually been removed. I think I will need to find a way of checking if the casing has been removed or hollowed out
Can you not use live data from the pressure sensors? If it has been hollowed out they will be pretty similar. If dpf filter is still I side chamber it will have resistance.

DannyallenFR

Feb 16, 2018
If the light is on it hasn't been removed or mapped properly if the light was on when the engine stopped still and gone once restarted then it hasn't regened properly and you should get it to asap as it will block and cause problems believe me. You need to find out if it has 1 most importantly

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Can you not use live data from the pressure sensors? If it has been hollowed out they will be pretty similar. If dpf filter is still I side chamber it will have resistance.

Yep, looking at the readings from the pressure differential sensor with the engine running is the simplest way to answer if you have a DPF core still inside the housing or not.

Reactions: Sturtz1987

Paul Smith

Sep 10, 2018
Where exactly is the dpf located in the exhaust. I'm going to look to see if it's missing. My tool doesn't show a pressure differential sensor? Will have to get the laptop plugged in to see if it's on that.

Sturtz1987

Nov 18, 2015
Ayrshire
What year and engine is in your car? The dpf on my 2008 leon bmn 2.0L 16V is immediately after my turbo on the down pipe. You can see it from the top or bottom of engine, it's up behind engine against the bulkhead. Looks like a cylinder shape with a load of sensors and pipes coming out it. I've attached a picture from google of a generic dpf to give you a rough idea.
f932c2fdb03b81de9e724e20f4920446.jpg

Paul Smith

Sep 10, 2018
Thank you.
Mines still there lol. No obvious boost leaks although it's clear there has been rummaging and changing of pipes

Reactions: Sturtz1987

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
If you've got an android phone and obd connector. Try "Vag dpf". It worked for me. Tells you percentage full and more importantly time till next regen. Along with loads of other useful figures.

redrob0108

May 8, 2010
Hastings.East Sussex
I had the same prob couple of years back and changed different sensors as i believe senors are still left live,after 2nd remap failed to solve the problem i headed up from south coast to Darkside Developments for a 3rd map after full day running and new map i headed back to hotel 5 min journey only for light to pop up again so shot back to Darkside in very tempremental mood after 15mins they found frayed wired going to a sensor giving false reading 10 min repair to wire and never had a problem since

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.